Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
bike geek
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I was so happy with how my Waltworks 29er turned out, I decided to ditch the scandium/carbon Sycip road bike I bought 2nd-hand last summer and have Walt build me a steel road frame. You just can't beat the ride of a thoughtfully built steel frame. Scandium frame with carbon stays was a bit too racer boy/techie for me anyway.

First ride impressions are off the charts. 2 hour figure 8 loop yesterday on some good hills proved it a smooth, worthy climber and stable descender. Very comfortable, though I may still cut down the steerer 1cm or so. Total weight at 19.5lbs is only a pound heavier than my Sycip was. Built with Ultegra 10 (would have preferred 9spd, but Walt said he could get 10spd cheaper), Easton carbon fork, Chris King/Open Pro wheels, WCS/Thomson bits here and there. The Sycip boys did the powdercoat.

Net/net I was able to get into this with almost nothing out of pocket after selling the Sycip, so it feels extra good! :D

I figure there are enough people here interested in seeing more of Walt's work, be it a 29er or not, so here it is.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Verrry nice!
I agree. If I would see myself ready to order a new steel road or CX frame, I'd get it from someone like Walt who's into 29" and other new things. An Italian roadie geek probably has a vision on cycling don't even understand, and vise versa.
Cool, a 29"er and a road bike by the same man. I've got Surly's that way. Loved my KM to death, first-ever steel, and then got a Pacer and Cross-Check, neither disappointed. Designed and made by the same people, and loaded with the same bike karma.

Didn't Walt try to sell you on the much lighter IRD road rims, which he even uses for offroading? ;-)

My personal tip : Rivendell 28mm tires, the lightest kind, don't remember the model. It makes THAT much of a difference. Drop 20-30psi over 23mm's, and enjoy the smoothness. Roadies have this idea about wide tires that they're slow, I can't say I've noticed that, and Schwalbe also says wider is faster.

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
It's practically a rigid niner!

thanks for sharing your new beauty. my WW should be coming by next week- wow, this is really more fuel for my fire of excitement. in the back of my mind, i already believe this will be my best bike ever. with all the road riding i do (have been a "roadie" since '85- shhhh, don't tell! :D ), something tells me a WW road bike will be in my future.
in the meantime, i am just licking my chops and being as patient as i can for my knobby tired, big wheeled steed to come on in! :)

·
bike geek
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cloxxki said:
Verrry nice!

Didn't Walt try to sell you on the much lighter IRD road rims, which he even uses for offroading? ;-)

My personal tip : Rivendell 28mm tires, the lightest kind, don't remember the model. It makes THAT much of a difference. Drop 20-30psi over 23mm's, and enjoy the smoothness. Roadies have this idea about wide tires that they're slow, I can't say I've noticed that, and Schwalbe also says wider is faster.
Thanks Clox, and others. You must be talking about the Rivendell Roly Poly 27mm tires? Kevlar bead, checkerboard tread pattern? I've actually got a set (on my Surly Pacer commuter/trainer bike) and I agree they are nice. They come in the Speedblend version too, maybe that'd be cool! I was actually thinking I'd get another set of the Tufo tubular clinchers which I had on my Sycip, but they're spendy at $65 each. I like the safety factor the Tufo design provides if you have a high speed blowout. Plus, you can still ride a flat tire safely if you have to without crunching the rim.

Walt didnt have a chance to sell me on the IRD rims, since I already had this wheelset (I'd forgotten just how loud the CK buzz is!!).

OneGearGuy- So are you Ed E or Randy A (or Natalie?!)? I see Walt's now got his waiting list on the website...you've been waiting a long time it seems!! I placed this order just after Christmas, and would have had it a few weeks ago, had I not chosen to have someone besides Walt to the PC. Almost 4 months from ordering to riding. It seems long while you're waiting, but once you get it, you'll forget.

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
can't crack the code

hey tamjam-

funny that you mentioned the wait list page on Walt's site. i don't understand how he named us (protective aliases), so i don't know which one i am, lol. :p
but i should be one of the next to go out the door. Walt told me my frame was due back from powder coat this week (putting the blue into the "BlueBomber") and then he ships it one or two days after recieving it from PC.

i am really enjoying looking at your pics, man!
i... must... resist... :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.