Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Upgrade Addict
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today was my first ride on my newly converted to single speed (first mtn bike) 1993 Trek 930. I went out to Big Creek (close in trail that is short and easy but fun) at lunch today to see what all the SS hype was about. For reference, my normal ride is a Turner Burner FS with 4" of travel. Here are some "takeaways" from my ride.

1) Singlespeeding is hard work. 40 minutes and 5 laps on the beginner loop felt like 1.5 hours on the Turner. If I keep this up (which I will) I will be in MUCH better shape and climb MUCH better.
2) Big Creek DOES have elevation change. Just didn't notice it on the Turner.
3) Momemtum is your friend when SS'ing. I was thinking that my 13 year old Tektro brakes were terrible when I realized that I need to stop using them.
4) I don't stand very often on the Turner. I found myself out of the saddle 50% of the time on the SS. Legs burning still.
5) Picking a good line matters. Didn't seem to on the Turner.
6) Not thinking about what gear to shift into for the approaching down/uphill is kind of liberating. (albeit painful)
7) Even 13 year old 8 speed chains are strong. Wow did I ever butcher that chain last night while finding the right size for my new lack of gears. Worked flawlessly today.
8) Wait... today wasn't my first SS ride. I spent the first 14 years of my life on one!
9) I am going to be a better rider from fooling around with this bike.
10) Why did I ever go from this steel hardtail to an aluminum hardtail years ago? This bike accelarates like crazy and has a great feel.

All in all I had a blast. What a workout, too. The SS is perfect for the sneakaway lunchtime ride for maximizing your fitness/saddle time ratio.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
johnmre said:
1) Singlespeeding is hard work. 40 minutes and 5 laps on the beginner loop felt like 1.5 hours on the Turner. If I keep this up (which I will) I will be in MUCH better shape and climb MUCH better.

yes.

2) Big Creek DOES have elevation change. Just didn't notice it on the Turner.

ok.

3) Momemtum is your friend when SS'ing. I was thinking that my 13 year old Tektro brakes were terrible when I realized that I need to stop using them.

yes.

4) I don't stand very often on the Turner. I found myself out of the saddle 50% of the time on the SS. Legs burning still.

ok.

5) Picking a good line matters. Didn't seem to on the Turner.

correct.

6) Not thinking about what gear to shift into for the approaching down/uphill is kind of liberating. (albeit painful)

yes.

7) Even 13 year old 8 speed chains are strong. Wow did I ever butcher that chain last night while finding the right size for my new lack of gears. Worked flawlessly today.

good.

8) Wait... today wasn't my first SS ride. I spent the first 14 years of my life on one!

right.

9) I am going to be a better rider from fooling around with this bike.

definitely.

10) Why did I ever go from this steel hardtail to an aluminum hardtail years ago? This bike accelarates like crazy and has a great feel.

I dunno.

All in all I had a blast. What a workout, too. The SS is perfect for the sneakaway lunchtime ride for maximizing your fitness/saddle time ratio.

agreed.

:)

R.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.