Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Saturday the FedEx man dropped off a package for me and inside was a 2003 Z1 SL I bought used from a fellow rider in the PNW - fork was packed well and came with the little Zoke Air adaptor as well.

The seller was a pleasure to deal with and he gets two thumbs up.

Took a bit to get the air dialed in - but I think I'm pretty close. I took it out for a little spin (actually mostly on the road) last night and it felt good. Definitely light years stiffer than the Psylo it replaces and the ECC feature is nice for climbs. The geometry didn't feel whacked out at all and the front end is easy to get up. I think it's going to work out well on this bike which will serve as my aggressive trail bike.

Now for a few pics.

Drive side:

Full Frontal:

Angled shot from the back:

Non-Drive Side:

I really like this bike. I'm pretty sure I need to take two or three links out of the chain, but other than that it's working great!

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I plan to get her dirty real soon. Possibly as early as tonight and definitely Friday after work!

The next step in the evolution of this bike is to add an AD12 instead of the Fox Float AVA.

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
Looks nice! I'm not too familiar with the Zokes, what is the travel on the fork?

And I guess with Zoke's the forks are a little bit longer than other forks of the same travel?

What did you have before? Does it feel different?

I second the get it dirty and am would love to hear a ride report.

Mr. P

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The fork is a 2003 Z1 Fr - 130mm of travel with ECC - and I can lower the fork down to about 30mm or travel for climbs if need be.

The previous fork on this bike was a RS Psylo SL which had an axle to crown height of 501mm - the Z1 SL has an axle to crown height of 518mm.

The Zoke is heavier than the Psylo - but at the same time it is tremendously more stiff and sturdy than the Psylo. The Psylo would deflect off of big bumps and/or rocks etc. but the Z1 just stays straight and takes the hits.

This is my aggressive trail bike and it may see a few trips to lift assisted riding spots in New England so I think the Z1 will work really well for this bike.

I need to get a better fork pump to get the positive air pressure dialed in right, but I have it pretty close with a Topeak shock pump right now.

All in all the bike feels very balanced front to back in terms of weight.

I plan on having a great deal of fun on this bike.

Hope this information is helpful.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Speedub.Nate said:
Nice color scheme, MMcG!

How are you liking the Fire XC up front, and what air pressure are you running? I could never get that tire to hook up on my Hollowpoint, and I eventually replaced it with something fatter and rounder.

What's the skinny on the AD12?
Nate,

well last night was the first night on the Fire XCs and it was primarily a road ride with some dirt thrown in here and there so the pressure was higher than I'd normally run. These tires get good reviews for New England conditions so we'll see how they go. If they don't hook up well, I have several other options to throw on the bike.

I ordered the spacer kit etc. that I need for the AD12 earlier this week. Doug Beeler at Cane Creek was really helpful and a pleasure to deal with while placing the order.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Speedub.Nate said:
Doug is da man. If you ordered on Monday, they ought to land in your mailbox today or tomorrow. Looking forward to your ride reports.
Yeah that's what I was guessing as well since it is east coast to east coast.

What are you riding while you are building up your MKiii and how's that coming along btw? It must be killing you to not be riding it yet.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
I decided to get some time in on some White Brothers forks this past weekend before making the committment. I demoed three different big-wheeled bikes with their BW 1.0 forks -- which are identical to their XC 1.0 -- and came away pretty stoked. They're super plush, the damping is quality, and it's the lightweight, solid fork I'm looking for.

I'm hanging out on my Buzz Bomb and Hollowpoint while I wait for my rims, hub & post to arrive. It's going to be a couple more weeks, but I've got enough to keep me occupied.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used to have an older WB DH2.0 dual crown fork on my freeride bike and that thing was nice.

I would love to try a WB Trail fork sometime, but they are pricey to say the least.

But they seem to be THE fork to have if you are rollin 29" wheels these days.

Don't see too many of em on 26" wheeled bikes though. Too bad they aren't more common - then maybe I could snag a used one at a value price. ;)

Keep us posted on the build up!

Mark

Speedub.Nate said:
I decided to get some time in on some White Brothers forks this past weekend before making the committment. I demoed three different big-wheeled bikes with their BW 1.0 forks -- which are identical to their XC 1.0 -- and came away pretty stoked. They're super plush, the damping is quality, and it's the lightweight, solid fork I'm looking for.

I'm hanging out on my Buzz Bomb and Hollowpoint while I wait for my rims, hub & post to arrive. It's going to be a couple more weeks, but I've got enough to keep me occupied.

·
mtbjk
285 Posts
nice ride

Mark
the new ride looks great love the combo colors of the new fork with the red fires . look's great also i think you will like the fires front and rear Ive been running about 35 to 40 psi front and rear and they hook up great here in florida with all the differant soil condition from hard pack clay to loose sandy soil they never wash out and they work very well enjoy and again the ride looks great now go ride and get it dirty
Ride On
Jan R

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jan R said:
Mark
the new ride looks great love the combo colors of the new fork with the red fires . look's great also i think you will like the fires front and rear Ive been running about 35 to 40 psi front and rear and they hook up great here in florida with all the differant soil condition from hard pack clay to loose sandy soil they never wash out and they work very well enjoy and again the ride looks great now go ride and get it dirty
Ride On
Jan R
thanks Jan - I'm pretty stoked about this bike - need to shorten the chain ASAP though.

·
Crawlin' like a Crawfish!
178 Posts
Yeah! Go Marz!

That bike looks great!
I didn't know the Z1 came in red. You will love that fork, just keep playing with it for a while and get yourself a pump that reads in at least 2 psi increments. I took a regular fork pump and put a good gauge on it ( unthreaded the stock one, got an adapter up to 1/4 pipe threads and put a glycerin filled 2psi one on it).
Now you don't have to worry about accidentally hitting a rut or root. The zoke will suck it up and come back ready for more!
Congrats! :D

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
zoo00oom said:
That bike looks great!
I didn't know the Z1 came in red. You will love that fork, just keep playing with it for a while and get yourself a pump that reads in at least 2 psi increments. I took a regular fork pump and put a good gauge on it ( unthreaded the stock one, got an adapter up to 1/4 pipe threads and put a glycerin filled 2psi one on it).
Now you don't have to worry about accidentally hitting a rut or root. The zoke will suck it up and come back ready for more!
Congrats! :D
Adjusted the negative air pressure a bit last night (lowered it) and the fork feels even better - can't wait til I get a better pump to really get her dialed in.

The red is pretty cool don't you think?

How and where did you get the good guage for the fork pump? Was it less expensive than buying a specific low pressure pump?

·
Crawlin' like a Crawfish!
178 Posts
pump

Probably about the same gauge to pump. I saw the "official" Marz pump for 25 bucks, pricepoint I think. I think the gauge and adapter was around 12-15 bucks. I'm just a cheapo at heart and I have a supply house that I get stuff from for my business.
I'd probably get the marz if I had to do it again, cause mine's heavy and since the gauge is bigger diameter (2") it's hard to put in my hydropak when doing a dial in ride.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.