Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am loving the adjustability of the new fork, but am getting annoyed with this dang clicking sound. It is not the same noise people complained about with previous u-turn forks in regards to a noise being made when the fork is not set at max/min travel. It ONLY occurs when the fork is rebounding to the top of its travel. I can compress the fork without a sound, but as soon as I get close to full travel the fork makes a click... I can set the rebound to the slowest setting and it will still make a click right before reaching max travel. If I pull up quickly on the fork as if to pop a wheelie it will also click.

Has anyone else experienced this on their 2009 Reba (or any reba for that matter)?

Any solutions?

·
Schipperkes are cool.
4,165 Posts
Didja talk to you local bike shop?
Didja call Rock Shox?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bike shop couldn't figure it out.

I am calling Sram tomorrow, but was hoping to get a little insight from fellow riders. I would love some input/fixes without sending it in for 2 weeks.

·
Slow and steady
503 Posts
Mine is pretty much totally silent, but I only have about 30 miles on it.

Just a guess, but make sure you adjust the UTurn with the poplock turned off. You don't want any extra load on the mechanism when adjusting travel.

You might have gotten a fork with low oil in the motion-control damper

Other ideas that are probably not too likely, but you should check just to rule them out:
* Loose headset
* Loose brake caliper
* Flippy lever on the UTurn knob is clacking at top of travel
* Pop lock lever or cable is rattling

·
Esse quam videri
69 Posts
I have the same issue with mine. It started after I had about 50 miles on it and got progressively more worrisome. It is now back at RS; will keep you updated on the diagnosis.

My suspicion was that perhaps there was not enough oil and thus the top out noise. However, after digging into it, that did not seem to be the problem.

·
Just Wanna Ride!
1,374 Posts
Is the noise on the U-turn model only or are the fixed travel forks doing it too? About to pick up a 120 (non u-turn) and want to be sure I'm not stepping into a pile!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
only my u-turn did it... hopefully problem will be solved with the new air assembly... i just need to have 30 minutes of alone time with the bike... dang holiday season...

·
Registered
131 Posts
I just received my 2009 Reba U-turn and am getting a clicking noise similar to what you have described. Has RS been able to help solve the problem or anyone found a solution?

Thanks

·
29er addict
101 Posts
Mine does the same thing even after being sent back to Sram. I guess it is the nature of the beast. It is annoying as h.ll but it will not effect the performance of the fork.

·
Esse quam videri
69 Posts
After sending mine to RS, I was told that they couldn't find anything wrong with it. RS sent it back to me and I reinstalled it.

I am pleased to find that the mystery noise was somehow "cured." I now have about 120 miles on it, an the clicking has not come back....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Has anyone else had RS help them out solving this noise issue?

I bought my Reba Team earlier in the Winter and finally got the bike finished a week ago... upon riding it there is a bad click/clunk noise, seemingly on rebounding. It made me think my headset was loose at first.

This thread is the only one I've found so far with specifics or mentioning a fix for the problem? Did you guys just work through your LBS or did you go direct to Rock Shox?

Loved the feel of the fork, just amazed and annoyed at the loud clunks/clicks coming from it!

Thanks for any updates on the issue...

Tony.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I am having the same issues and trying to ignore it. I am thinking of bringing it up to PUSH and having them do their magic since I planned to have them work on it in the off season anyway.

Has anyone had a reba tuned by them yet? Any feedback?

I have had all my fox suspension done there and would expect the same if not better results on RS equipment as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Clicking won't stay away long

My fork went on my bike back in February. Within a month I had to have it serviced for the clicking you mention. I igroned the clicking for about a week. Then the clicking was followed by a lowering of the fork travel... I could not even pull the fork even out to its full 120mm. Went to the LBS, they sent the fork to the local authorized repair center, and all was better. Rode for a few months and all of a sudden the clicking started a few weeks ago. The LBS sent it in again. Replacing the seals $60... not under warranty! We will see how long it stays quiet this time!

·
Registered
13 Posts
RockShox knows!

Third service... same result. The clicking is still there. So my LBS calls RockShox instead of the fork guy at Seattle Bike Supply. In about two minutes on the phone... I was standing right next to the shop guy... RockShox said they would send out a new fork. It makes me believe they know that this is a problem. The new fork looks great... the fork crown is white instead of black, and they put an o-ring on the right stanchion to set sag. It is sitting in a box in my garage. Now I just need to find time to put my bike back together for the forth time!

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Lemon

Renin said:
Third service... same result. The clicking is still there. So my LBS calls RockShox instead of the fork guy at Seattle Bike Supply. In about two minutes on the phone... I was standing right next to the shop guy... RockShox said they would send out a new fork. It makes me believe they know that this is a problem. The new fork looks great... the fork crown is white instead of black, and they put an o-ring on the right stanchion to set sag. It is sitting in a box in my garage. Now I just need to find time to put my bike back together for the forth time!
Sounds like you got a lemon.........Good to know RS took care of you:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
just brought my reba in today to get serviced and or replaced by SRAM. My LBS is contacting them to see what we can do about a upgrade or something. Hopefully all works out and I will post what happens

·
Registered
7 Posts
bullonwallst said:
just brought my reba in today to get serviced and or replaced by SRAM. My LBS is contacting them to see what we can do about a upgrade or something. Hopefully all works out and I will post what happens
Bike shop said the shock looked good when they took it apart. They called SRAM/RockShox and they are aware of problems. They are sending out new parts for free. So if your having the problem I would get in touch with the corp.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts