Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the camera out this morning, so I thought it would be fun to show off my bike fleet. All 700c, all the time these days. I've had a lot of turnover in the last year, and my collection has inched up to five bikes:

My main mountain ride was just finished by Walt late this winter. No disc brakes, no gears, no suspension correction, just plain and simple... although I did ask Walt to leave a derailer hanger so I could go 1x9 in the future if I want to. I have 32 and 36 rings up front, and a 20t FW and 16t disc cog on the back. Theoretically, this gives me a FW mountain gear and a fixed road gear. In practice, this is a bit of a pain to do, what with the Surly tensioner and all.

About once a year I get the desire for a full sus bike. This time, the availability of a used frame on ebay matched my desire, never a good thing. The difficulty of getting my latest desire to coincide with a good deal is what keeps my bike collection size in check. I had the fork and a few other bits, but I ended up needing to buy more than I thought: wheels, brakes, and the entire drivetrain. Yes, that's a 3" travel fork where it should be 4", but it rides fine. I'm liking the disc brakes....

This Rig was something I bought used while I waited for my Waltworks to finish. Now, it's been relegated to child seat duty. I had to jury-Rig (get it? ha ha!) a derailer hanger on there to make it a 1x8, but it's not very slick: the hanger is attached to the QR axle, so whenever I remove the wheel, the derailer falls off. I'm enjoying these rides with my son quite a bit, so I might upgrade this to a nicer frame. Aluminum hardtails aren't for me. Maybe I'll get one of the Inbred frames from Unreal cycles, or even convert the WW over, since our trails are so drenched this spring.

My longest serving bikes is my trusty Gunnar Crosshairs. I bought this used back in 2000? 2001? I'm not sure. It's my main road ride, but it's also been a touring bike, a fixed gear, off road, fixed gear off road... just never 'cross racing. Maybe this year. I don't normally ride toe clips, but I'm giving them a try to see if they help my creaky knees.

My Casseroll was from Jenson's blowout sale last summer. I set mine up to be an imitation of the Ibis Scorcher, with turned over Mary bars and a fixed gear. The rear wheel is actually a 7 speed Shimano hub that one of my buddies welded closed. Works just fine, and the chainline is easy to adjust.

Now this happens every time: I work my way up to five bikes, and I start getting fidgety, thinking how I can reduce them. Do I really need a full sus bike? The Salsa is functional, but I just don't love it. Once I get beyond three bikes, this always happens. This time, I may try to trick myself and hide some bikes in the basement. Cheaper that way than selling and buying every cycle.

Eric

·
Registered
340 Posts
Nice photos. I have that problem sometimes with bikes, too... always seem to want one more or one less. I've got a friend who says every avid cyclist needs three bikes- road bike, mountain bike, dork bike. So, that'd be your Walt, Gunnar, and GF.

Of course, I've got six. Two I never ride, and two more are battling for that third "dork bike" slot...

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the same core three, but then my road and mountain split with single and geared, giving me five. I don't feel the need for a single speed dork bike. Not yet, at least.

John_Biker said:
Nice photos. I have that problem sometimes with bikes, too... always seem to want one more or one less. I've got a friend who says every avid cyclist needs three bikes- road bike, mountain bike, dork bike. So, that'd be your Walt, Gunnar, and GF.

Of course, I've got six. Two I never ride, and two more are battling for that third "dork bike" slot...

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I'm tall, and it's hard to get the bars up high enough. That's one benefit lost with the switch from threaded headsets. On the plus side, I don't have to spend time cutting fork steerer tubes :thumbsup:

Vortechcoupe said:
holy headset spacers!! at least none of those forks are carbon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.