Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an old member here go back to like the late 90's when Francis Cebedo started this thing. Infact I bought a Marzocche Z1 from him when he got a Z1 & Z2 from them. Bombed the crap out of it on my GT LTS Carbon. Had some amazing bikes over the years. Wish I still had my GT Xizang. But I now have a Y2K - Seven Sola 26" tire 8 speed. It has battle scars to prove it was used on the trails in Japan, South Korea and Hawaii. Now due to my age, back injury (unrelated to bikes) and other interest has turned ito a street cruiser.. I am finding 26" bikes are hard to find anything for these older bikes. I have 2 sets of spingergy carbon spoked wheels that are ok for now. But has the mountain bike world totaly forgotten these bikes. What is one to do? The bike back in the day cost me about $3500 to put together and that wasfinding deals and putting it together based on my experience of what worked for me. Carbon handlebar, crank, titanium stem, seatpost, now have a different seat the SDG is just shot, XTR driveline, XT brakes.. Any suggestions on where to get 26" / 8speed support?

·
Rippin da fAt
9,052 Posts
I would suggest looking through the online shops for odds n ends. Parts for the fork you have are going to be a challenge since Marz sold out to Fox, iirc.

·
Registered
186 Posts
What portion of the bike do you want to address?
I just finished a couple full rebuilds on two 1998 FsRs. One was around $650 in parts (reuse cranks, bottom bracket, headset). The other around $1250 (reuse wheels but not hubs, replace everything else and add a dropper too). The $1250 spent more on the fiorks, custom headset, etc, and will be selling some takeoff parts to bring the out of pocket down a bit.
They both have full new 1x drivetrain, 203mm 4 pot front disc brakes, 130mm Marzocchi forks. New conti rubber etc I’m finding lots of 26” parts available via local used ads, and prices of 26” specific stuff good as well as available.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What portion of the bike do you want to address?
I just finished a couple full rebuilds on two 1998 FsRs. One was around $650 in parts (reuse cranks, bottom bracket, headset). The other around $1250 (reuse wheels but not hubs, replace everything else and add a dropper too). The $1250 spent more on the fiorks, custom headset, etc, and will be selling some takeoff parts to bring the out of pocket down a bit.
They both have full new 1x drivetrain, 203mm 4 pot front disc brakes, 130mm Marzocchi forks. New conti rubber etc I’m finding lots of 26” parts available via local used ads, and prices of 26” specific stuff good as well as available.
I am just looking for new set of wheel. Selections are slim. Need a time machine to go back about 10 years I guess.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I am just looking for new set of wheel. Selections are slim. Need a time machine to go back about 10 years I guess.
There are plenty of low end 26" wheels around. If you are looking for something nice, you are going to have to build them yourself (or have a shop do it.) Many manufacturers that no longer offer 26" wheels still offer 26" rims. Light Bicycle has 26" carbon rims, and would build you a wheelset.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
40,768 Posts
OP, cool bike. And Francis is still around and can be found in the Northern California forum.

As far as support on anything old school there’s plenty of enthusiasts that hang out in the Vintage forum. Post this in there and you should get some bites.

Go here: Vintage, Retro, Classic

1 - 6 of 6 Posts