Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Actually, a 39T is pretty useful on a snow bike. I often want something lower than 22x34. I'll probably just get a 20T granny, but still, that's not that big of a change.

·
Registered
954 Posts
This is a good thing for riding in Korea where switchbacks are as rare as a good Korean beer (or Korean blond) and the traction is good.

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
HardTail29er said:
my track stand is faster than that!
I don't care who you are....that's funny right there

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
He buys an Actiontec cassette and doesn't spring for a new chain?

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rockcrusher said:
how does that SLX derailleur mesh with those large gears?

Color me intrigued..
As far as I know It clears 38 whereas interferes with 39T. You just need longer screws to adjust the cage range or something like that and then it works fine- how fine? I'll ask the owner and will keep up updated. The teeth are a bit too protuding and steep.
It will be used on 3x8/9 or 2x9 or even 1x9.
For a 29er 20x39 on AM 16 kg is needed on over 30% ascends. That's where the difference pop in- either walking or riding.

·
Always Learning
9,607 Posts
Davidcopperfield said:
Good evening to you :thumbsup:

My acquaintance's 39T custom cassette just rolled tonight on the snow&ice shrouded whereabouts.
What about yours 39T Actiontec or other cassettes what about clearances for long cages derelaiieurs?
Coolio. Nice to see one of the Action-Tec large cassette rings. That matches a 203mm brake rotor quite well.:D

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
if the hill is steep enough to warrant a 39t cog, how do you keep from wheelieing(wheelying? wheeliing?)?? i have trouble imagining not getting really, really bored at that speed.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
All comments apply Why The FVCK :rolleyes: :skep: try going to the supermarket and buying some food and gainning some muscle or something :rolleyes: I have enough trouble going at speed my 24-34 my granny/granny combo gives me and balancing and we definitely don't have switchbacks here.

David, David, david you are contradicting yourself here :skep: according to you 29ers are the holy grail, the 2nd coming, they let you do everything better and yet here you are looking for a serious crutch to put on your 29er. (if you have one, still not 100% on that). You know what I found when I got a 29er, I found I could actually, (with the taller effective gearing) still push a taller gear combo than I did before on my 26er - guess you're not as devote as you say you are and 29ers do have draw backs :rolleyes:

it's like a damn wreck, you know you shouldn't and yet you still do :madman:

·
Always Learning
9,607 Posts
playpunk said:
39th cassette? I'm not even a *real* racer and I have no problem with a 32 as my biggest cog.

If you need a 22 x 39 as your lowest gear...... words fail.

Did he say it would for certain be used with a 22 granny?

Here's what he said...

It will be used on 3x8/9 or 2x9 or even 1x9.

I can think of some 1 x 9 and 2 x 9 combinations that make sense to me for one of the Action-Tec larger rear cassette cogs (36, 38 or 39T). I ran a 2x9 with a 29T/42T last year up front and an 11-34 in the rear. There were times I could see having a 36 or 38 cog in the rear with the 29T up front would have saved my legs on the out of saddle steep, steep sustained climbs. And I've ridden stuff in the Alps and in California that a 20T granny and a 34T rear cog could not handle. Plenty of challenges out there and I find it difficult to criticize other riders when we don't know what they face.

I can also think of some combinations that make sense to run a 12-27 Dura Ace cassette in the rear with some chainrings in the front that you might find odd.

Lots of choices and options available.

There are climbs out there that would have you questioning your 32 cog in the rear, big time.

BB

·
San Diego County
1,475 Posts
BruceBrown said:
Plenty of challenges out there and I find it difficult to criticize other riders when we don't know what they face.BB
I agree BB. Every time someone talks about low gears the boys from Indiana, Iowa and such chime in with "WTF? grow a pair" I'm not sure these guys even know what a mountain looks like.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Schmucker said:
Actually, a 39T is pretty useful on a snow bike. I often want something lower than 22x34. I'll probably just get a 20T granny, but still, that's not that big of a change.
You may be surprised at how well it works. I'm a heavy rider and not that strong. I really like the difference the 20t provides.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts