Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Use all 14
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this bike somewhat built a few months ago, and posted on the internally geared forum, but family and work kept me from finishing the deal I have finally finished it and have a few miles on it, and I'm stoked!!! I had been on Niner bikes for the past few years, and took the leap and put a Rohloff on my SIR9. I rode it enough to know that a Rohloff was for me. I had a fit at the LBS, and Scott Quiring built me an awesome Ti frame. Thanks to RD Dale (crazy8) for the ceramic coated cranks; smokin!!!!

Quiring custom frame (check out Scott's Rohloff headtube cable routing)
Stan's Flow, Hope hub front
Stan's Flow, Rohloff hub rear
Shimano 970 XTR crankset, ceramic coated by CRAZY8 http://ceramikoat.com/
2010 Fox FIT RLC 100mm
Eriksen sweetpost ( oh yeah!!)
Ritchey 4 axis stem
Ritchey carbon 10 deg bar
yep, bb7's.

Attachments

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,739 Posts
Very nice! The cable routing for the shifter is very slick. Quirings always look so clean. The crank coating is nice too -- what size ring and cog are you using?

·
Use all 14
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Padre said:
Beautiful frame!

Did Scott mess up the heatube? Why is it so short?

Not at all. I'm only 5' 7" or so. 90mm headtubes are common for folks my height.

·
Use all 14
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PeT said:
Very nice! The cable routing for the shifter is very slick. Quirings always look so clean. The crank coating is nice too -- what size ring and cog are you using?
I run A 36X16. NO PROBLEMS FOR 2 YEARS>

·
'Calm Down'
854 Posts
I think he's referring to the stack of spacers. If they're required, the head tube could have been longer to eliminate the need.

Nice Q by the way. I'm still digging mine after three years.

Cheers,
jw

udlose302 said:
Not at all. I'm only 5' 7" or so. 90mm headtubes are common for folks my height.

·
Use all 14
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
smoen81 said:
What color coating did you get on your cranks? Your bike looks great.

The color on the cranks is satin magnesium. It was a tough choice since he has quite a few colors.

·
Use all 14
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GrumpyOne said:
I think he's referring to the stack of spacers. If they're required, the head tube could have been longer to eliminate the need.

Nice Q by the way. I'm still digging mine after three years.

Cheers,
jw
Yep, I see what your saying. Actually, I don't normally run the stem up as high, but at a 9 hr race I did recently, I was having some back trouble and wanted a more upright position. Turns out, I like it that way.

·
Use all 14
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yogii said:
Nice bike!! Why get the cranks coated???? Does it make cleanup easier? Must add weight, no?
I had the cranks coated for 1, why build a custom bike, and have it look the same as everything else on the trail. 2, Most cranks have heel rub marks; after only a few rides. Crazy8 says his coating is durable and resists this. 3, Weight? Wow, I'm not sure about that, but I ride a Rohloff. A few grams, no worries.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
udlose302 said:
Oh for sure.

I guess what I mean is...30mm of spacers, a riser stem and a riser bar...made me think that the builder may have messed up on the headtube length making it too short.

·
Stokeless Asshat
3,360 Posts
Padre said:
Oh for sure.

I guess what I mean is...30mm of spacers, a riser stem and a riser bar...made me think that the builder may have messed up on the headtube length making it too short.
I'm surprised you didn't pick on the set back post also Padre.....

J

·
Registered
802 Posts
My coatings are a product of nano technology developed for use by the automotive and aerospace industries to protect and perform in the harshest environments. The properties that make ceramic ideal for application to cranks, rings, cogs, and cassette's. * Super light weight approx 2g to coat a set of cranks, * Abrasive wear resistantace 9+ on Mohl scale, wont chip, crack, fade or peel from substrate. * Self lubricating and non stick.
I've been using ceramic on bike components over 4yrs. with outstanding results.

Your Q build looks great with the Satin Mag and I appreciate the promo. Let me know what you think of the durability of the coating as you put the miles on them.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Padre said:
Oh for sure.

Looks to me like he's using Ritchey's take on the Fleegle bar - I don't think I'd call that a riser bar, just a flat bar with a lot of back sweep. :thumbsup:

·
Use all 14
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Padre said:
Oh for sure.

Scott built the bike just as I asked. He's an outstanding builder and built the bike just as the fit determined. I'm a bike rider, not a racer. It climbs great and is comfortable for the 2-3 hour rides I do. When it comes to cutting a steerer tube, I think it's best to leave a little extra, just in case. For the record, I've had four knee operations, and several broken bones, (www.goarmy.com) and comfort on the trail is my biggest concern.Just thought I'd share my bike with the forum.

·
Stokeless Asshat
3,360 Posts
Nice bike BTW. Scott's on my short list for builders.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 35 Posts