Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
I've had a Pliny
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, let's say I crawled under a "bike technology" rock after I bought my 2001 Santa Cruz Superlight. I was stoked: 24 pounds, full suspension. I rode it all over Utah and the Sierra. Seriously beat the bejeebus out of it. It's still going but getting pretty creaky. Plus, everyone smirks when I show up with my V-brakes. I'm past ready for a new rig.

So I start looking at new bikes and they're all significantly heavier than my Superlight. I know there's an advantage plus weight penalty for a better suspension setup and bigger tires, but a 5 pound advantage? That's like carrying a six-pack of IPA around. LBS dude tells me the mechanical advantage outweighs the weight difference. Hmmm.

Granted I haven't ridden anything new - 650B or 29er so I'm still green from that standpoint. I plan on riding some in the next week or two but it'll be around the LBS. Not on singletrack.

When did the bike industry decide weight wasn't such a big consideration any more?

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
There are still plenty of light bikes out there. Certain heavy-duty bikes seem to be more in style. People who ride cross country trails (like maybe what you rode on your superlight) are getting bikes that are capable of much more and weigh more, mostly because of marketing.

Also, dropper posts.

·
Life is strange
1,991 Posts
I think you can get a superlight with disc's for about that weight these days... on the other hand, I like doing dumb stuff on my bikes and gladly ride around a 24lb SS.

·
Custom User Title
7,429 Posts
Why are you buying a complete? Find a frame and build from scratch. With the interwebz, can be cheaper - and you can build something in ~25lb range, and far more capable. My current trailbike, Rotwild, is about 26lb, but did cost me well under $3k, with all the good parts, some reused. With a carbon frame, for an extra 1.5k, would have been close to 24. With XX1 drivetrain and Next SL cranks, almost another pound (extra 500 or so compared to XT and XTR off ebay)

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,356 Posts
You can get a bike with 29er (or 27.5) wheels where the wheels are LIGHTER and STIFFER than the ones on your superlight. You can get frames that again are significantly STIFFER than the superlight (known flexy design due to the elevated shock-mast and seat-stays). You might not really get frames that are significantly lighter, only a bit lighter, but otherwise they will be far better, stiffer as mentioned above, far better suspension than the semi-active nature of the superlight that interferes with pedaling, modern geometry that can be climbed but also won't feel like you are being constantly pitched over on descents, and so on. It is interesting that some things have gotten a little heavier, the days of 2.7ish lb SID forks are gone, because those forks were a joke and downright dangerous, but in other areas strides have been made, like carbon rims and cranks.

IMO, get a Turner Czar, similar amount of suspension travel, but far superior to the superlight in every way. Can be had around the 4.5 or 6K pricepoints. There are plenty of good bikes out there, but like you say, if you are opting for a 6" travel "AM" bike, it's going to weigh a bit more unless you dump significantly more money into it, which is just the nature of the beast. Most people don't need 6" of travel and a 29er Czar with 100mm of travel is going to be far more capable than your superlight, uphill and down.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I'd say ignore everything everyone says until you get yourself out on a demo/rental on single-track you are familiar with, riding is believing and only you know what is and is not worth the $ for your riding.

All specific recommendations are likely just someone else's biased opinion...

Keep an eye out for demo fleets rolling thru town over the summer...

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
More weight=More fun. That's oversimplifying the issue but there is some truth there. The old school paradigm of the 90's was that every bike had to be as light as possible or it was a POS. That's not the philosophy anymore. If you're trying to win XC races, then yes weight is still relevant. If you're not, it isn't. Buy a bike that suits your riding style and the terrain you like and don't worry about a couple pounds.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
What Carl said ^

Also, i wouldn't count out a used bike. More work and hassle obviously but you can get a high end bike 2-3 years old for +/- half the $ of new

·
Wēk Sôs
3,210 Posts
You should probably weigh your bike on an accurate bike scale, to see what your current weight really is. Your numbers are a bit off, just FYI. Ibis Mojo SL-R X01 build is $5600, according to the bike builder on the Ibis web site.

According to this, MTB Buyer's Guide , the bike is 24lbs without pedals. So, they are definitely not 29+lbs. It sounds like you're looking at the bigger AM machines, so I'm not sure why you would compare AM to a XC bike.

Keep in mind that 650b and 29er wheels are heavier than what you have, and also your bike is not very stiff in the frame. Your wheels probably are "soft" too. Newer tech will be stiffer, FWIW. Your tires are small as well. I'd guess you're running 2.0 XC racing tires, max. The trail and AM bikes will be spec'd with larger tires, adding more weight.

According to this, http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Bikes,3/Ibis/Mojo-SL-R,11762 . The XT build is just a bit heavier, though they tweaked a few things.

On another brand, according to Santa Cruz bikes, you could build up a TRc for $6K which will be 26.5lbs without pedals. A bit more at $6.3K and you're under 26lbs.

I agree with Carl, looking at weight as the buying factor is ... meh. The bikes I mentioned are in the trail category and is both stronger and more durable than the bike you have. Clearly it's not needed for you, but it adds to the weight.

Now, again with Santa Cruz, according to their bike builder, if you go for the Tallboy Carbon 29er, for $6K you can be under 24lbs. That bike is in the XC category, just like your Superlight.

I just wanted to point out that broadly sweeping all bikes at $6k as 29+lbs is not realistic. There are others out there, and if you build your own, you can go all out for cheap shopping and weight weenie-dom.

If you really want weight, post in the weight weenie forum, and the guys will help you out there. Browse their builds and see what you can get for 24lbs or less.

·
I just wanna go fast!
1,893 Posts
I dunno what bike you were looking at but I feel like you're doing it wrong. My buddy's 6 inch travel 650b Tracer T275 with meaty 2.4 high rollers on it weighed in at 27 lbs. I feel like you should be able to find XC bikes for under that.

·
I've had a Pliny
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All good feedback. I still race some but I very much dig the Sierra riding also: Downieville and such. I live in Folsom and frequent Auburn a lot more than either racing or Downieville. I know my Superlight is pretty wiggly - sometimes loading it into a corner is like riding a wet noodle. Makes for some exciting riding. AND I bet when I do get on a newer bike I'm going to freak out at how good a ride it is.

I appreciate all the words. Like has been said - I really need to get out and demo some bikes - even if it's around the block.

Was in a lbs the other day and the salesdude was singing the praises of the Trek Fuel suspension. It's a Trek/Specialized/Giant shop (never thought Trek/Specialized existed in the same space anymore). So now I'm eyeing that brand.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Don't confuse 'singing praises of Bike X' with singing for commission/sales :thumbsup:

Edit:

River Rat in Fair Oaks is close to you and they carry Rocky Mountain, Ibis, and Santa Cruz- aka an all star line up. And they've got demos of all or most of them...

Trek and Marin (with potential of others to join still) have committed to a demo day at Deer Creek Hills(near Rancho Murieta) in September fyi.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
It is my second or third bike in the stable now, but I have a 2001 Superlight. I never sold it because that bike still kicks ass!
I switched over to disc brakes a few years back, which was more about "new parts envy", than a need to replace the perfectly capable V brakes.

I also put a 90-130 TALAS on it and I think that was a very good addition to that bike.

I got a $6K Tallboy LT this year, and it weighs about the same as the Superlight.

I don't care what anyone says about stiffness, suspension performance, or old school parts, there is nothing I don't like about riding that bike! It performs like a champ and is very versatile, especially with the TALAS. In 130 mode it is a very capable trail bike, and in 90 mode it is a quick XC bike.

I thought you might want to hear the opinion of someone who has moved on as you are thinking of doing.

Now I can tell you all the great things about my Tallboy LT or my Intense, but the point is that those other bikes are luxuries I am fortunate to have. I certainly didn't need more modern bikes to do what I like to do.

As far as weight goes, I agree with you that it matters. And bikes are heavy these days. And to get them lighter, the price goes way up. A long travel hard tail was something I considered for a while, but I figured my Superlight was kind of like a hardtail, only better!

Now if you want to spend a few grand on a nice new bike, I guarantee, you will like it, but I bet you won't stop liking your Superlight. And if it's creaking, that's easy to fix.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Bought a 29 pound 160mm travel bike last year, my lighter bikes 24 & 27 pounds never see use anymore, probably will sell them, I do just as big of rides, prolly a little slower on the way up but way more fun on the down, and really down is what it's all about ;)

·
Registered
822 Posts
FWIW, I switched from a SC Superlight to a TRC and wouldn't go back. While the TRC is nice and light, I have a fraction of the pedalbob when climbing.

·
Wēk Sôs
3,210 Posts
Pedal bob, life with a single pivot. I have 2 single pivot bikes, they both bob to various degrees. One is a Santa Cruz Nickel, which bobs less than my Diamondback Mission. Bearable, but wishing it weren't there means buying another bike....

·
I've had a Pliny
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Man, good to hear the solid Superlight stories! It is a workhorse of a bike. Flipping the lockout on the rear shock fixes that bob on longer climbs easy-like

I just got back from Prairie City and placed pretty well against a boatload of carbon 29er hardtails and the like.

But, it's time for disc brakes, a little more travel and more active rear suspension. I'll have around a $5K budget. Keeping an eye on craigslist/ebay.

·
Custom User Title
7,429 Posts
I think the only upgrade worth having since then are disk brakes and wide, tubeless rims to properly support wider tires. My older bikes would not fit those, which prompted me to upgrade years back. Otherwise, whatever. Oh, and 29" if on a hardtail. On FS I can't get arsed to care.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,356 Posts
I think the only upgrade worth having since then are:
Disc brakes
Tubeless
Wide carbon bars
Dropper posts
Hollow forged cranks+EBBs that don't have to be thrown away every few months
Forks with ACTUAL high and low speed damping circuits
High volume tires bigger than 2.1 that don't weigh 900g
Carbon rims
Slacker head tubes with longer top tubes
36t cassettes (biggest in 2001 was 32)
Wide variety of well-performing rear shocks (unlike 2001)
Fully active bikes that pedal extremely well

Etc...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts