Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
I like to ride my bicycle
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of putting together a 29er singlespeed. Check out the pics:

The frame is a COG Bicycles Uber Alles ("Above all") singlespeed-specific 29er, made from 100% Columbus Zona tubing. Horizontal rear dropouts, no shifter cable guides or V-brake mounts so it is nice and clean! COG Bicycles is the brand of the owner of our local bike shop/cafe.

The build will be a combination of bling and budget. I don't have endless funds unfortunately! The fork is a PRO carbon rigid fork with the crown and "socks" (?) painted white. A Cane Creek S3 headset has been installed. Wheels will be built from a set of blue Hope hubs, white Velocity Blunt rims, silver DT Comp spokes and blue nipples, and Racing Ralph tyres. Deore square taper bottom bracket and White Industries ENO crankset. LX brakes. Ritchey WCS Carbon bar, Ritchey Pro alloy stem and seatpost.

Can't wait to get it finished! The only thing holding up the build is the rims. They have been ordered for six weeks or more but haven't come in yet, but I heard yesterday they should be ready soon.

·
nothing to see here
3,279 Posts
Nice build! Looking forward to seeing the finished product. I might pop into Cog to see it next weekend.

·
808+909 = Party Good Time
2,072 Posts
Great build HB. That frame is the nicest, COG make sweet rides. And nice choice of fork. Should ride sweet as. Can't wait to see the finished product.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Good choice with the track dropouts. No trouble with eccentric bottom brackets and stuff. As long as you don't run gears and the wheel falls out behind you!

"Uber Alles" - I suppose it means that singlespeeding is more important to you (owner of bike) than anything else. Damo is not German by any chance?

·
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This bike is always going to be a singlespeed.

"Uber Alles"? I thought it means that the frame is simply top-notch, finest quality, best you can get! Sounds good to me anyhow. :) Damo isn't German, he just thought it was a cool name for a bike. I didn't have this one built to my specs, colour etc... it was hanging on his wall for a long time, waiting for a buyer. I had my eye on it for quite a while, long enough for my SS 29er plans to change from buying a second-hand cheapie, to a low end new bike such as a Haro Mary, to buying a top end frame and building it piece by piece!

·
fan of maple syrup
1,581 Posts
Looking good mate - I bet your itchin' to put it together. And I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the carbon fork too - I remember you mentioning that it's supposed to have a bit of a dampening characteristic?

Looking forward to seeing it all finished. Though I expect the most common view I will have of that frame will be the seat & chain stays, disappearing in the distance ...

·
2,072 Posts
nuclear_powered said:
Looking good mate - I bet your itchin' to put it together. And I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the carbon fork too - I remember you mentioning that it's supposed to have a bit of a dampening characteristic?
The PRO fork is pretty much exactly the same as the White Bros Rock Solid fork and those forks ride a treat so I'd be suprised if this one wasn't a sweet ride.

·
Singletrack minded
1,948 Posts
Nuke, yep, carbon is supposed to absorb trail vibes to a degree. That combined with a carbon bar, big wheels and fat tyres should provide as smooth a ride as you could expect on a rigid bike.

Chumbox, glad to hear good things about the PRO fork, because I didn't know anything about it.

EDIT: Post is by Hud's brother! Why is he logged on to MTBR in my area? :skep:

·
fan of maple syrup
1,581 Posts
Hud said:
Talk about an identity crisis .... the weird part is that after this build is complete, both of your two main bikes will be identical in many ways - both owning a 100mm single pivot bike, and a rigid SS 29er. And you both own the same make & model of car too! So I guess a little online identity mix up is to be expected.

Back to the bike - are Velicity Blunts a wider rim like the Flows on Hud's SIR9? If so will you be running 2.3 - 2.4's to get that smooth ride you're talking about?

·
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How embarassing! I'm now asking myself why I chose "Hud's brother" as a username. The reason is that I didn't think I'd use this forum much and that name would help people know who I am. Might see what I can do about changing it!

Just to set us apart, my Rush is 110mm, Hud's Superlight is 100mm. I set out to buy a single pivot dually because the (single pivot) Superlight was the first dually that I rode that I really liked the feel of.

As for our cars, when you've found a good thing you stick to it. They must be good, there are people in Australia who buy all the Peugeot 504s they can and send them off to Egypt to be used as taxis, where they are highly valued. 3.5 millions 504s were built, from 1968 to 2005, virtually unchanged over that time period.

Back to the bike. :) The rims are 28mm. As for tyres, I'm planning to use a Racing Ralph 2.4 on the front and a RR snakeskin 2.25 on the rear. However if 2.4 snakeskins become available in time I'll have a 2.4 on the rear as well.

·
2,072 Posts
Hud's brother said:
As for our cars, when you've found a good thing you stick to it. They must be good, there are people in Australia who buy all the Peugeot 504s they can and send them off to Egypt to be used as taxis, where they are highly valued. 3.5 millions 504s were built, from 1968 to 2005, virtually unchanged over that time period.
haha... People who say MTBR is uninformative clearly need to hang out more in the Aussie forum... this is the best thing I have read all day and possibly the best reason for purchasing a vehicle type period.

·
fan of maple syrup
1,581 Posts
Yeah those old Pugs are pretty hard wearing aren't they? My late uncle had a 404 (pretty sure it was 404) that had gone round the zero's with only 2 owners. I'm pretty sure he told me it was the original engine, just with a mild reco (mild bore, pistons, rings, bearings, clutch) and it looked pretty good too (not as good as you and Huds though).

Oh and sorry for the 10mm discrepency :)

Will be waiting to see the completed pics once all yer bits arrive.

·
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chumbox, sounds like you get up to the Cog now and then? If so I thought I'd know you, but I don't think I do. I don't recall the GT Peace either :) Do you get out to the Thursday night rides?

Here's a pic of my lovely Pug if anyone's interested.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
What year is that? :eekster: It looks in damn near new condition :thumbsup: Oh and congrats on the bike, I'd definitely steal a couple tyres off your bro and wait for the Snakeskin version of the RRs and try the 2.4's all around first.

Hud's brother said:
Chumbox, sounds like you get up to the Cog now and then? If so I thought I'd know you, but I don't think I do. I don't recall the GT Peace either :) Do you get out to the Thursday night rides?

Here's a pic of my lovely Pug if anyone's interested.

·
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's a 1979, with quite a few extras such as a five speed, power steering, cruise control, CD player and thoroughly upgraded suspension.

Pug fan yourself?

·
Singletrack minded
1,948 Posts
Hud said:
Nuke, yep, carbon is supposed to absorb trail vibes to a degree. That combined with a carbon bar, big wheels and fat tyres should provide as smooth a ride as you could expect on a rigid bike.

Chumbox, glad to hear good things about the PRO fork, because I didn't know anything about it.

This is what happens when I go away for a day. I come home to find I have been posting regardless. Then on another thread I find I have a son who is older than I am. Strange, as today on the Lawyer segment of ABC radio there was some guy who rang up who had found out he had an 18yo son in France and was concerned about the ramifications.
Anyway the internet is a strange place.
Puddleduck also has a 504 and a 29er fetish, a good bloke.
More disturbing: Mitchell my riding buddy has a Superlight, a SS rigid steel 29er, a 26inch steel hardtail converted to 650b... Just like me. But I had them all first:rolleyes: I wonder what would happen if I get a Penny Farthing?
I don't have a desire to put 1.5 inch holes in my earlobes thankfully.

·
fnar fnar brrraaaaap
2,162 Posts
Good to see you boys are enjoying your single speeding. That new bike looks RAD. Not sure about carbon forks though- i had a set of PACE carbon/ ti beauty a year or so back...the best money coould buy..... and I honestly prefer cromo. I find carbon forks a bit "pingy" or "plastic".

Nothing like a single speed on groomed trails though- it honestly makes you wonder why you rode gears on such smooth trails for so long. Have fun!

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Nope, just can appreciate when someone has kept a car well and it still looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor ;) well done :thumbsup: Now my Dad, he would have probably appreciated it big time - he was a serious car guy - sadly I didn't get the whole car buzz thing like my other 3 bros from him, I'm the artsy fartsy one :D LMOA Still learned how to rebuild an engine, pull the diff, change out various parts on the older, rear wheel drive stuff I had - don't own a car now, bike only transP.

Hud's brother said:
It's a 1979, with quite a few extras such as a five speed, power steering, cruise control, CD player and thoroughly upgraded suspension.

Pug fan yourself?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts