Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, my ASR-SL now has company. My new 575 is here.

Wheels custom-built by Larry - 819s with Hadley hubs (red)
Easton EC-70 oversized carbon bar
Ritchey WCS stem
Vanilla RLC
Thomson Elite Seatpost
Raceface Turbine LP crankset
SRAM X-7 Shifters, X-9 rear Der, and Gen-X front Der
Raceface Deus Headset (no longer suporting CK)
Avid Speed Dial Ti levers with Mechanical Discs
Kenda Nevegal Stick-E 2.1 front with 1.95 Nevegal DTC rears
WTB Rocket V seat- may switch to Fizik Nisene- not sure yet
Cables- Avid Flak Jacket set
Weight WITHOUT pedals (Speedplay Frogs) is 27.7 lbs

The matte black Ano finish is really nice. I don't want to think about how much I have in this and the ASR-SL now but next season sure will be fun. Thanks to everyone who helped me choose the components.

Attachments

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Nice bike. I actually saw your 575 up at Larry's late last week. I am deciding between a 575 & a 5 Spot, and was up checking out a Spot frame.

I was a bit surprised to see a 575 when I walked in so I gave it a pretty good once over. I'm having him build me a Hadley/DT5.1 wheel up with a 20mm hub as regardless of frame choice I'm going with a Pike Air U Turn.

Maybe we'll see you on the trails (when they thaw and dry)....

·
I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
Bike looks great! Only thing you may reconsider is the rear tire. I've tried those DTC lite tires and the traction was terrible in loose stuff, then on about my 6th ride I sliced the sidewall in the rear on some shale rock and the even Stan's couldn't seal it up....I tossed the tire in the trash can and put on a 2.1 Nevegal ;)

·
I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
Flyer said:
Sorry, I lied- the rear tire is a 1.95 Nevegal Stick-E as well- on both bikes- same tire setup. Here's the older brother.
Another nice bike :D

Unless I'm mistaken I thought the 1.95 Nevegal was only available in a DTC/lite version. According to Kenda's website that is the case, but it could be outdated :confused: Either way you must be happy with it if you're running it on your other bike so I'll just shut up now!

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, your point may be well made and I appreciate the info. Actually, I've been using non-UST Karmas with Stan's for a while with no problems. These tires are brand new on both bikes. The 1.95 does say "L3R Pro" and "Stick-E". The 2.1 says the same thing. However, I have two more of the 1.95s in the box and the box says "Dual Compound". Since I'm good and confused now, I will see how they hold up. They look more beefy than the Karmas so they may hold up well. If I have trouble with them, I'll simply sell the two extra 1.95s I have and throw on the 2.1s.

·
EDR
10,274 Posts
Flyer said:
Is there a good way to take the stickers off the rims. They seem to be on pretty good. Should I be using a blow-dryer to heat them up or something?
Ohhh don't do that, lol.

I have 819's and I find myself missing those crazy looking stickers from my Crossmax Enduros, haha.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I couldn't resist and added up the total cost of this bike. Keep in mind that I paid less than retail on most components (including frame) and I ended up spending around $3,300 on the bike. The wheels were around $575 so that was a big part but still, that is a chunk of change.

The ASR-SL was close to that as well but that was in 2004. When I started the 575, I could not really see beyond the frame and fork for some reason. I guess I was in denial of some sort :)

I really have to ease up on bike and bike stuff next year. Are you guys also spending the same kind of money every year? Definitely no more bikes for a few years. Lesson: maybe adding up all the costs isn't a good idea- I'm still in shock.

·
pedal pusher
2,234 Posts
Flyer said:
Well, I couldn't resist and added up the total cost
I really have to ease up on bike and bike stuff next year. Are you guys also spending the same kind of money every year? Definitely no more bikes for a few years. Lesson: maybe adding up all the costs isn't a good idea- I'm still in shock.
My year to date at my LBS is over $11,000, dont tell my wife. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts