Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Zero Miles from Myself
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just picked up a nice looking Spider XVP frame for a pretty decent price - $550 - not a steal but not too bad. My First Intense! The Swinger X3 is new and never ridden and the frame looks to be in good condition. The sell claimed the bearings had been recently serviced.

The Finish is Raw Aluminum and I spent the afternoon polishing it with a 6" Rotary and a Dremel polishing tool. Got a half way decent shine on it. Could have been better if I would have taken the swing arm off, but good enough and I'm happy.

Here's my question. The seller listed this as a 2007. But in the '07 catalog I found, the emblem on the head tub is not the same as the one on this bike. The one I have says it is an FRO too (which it was NOT sold as FRO), and from the pics in the catalog, it is not an FRO.

So how can I tell the model year of the frame? I read somewhere that the lower swinger arm block (guessing at the name) was changed between '06 and '07. But are there any distinguishing marks of the '07? Can you tell from the serial number?

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
one thing is for sure: It is an XVP....guessing the head badge is a replacement as the stock ones seem to fall off if not secured properly. Better than a sticker but worse than etched IMO, but i digress :)

It is (at least the rear triangle) a 2003-2005.5...notice the striations on the rear triangle...

·
Dude, got any schwag?
848 Posts
OK, if it's a 5.5 FRO, it'll have a head tube for internal HS, and shock eye to eye will be 7.5" with 2" stroke.

If it's a Spider, std head tube & 6.5" x 1.5".

I am now changinng my opinion to Spider due to the model year. I think '07 was the 5.5 FRO's first year. (IIRC)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Spider! It has a short shock. Frame code C*** is a Spider (I think), D is 5.5, dunno about 5.5 FRO.
It could be still an 07 model if it is a late 06 production run. The next numbers of the frame number indicate the month it was build. ;-)

·
Registered
205 Posts
2006 Spider 2007 Spider

Keep in mind that we have not always waited for the end of a model year to implement improvements to a current product. This being said....the only differences between the 2006 in the photos and a 2007 model....is the second number in the serial number. Yes, these two bikes are for all intent and purpose the same model. :thumbsup:

Chad

mrm1 said:
FWIW ... I just got an email back from Intense Cycles on the Model Year:

·
Registered
119 Posts
IntensevCare said:
Keep in mind that we have not always waited for the end of a model year to implement improvements to a current product. This being said....the only differences between the 2006 in the photos and a 2007 model....is the second number in the serial number. Yes, these two bikes are for all intent and purpose the same model. :thumbsup:

Chad
Chad,

At what point did the rear triangle change from having the horizontal channels cut into the seatstays to not? Wasnt that a mid-year change during 2006? If so, wouldnt the 2007's be different than the 2006 pictured (just the rear triangle)?

·
Zero Miles from Myself
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK so "finished" up the Spider tonight. Polished the frame to a nice finish with a rotary and then used a light sanding block to create a Brushed Alu finish. Finished it with a coat of acrylic. Came out very nice. Then ordered a decal and head badge set from SaddleTime Sports. This pretty much made this 2006 Spider look like new.

Got it all build up except the final tune and suspension adjustments. Hoping to do a "dial-in" ride on Monday.

Thanks again every one for the schooling. I think I will really enjoy this bike !

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi. Great looking build. Very nice finish. Can I just ask you a question as I've just bought one of these frames, what size and type front deraillier did you use/does this frame use.

Cheers

Michael

·
Zero Miles from Myself
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mavic CrossTrails and Rocket Rons

Got some new wheels for this ride today. Hoping to get out this afternoon and do a maiden on the 2.1 RoRos and Mavic CrossTrails.

Over all, It looks pretty sweet. Weight Savings was 1.4 lbs. Going Tubeless tonight if I can find some stans locally at a good price.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.