Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As promised here it is. I must give special thanks up front to a few people.

1) Craig Smith at Mendon Cycle Works. I met him yesterday and he hooked me up with my new Lefty, Clownshoe front wheel and a whole lot of fat bike knowledge.

2) All the boy's I work with at The Bikery in Baldwinsville NY. Mark,Terry and Scott for all there help in set up and figuring out how to build this thing.

3) Colin Treanor at Fatbikes.com for the awesome frame and help with the purchase.

I still have some tweaking to do but I took it for a one hour shake down ride tonight. It handled better than I expected and it definitely is not slow. I averaged 12.1 mph on a flat gravely/rocky course. This bike will roll over and climb anything. The traction is sick!

Yes I know my Lefty is not RED yet. It will be next week.

Yes I know my rear tire is not lined up properly with the lettering on the rim. It will be next week when I go tubeless.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The last few were after the shake down ride tonight.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Here are the specs.

Gene’s Fat Bike Build Specs
1) 9-ZERO-7, 170, CENTERED, LARGE FRAME, BLACK
2) 9-ZERO-7 REAR HUB, BLACK
3) AVID X7 HYDRAULIC BRAKES
4) ASHIMA 160 BRAKE ROTORS, RED CENTERS
5) BONTRAGER SADDLE, BLACK, RED TRIM
6) CANNONDALE LEFTY FORK, BLACK & RED, (RED COMING SOON)
7) CANNONDALE LEFTY FRONT HUB, BLACK
8) FSA CARBON STEM, BLACK, RED TRIM
9) FSA HEAD SET, RED
10) ODI LOCKING GRIPS, LARGE, BLACK, RED CLAMPS
11) RACE FACE CARBON SEAT POST, BLACK
12) SHIMANO M540 PEDALS, OOPS, NOT BLACK, HAD THEM HANGING AROUND
13) SHIMANO XTR FRONT DERAILLEUR
14) SHIMANO XT REAR DERAILLEUR
15) SHIMANO XT SHIFTERS, 2 X 10
16) SHIMANO 10 SPEED CHAIN OOPS, NOT BLACK
17) SRAM TRUVATIV NDR T30 CARBON BAR, BLACK, RED TRIM
18) SRAM 11 X 36 10 SPEED CASSETTE
19) SURLY BIG FAT LARRY TIRES, 4.7 IN.
20) SURLY CLOWNSHOE 100 MM RIMS, BLACK, BLACK SPOKES, RED NIP’S
21) SURLY MWOD CRANK SET, 175 MM, BLACK
22) SURLY RIM STRIPS, RED
23) SURLY TUBES FOR A FEW DAYS, (GOING TUBELESS NEXT WEEK)

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow great bike!!!

Few Q's:

do you know the weight?
and
How does it handle? I noticed an increased wheelbase with the lefty?
I will weigh it this week. I don't think it is any heavier than a full suspension aluminum bike.
Handling was great. The steering is actually quick. It feels like my Superfly 29 er with much bigger tires. I will play with the tire pressure this week when I go tubeless, which should lighten it considerably.
I am going to take it to the local trail next weekend and turn some heads.

·
Registered
221 Posts

Congrats on the bike... looks great. Am I right in assuming that is a new version of the Mendon clamps? ... wider stance between clamps to fit the larger 9:zero:7 head tube.
If so, are these readily available now? Cheers Murray

·
Registered
251 Posts
Beautiful Ride!!! - I have a question about your MWOD drivetrain

My first 907 frame was black and there are days where I wish I had stuck with that color for the matching 907 fork.A friend and I both have 2012 907s and we both are now running MWODs with 33/24 and 33/26 MWOD chainrings. My friend has an XT FD and I believe mine is SRAM x7 (have to double check that). In any case, are you having any shifting problems?

We both experience issues with shifting into the big ring from the granny. Interesting enough, my friend does his own mechanical work but I had taken mine to a bike shop and yet we both still run into problems with shifting performance. Enough so that we are considering getting rid of the front derailler and just running it as a 1x10 or just ditching the Surly MWOD crank altogether.

Also, are you running into any clearance issues with the BFLs and clown shoes? We both are running Nates on RDs and even with the MWOD there is very little clearance when in the 36 rear and granny ring (which is in the middle position of the MWOD rings).

Thanks,

1 - 20 of 113 Posts