Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After months of collecting parts, I've finished my first complete build.

19" Access XCL 9R frame from Performance
XT Front and Rear
SLX Crank/Shifters
Avid Brakes
Reba Race
Bontrager Ranger
27 lbs (bathroom scale)
$950 Price Tag

First post, but have been a long time reader. Keep up the good threads.

I love the climbing traction and downhill rolling speed of this bike. Amazingly fast.

Enjoy.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
I like that your cable matches the text on the bike. I think that red/orange might be a nice accent to use all over.

Also, that might be a good seat I dunno, but you have it way forward on the rails. You could run that seat backwards 2" and use a shorter stem and you'd have same cockpit length - only you'd have better steering and your weight would be further back over rear wheel for more control, less chance of endo, and better rear traction.

Still, sweet bike anyway. Have fun with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the input thanoz. i'll mess around with the seat adjustments tomorrow and see how it feels.

·
Registered
75 Posts
No prob. If you happen to have a spare shorter stem handy to swap out, you can have nearly the same fit when you move the seat back. Longer stems like that make steering inputs a lot slower and make it harder to lift up the front end over obstacles etc. They do make for a more stretched out roadie-type ride if you're going really fast XC, the slower feel could even be desirable depending on what kind of feel you like.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
To each their own. I have my saddle forward in the rails like that too. Personally, I don't like my saddle mounted too far back. Makes me feel like I'm behind the cranks instead of being over them. Makes my back hurt on long climbs too.

Nice build. Enjoy!

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
The saddle might only stand out like that because of the offset head on the seatpost. Put a zero offset post like a Thomson on there and it might not look odd at all. I like my weight further back too, but there is nothing wrong with that setup if it fits right

·
bigger is better ...
106 Posts
Hello, just admiring your build.

May I ask where you got most your components from aside from the frame which I can figure :)

Thanks

·
Bedwards Of The West
5,451 Posts
I'm 3/4 of the way through my Access build...thanks for the pics. I'm inspired :) Mine's a 21" frame. Otherwise very similar. in terms of the build. Jethrow, the Pricepoint end of the year sale was huge for me in terms of parts collection :)

I like the red cables too...I got red lock-on grips, and I haven't bought cable housing yet... might have to carry on the red theme. I also have red nipples on the wheels I got for it.

I usually have my seat all the way back on the rails, with the seatpost mounted as far forward on the seat as possible. It's all personal preference.

Talk to me about the front Derailleur... no issues with the low mount? I like the looks of it...very out of the way.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have only one ride on mine but I am very impressed with the way it rides. Very stiff in the BB and still compliant. I actually like it better than my Karate Monkey. Most my parts I had laying around or took from the KM.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@ Jethrow - - I kept my eyes open for sales at bike shops mostly. I also scored the wheels at a local bike swap. New bike takeoff's are your friend. They sell components for like 50% retail price (or better) that are 99% new.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@CommuterBoy - - I had almost no issues with the top swing front derailleur. You can kind of see there is about an inch or so of free space until the joint at the bottom of the frame. I did have to mount it a tiny bit (like a couple mm) higher than i wanted because it would hit the chainstay tube when shifting. The XT derailleur is pretty massive though. It still shifts like a champ and no rubbing anywhere.

·
Bedwards Of The West
5,451 Posts
^^ Thanks. I'll go that route too probably. I like the top swing but didn't know if it would fit right. Where did you score your Reba and what did you pay, if you don't mind me asking? That's the pricy part that's holding up my build...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I picked up the fork used off Craigslist. It had been used for a season, but is in great shape. I only paid $150 for it. I was in the same boat as you... looking for an inexpensive fork without sacrificing too much quality. I was watching EBay/CL for a few months for it. EBay you'll probably pay $250ish used for Reba.

·
Registered
37 Posts
nice bike

I'm about ready to buy the same frame in a 19". I was curious of your height and inseam. Reason I ask is it seems to have a long headtube. I'd like to be able to run my bar about an inch lower than my saddle height. Yours looks about even?

Also curious of it's painted or powder coated.....I'm thinking of stripping it and leaving it raw!

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
mark439 said:
I'm about ready to buy the same frame in a 19". I was curious of your height and inseam. Reason I ask is it seems to have a long headtube. I'd like to be able to run my bar about an inch lower than my saddle height. Yours looks about even?

Also curious of it's painted or powder coated.....I'm thinking of stripping it and leaving it raw!
Don't go by just looks. The OP appears to have a somewhat low saddle height for 19" frame and also has a long stem with some rise. If you are a taller person with a higher saddle height and use shallower angled or flipped stem you shouldn't have a problem getting a couple inches of drop with an 80mm fork.

That headtube actually doesn't look long either

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@mark439 - - I'm a hair over 6' tall and the jeans I buy are 32" inseam. I agree with what boomn says about being able to get your saddle above the bar... shouldn't be a problem with the right stem / suspension / saddle height.

As far as paint goes... honestly i'm not sure how to tell... but it's good quality.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Great first build and solid parts spec! Make sure you adjust the position of your front Quick Release though.....should be pointing up :thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts