Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

did the maths and its easier for me to use a 11-32 cassette with 26-36t chainrings. I don't have to change the cranks to 94/58 BCD as those rings fit my XTs. The low ratio is lower than a 29-34combo and the high is just short of a comparable 44-12. I hardly use the top two gears on the road let alone in tight twisty singletrack...

Will let you know how i get on.

c

·
Registered
469 Posts
I just changed to 2x9 with 24/36 rings up front, seems to work pretty well. I still have an 11-34 cassette in back and I think I might leave it that way. That last gear doesn't get used much, but when it does, I really appreciate having it there.

Adding a bashguard is probably the best upgrade I have made on my bike thus far.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
26-36t w/11-34 cassette. The 26t granny keeps my momentum up on th' steep tech climbs. 22-24t granny's was like sitting still and spinning. 26-36-bash = best setup I've ever ran.

GrantB, I use mine quite often as everything here in the western end of NC is up an' down. Bomb the dh, cross a creek, settle in for 45 min to 1 hr climbs. I use the 26t granny for the steep stuff after I've been riding for a few hrs, also shift to lower gears, (granny/ft, 34/bk), to let the lactic acid burn off and then grab higher gears and get back into climbing. The latter is a technique used by the Olympic cyclists and "it works very well". Legs burning ? don't stop, shift to lowest gears so you're just spinning the cranks w/out pressure on them, this burns off the lactic acid and then you can continue riding w/out stopping at all. This technique and "spinning rather than pedaling" are the two best things I've learned about riding in a loooong time.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
i've thought about getting a 26T granny and going back to 2x9....but i don't really think i'd use it. no troubles with 36T and an 11-26 cassette in the hills of pittsburgh at that.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'm using it on a steel XC hardtail as i'm more of a spinner than a 'push the biggest gear' type of rider. having said that, another option is 26-38 front, but i'm having issues finding a shifting 38t 4bolt 104bcd ring.

does anyone know who makes one?

c

·
Good For You
407 Posts
chuggboy said:
i'm using it on a steel XC hardtail as i'm more of a spinner than a 'push the biggest gear' type of rider. having said that, another option is 26-38 front, but i'm having issues finding a shifting 38t 4bolt 104bcd ring.

does anyone know who makes one?

c
I'm looking at one on my desk right now. Its made by Blackspire, you can get them direct from Blackspire in Canadia or Web Cyclery (where I got mine) in the States, they also make a 26T 64BCD (also got from Web Cyclery).

·
wuss
2,380 Posts
I'm changing back to 2x9 after adding a new trail as my regular. I managed most places with 1x9 but no way on this trail (I've spent almost a year trying). I have been thinking 24/36 and keeping 11-34 on the back.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, everything is up and running, the only issue that i have is i can't get the front derallieur low enough so that the cage is just above the 36t. the back of the cage hits the chainstay before it gets close to the teeth. it's about 10-11mm from the chainring.

do i have to use a road derallieur? it's shifting fine, and the chain isn't being thrown off.

c

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
GrantB said:
How often are you guys even using the 24 or 26 up front?
A lot more than I expected. I find the 24 granny on my 29er a very usable ring for much of my riding and racing. Basically any time I am going into long stretches of tight singletrack or steepish climbs where I am going to stay seated I am in my 24. With gripshift and sram road front der's, the shifting performance has been spot on.

I may try a 34 middle and try a 24/34 with my 11-34 out back on my fs 29er. That is the combo I'd go with if I had the need for new front rings. I have seldom been in the 36-11 combo even racing. I'd go 26/36 with and 11-34 on a 26er.

G

·
Registered
832 Posts
chuggboy said:
ok, everything is up and running, the only issue that i have is i can't get the front derallieur low enough so that the cage is just above the 36t. the back of the cage hits the chainstay before it gets close to the teeth. it's about 10-11mm from the chainring.

do i have to use a road derallieur? it's shifting fine, and the chain isn't being thrown off.

c
If you had a 3 ring setup before, you shouldn't need to touch the front derailleur at all. Granted it will be high, but it will function just fine. You just adjust the high limit screw.

I have an e-type front derailleur so when I went to a 2x9 setup, I didn't have a choice on derailleur position. I've been running it for about a month now with no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
536 Posts
chuggboy said:

c
Run it high until the new SLX and Saint derailleurs come out, they're designed for a 26/36 2x9 setup and won't hit the chainstay.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
again, awesome, thanks for the tips.

i really like the 36t for flinging along singletrack, its nice not having to shift the front every few corners. a lot smoother out back...

c

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
chuggboy said:

c
Get a bash guard to fill up the extra space...you'll be glad you did. Your ft derailluer isn't made to fit as low as the 36t ring. Run it at the normal height and get a bash guard.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
MI_canuck said:
for those running 2x9 - what cranks are you running? truvativ, race face, shimano?

cheers
you'll find that everyone is using a pretty wide mix of all the above. having said that, my 2x9 (now 1x9) is a bontrager big earl

other crankset is a truvativ fire-x

·
Registered
493 Posts
Ive got a Truvativ Stylo 3.3...Id like to drop a gear and run 2x9 because I never really use the extreme gears hi or low....All I can find online in the 104bdc 4 bolt is 36t and 24t from webcyclery. If I order these, will it be a good spread with a 11-32 cassette? (ive got a 11-34 now but will likely get a lighter 11-32 soon)...Without adding a bashguard, do I need to get different bolts or is this a pretty simple swap? I know Ill have to adjust the limit screws but other than that what do I need to look for or any other rings you suggest?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.