Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well - i'm back from my mexican holidays (great sun,beach and sea...) and finally got that SID Carbon i bought off Ebay before christmas. since i only was interested in the carbon steerer assembly i wasn't too shocked when i unpacked the fork: all dirty,blown seals with oil all over the inside of the package etc...a dead horse!

anyway - i already disassembled the fork and weighed the carbon steerer assembly against a 01 SID Race assembly and was quite pleased to see that it was over 40g lighter at even longer steerer lenght!

so once finished my "01 SID Race Project"- fork with 01 internals and modified lowers will weigh exactly 1100g as right now it sits at 1140g with still the standard steerer and crown in place.by tomorrow evening i'll have everything assembled and post pictures.

01 steerer/crown assembly (185mm steerer lenght): 540g
02 Carbon steerer/crown assembly (200mm steerer lenght): 498g

·
Registered
484 Posts
nice~!

Great to see you back, Nino. Can't wait to see pictures of the fork.

I wonder if there's a way to strip the paint off the lowers and protect the magnesium from corrosion similar to anodizing aluminum. At the same time, you could remove the I.S. disc brake mounts.

- Jeremy -

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
He already removed the mounts I believe. That is amazing. A sid at 1100g! You could get it under probably if you cut that tube a bit! I'm curious how much that fork flexes? How much do you weigh? Cant wait for pics!

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
some detailed weights...

correct - my lowers are already bare any disc-adapters.I weigh 150 lbs and stiffness (or the lack of it) has never been a problem for me.

i already stripped both forks completely ,started cleaning them and weighed the parts.i also took pictures along the way but wait for them until i have everything finished...

meanwhile here's some weights:
01 SID Race steerer/crown 165mm lenght: 531g
02 SID Race Carbon steerer/crown 200mm lenght: 496g (cutting the carbon steerer 35mm should save another 10g...486g. that's 45g lighter than the SID 01 steerer/crown)

01 SID Race damping internals: 205g (202g with lower Al-bolt)
02 SID Race Carbon internals: 358g (the compression shaft alone weighs about 270g!)

i still have to clean some parts so by tomorrow i'll post the finished fork along with detailed pics. i calculated it should weigh just a hair below (!) 1100g...we will see.
right now it's 1:30 a.m. over here - the jet lag hurts badly as the whole family is awake and can't get to sleep.even my 3 year old son is playing around.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it will weigh just 1077g !!...

i just went on working on my project-fork and was surprised to see my already shaved lowers of my 01 SID Race weighed over 6g more than the standard lowers of that 02 SID Carbon i bought on Ebay.mine have that nice deep blue colour which seems to weigh quite a bit more than the simple white legs off that Specialized-version SID Carbon.

you bet i already cleaned those white legs,shaved the disc-adapters completely(!) away this time, sandblasted them and now they need just a layer of new colour to protect the magnesium.when weighed against my previous blue legs these weigh now 22g less.add a few grams for colour (ca. 10g) and i still have lowers that are 12g lighter than my previous ones.

i already put all the needed parts on my scale and it reads 1077g!
add 10g for the colour on the lowers
subtract 10g of 35mm carbon steerer
so it should weigh a REAL 1077g when put together.ok,some redrum and grease...we will see.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have some photoshop problems...

i would have posted some pics already but i have some photoshop problems.

anyway - the lowers get painted right now but i'll have to wait until monday to get them back:(
i could have panted them on my own but wanted them look nice so i have them painted by a friend of mine who is a car-painter.

so i will post all details with pictures and weights next week.the fork will look as a standard SID carbon with black lowers bare any disc-adapters.nothing spectacular but the weight sure is:))

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
some pics....

ok - i finally solved those problems.here's some first pics:

that's how i started: on the far side you can see the 02 SID BLACKBOX i got from Thomas Frischknecht.in the middle you have the carbon crown and internals of that 02 SID Carboin i bought off Ebay and in fron is my current 01 SID Race which i would tear down later...and i still have another 01 SID race and a 02 SID SL in my garage...yes- you can call me crazy;)

here's the 2 different internals:
above are the 02 internals with lockout, below you see the 01 Internals

and here's the 02 internals weight: 358g (these are the same internals used in all SID SL/Carbons of 02/03)

and here are the 01 SID Race internals which will be used: 202g (205g with standard lower steel bolt)

and here's the Carbon steerer/crown assembly (200mm steerer):

and here's my 01 SID Race steerer/crown assembly (165mm steerer):

and finally the shaved lower legs (bushings still installed, no seals though).note the completely shaved disc-adapter.these lowers get now a black paintjob which should not weigh more than 10g.a standard deep blue set of lowers weighs 22g more.

more pics hopefully by monday when i get the lowers back...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Great job Nino

This is really nice again.

I was wondering... what are you planning to do with the headset adjusting cap ? Considering you're switching from an alloy to a carbon steerer, you can't go with a standard SF nut, so are you going to put a lighter system or heavier ?

Anyway, nice work again.

Jean-Sébastien

·
Velodramatic
533 Posts
nice job Nino, really!

that SID must have cost a fortune, probably more than my whole bike ;). am i right: no lockout? my 99 SID SL i bought on ebay for 140 € ist still doing great, i tuned it for some more travel, but 67 mm (previously 60 mm) on a full suspension bike is still not that much :( weight is around 1230 g, i will weigh it soon on my new digi-scale.

if you want to save some more weight, i can send you my SID XC 2000 needle valves for the positive chamber for free.
compared to the schrader valves on my 2001 SID XC (13g each), the needle valves weigh only 10 g. since my 00 SID is totally wrecked i dont need them anymore....

·
Velodramatic
533 Posts
oh, seems like jean-seb and i posted simultanelously! however, here's my solution to get rid of that nasty starnuts:

get an endlessly-threaded bolt, which has to be longer than the steerer tube. on the lower side, use a shim/round plate with a hole in the middle, approx. 4 mm thick and tighten it with a hexagonal nut. now install the headset plate on the upper side and tighten it as well. violá, headset fixed!

i've also read about some device (made by syntace or so) that you install between the headset and the stem. tighten the stem first, then tighten this devise. as you do so, its height increases, and so you can adjust your headset.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
thanks for the offer...

but once again i prefer function over 3g weight savings.the needle valves were a pain - no thanks.

cost isn't soo high either:
i paid 300$ for my brandnew 01 SID Race back in 2002 on sale.
and i got that used 02 SID carbon for 330$ shipped on Ebay.
so a total of 630$ isn't that much considering that i can put together a second "regular" 02 SID Race and sell it again.

by the way.anyone looking for a 02 SID race? I would sell cheap...it should weigh ca. 1320g.165mm steerer or 185mm steerer (from Frischknechts Blackbox!)

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
expander plugs...

correct - you have to use expander plugs on carbon steerers.
I already have a Extralite expander plug which weighs just 8g and the one that came with that used fork also weighs just 9g.

a regular starfangled nut weighs also 10g...so no weight is added, instead, i loose another 1-2g:)

Extralite expander plug:

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Back in the days, friends of mine made a really light SID by simply going to Englund Total Air cartridges.

My '00 Judy race, with '96 steerer, crown and uppers, Englund air, ti brake bosses, weighs 1298g including disc brake mount and pretty stiff lowers. It's served me well over the years, now I don't use it anymore, I switched to 29" since.

Moral of the story, weight was saved by going from SID internals to Englund.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Englunds save NO weight....

Englunds save weight when you have a SL or Race of later ages (02 + ).but they don't save a gram compared to my 01 internals and they are definitely not as durable too.i was also considering them but going throught he reviews and finally also the cost (ca. 90-100$) made me think otherwise.there was that "Englund-SID carbon" posted in the old forum but it still weighed 1140g if i remember right.I contacted the seller back then and they said they would do such forks upon request but at a price of ca. 625$...

·
Registered
858 Posts

Nice job Nino, Looking good :)

I am working on a "simular" project, well kinda :D Trying to get my "03" Duke race's a light as possable, but still functional for my riding style etc... Dual Air is next, any alturnitives?. Mine is a very much a pointless project though, Just trying to make them more tunable than anything...

Anyways, I look foward to seeing the finished project :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.