Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since there has been a couple of threads of new builds and someone asking to post their weight weenie build. I'd like to contribute my.

I first dreamed about building a Full Suspension bike about early 2007. The searched went on to find a low travel full suspension bike perfect for XC racing in Ontario, Canada. I thought about a Specialized Epic, then I thought about a Tuner Nitrous, BMC FS01, Litespeed Sewanee...

Then I saw Axis II's build and thought damn that is a nice bike.

I picked the frame August of 2007. Last 17" frame left in Canada.

Since August of 2007 I had been collecting parts. First was Avid Ultimate (brand new) off of ebay for $280 for the pair (160mm front, 140mm rear). Then I picked up some Crank Brothers 4Ti for about $180ish. I got them both from https://stores.ebay.com/Geargurl-Cycles-International_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

Then a lot of the parts came from https://www.starbike.com/
The new shifters, new xtr rear derailleur, Tune headset and a whole bunch of road parts for my Cervelo

Next step was to decide on some wheels. In the back of my mind I always wanted blue chris king ISO disc hubs with some cool rims. Chris King... mmmMMMmmm really how could you beat Chris King... Answer is Tune. Ron Ruff over at https://whitemountainwheels.com/ had built me a road wheel set with Reynolds carbon rims, some tune hubs and some CX-Ray spokes. They were awesome.

So I placed my order for these... Blue Tune Hubs were a 8 month wait. I waited. I wouldn't budge on the color.

Absolutely amazing wheels!

Next step is to get rid of all the steel bolts and go with either Ti or Aluminum bolts. I ordered everything from Tom at https://www.torontocycles.com/ I love his store. I also ordered some Ahima ARO-08 rotors (160mm and 140mm)

Before Bolt tuning (OEM from Kona)

With Ti Bolts at all pivot locations, Aluminum washers, and a Ti nut to secure the bottom rear shock eyelet.

I then found out Axis II's 18" was lighter than my 17" frame. Ouch that hurt. So I went and machined my seat clamp with a 1/4" end mill and put a Ti bolt on. I saved about 10 grams here.

One of the final purchase was a Manitou R7 MRD Disc only in black. Not available...
So I tried to buy a red one... not available.
Then I tried to buy a Blue SID... only avaiable in world cup model. Not out for sale yet...
Then I bought a Magura Durin disc only. Got shipped a Canti/Disc version. I didn't want it.

I returned it because it wasn't the 1450g claimed and it was not Disc only. Then I found out that I couldn't get a disc only MD80R since Magura never imported that configuration into North America. Universal refunded my money.

I then tried to get a 2008 Fox F80RLC from my LBS. They placed my order to Outdoor Gears Canada. 1 week later they informed my LBS that there were no 2008s left. 2009s were another 3 weeks away to OGC (FOX Canada distrbutor). Of course you can't ship Fox products across boarders... I ordered a 2009 Fox F80RLC from Universal and shipped it to a package handling place in Niagara Falls, NY. drove from Toronto to Niagara Falls to smuggle a Fork past Canada Boarder/Customs as a 40 dollar used Ebay bicycle fork along with some Titec Pork Rinds and a whole bunch of park tools for assembling the bike.

What an ordeal... But the F80RLC is under the claimed weight of 1620g...

Saddle and dura-ace 12-27 cassette came from https://probikekit.com/

Alligator i-Links came from Hong Kong Ebay! https://stores.ebay.com/HOT-BIKE-HOBBY_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZQ2d33QQftidZ2QQtZkm

All of my remaining parts came from Giovanni over at https://sales.light-bikes.com/
KCNC Ti Pro Lite, KCNC blue skewers, KCNC SC Bone 25.4mm, Syntace F99, Schwalbe Furious Fred 2.0, Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.1, KMC10-SL chain...

A picture before the first ever ride on the bike. Note: No scratches!

Then I raced it through mud in a 24 hour relay race at night and had a crash or two... 2.1" Racing Ralphs are not good for mud. Good thing I didn't have the Furious Fred 2.0s on... some of the sections were hike a bike only. even walking was almost impossible. I'll get a picture of the bike muddy later.

Here it is after I washed her.

Build List:

Some thoughts:
1.) I really hate the Titec Pork Rinds. I know YMMV but damn... they throttle so bad. I installed them with the old hair spray trick but no luck. Next step is to get some spray on adhesive I think... Else I'm going to go try some ESI silicone grips. Or bite the bullet and go heavy and go with my fav, which are the Ergon grips.

2.) 610 mm for a bar is really wide. The KCNC SC Bone needs to be chopped down...

3.) I might need a setback seat post for this frame.

4.) I love the Furious Fred 2.0s... they are awesome.

5.) All the vendors that I bought parts from are excellent!

·
for three!
208 Posts
Probably the sweetest post i've read in a long time. That bike is gorgeous, and at 19.7 pounds! :thumbsup: If you ever feel your bike is too light, rides too well, and looks too good, i'll shorely take it off your hands for you.

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
That is a nice build, I like the Kona ball burnished finish, I have a Kona A frame with that look.

Details count, like the colour scheme. :thumbsup: But that IMBA decal is likely costing you 5-6gms. :D

·
Maromero
1,605 Posts
What a post!!
One of the best I've seen, the fact that your weightlist is the same as the real weight on the scale is amazing.
Congrats on a great bike and post, thanks for sharing.

·
rad to the power of sick
1,969 Posts
Nice!

I was at the same race, i dont think any tire would have adhered to that mud! I also changed my furious freds right before the race.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wow...superb. It seems like a weenie bike that you can actually ride/race on. Beautiful.

PS
I too hate pork rinds, but each to their own....

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thats a fantastic build ...

hope it feels as fast as it looks and good luck on the race circuit.

Pity about the Durin fork, I've just mounted mine and had first ride on it, I'll post details on the Durin thread soon.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Very nice bike -- always liked these hei heis. Were you concerned about investing so much into a bike before knowing you'd like the way it rode? Or had you ridden a hei hei before? Also, is it bad form for me to ask a total cost?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Awsome!! I have 22.5lb. Kona King.It was 21lb even but morphed to 22.5lb real world race bike. I have Ti bolts in all suspension mounts, 2.3 Conti Vertical tires. Your weights didnt include grease. Flyweight tubes are for weighing only.Whats up with the full housing rear derailuer (looks kinda goofy).Why not stans no tube. What is weight in race trim with real tubes and tires

·
Registered
375 Posts
Excellent effort and a beautiful finish product. Very well thought out and executed! Hope it rides as good as it looks. Loved all the info you included in this post.

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sevencycle said:
Awsome!! I have 22.5lb. Kona King.It was 21lb even but morphed to 22.5lb real world race bike. I have Ti bolts in all suspension mounts, 2.3 Conti Vertical tires. Your weights didnt include grease. Flyweight tubes are for weighing only.Whats up with the full housing rear derailuer (looks kinda goofy).Why not stans no tube. What is weight in race trim with real tubes and tires
19.7 lbs. I raced it using Furious Freds and flyweight tubes for a couple of laps already. It did fine, no flats. 19.7 lbs is what you see. The racing ralph 2.1 makes the bike over 19.7 lbs but that is what I used in the last laps of a race and I haven't switched them out.

The weight Includes:
zip ties
grease
air in tires
air in fork
air in the rear shock
bottle cage
stickers
loctite where needed
and if you are really being picky. I forgot to subtract the drain hole I drilled using a 7/16" drill bit at the bottom bracket.

the only thing not included in the weight is the garmin edge 705 and its accessories. I run tubes because I have only one set of nice wheels. That way I can carry 3 or 4 sets of tires, go scope out the race circuit, come back and make a decision on what tire I want to run. I don't want to mess around with goo or sealant in the parking lot 30 mins before a race start because I chose to run a furious fred tire or a racing ralph tire.

The rear derailleur housing is not run full length. I wish I could. I could only run the liner full length. It adds a bit of weight but I like the fact that there is only 1 entrance point now for dirt, that at where the cable exits to go to the rear derailleur.

verified weight = spreadsheet weight.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I was a bit nervous at first when I started assembling the bike. In the back of my head was: I hope this thing rides well. I bought the frame sight unseen and never test ridden. I just went with the Kona Geometry numbers and compared it to my 2005 Stumpjumper Hardtail. Total cost I think I'm about $4200 ish +/- maybe $200? MSRP on a full Kona Hei Hei Supreme build from Kona is like $6999 CDN... ouch.

superlightracer: I had some old school Panaracer FireXC Pro 1.8" in the trunk of my car. I should have ran those. Also what is the scoop on Alumni wanting to run the University Cup races this fall?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Beautiful Bike

I agree with everyone here...that is one nice bike.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 105 Posts