Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked it up today, my first 29er. Bike is an 18" and has a 23.5" TT with a 105mm stem which is perfect for what I like. I am still waiting for Conti Mountain Kings to come in so I have some tires on there from the shop until they come in. I threw on an XT crank since I like them better than the SLX but kept the brakes and they seem fine. I will also be getting some XT pedals and putting these 540's on my wife's road bike. I did weigh the bike with pedals and it measured up at 26.2 lbs. I would like to do a couple XC races this coming season so I thought this would be a fine choice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How tall are you?

Picked it up today, my first 29er. Bike is an 18" and has a 23.5" TT with a 105mm stem which is perfect for what I like.

Congrats on the bike. I'm considering a Kona 29er myself and wondering about the size.
How tall are you? Inseam?

Also, I'm considering the Big Kahuna (AL frame, Tora Race fork), since the King would be stretching my budget a bit. Any thoughts on the Big Kahuna specs anyone?

Since 29ers aren't really available in Denmark, I'll most likely be ordering and would appreciate all comments (except "go try it for yourself at your LBS" ;-)).

I've tried an 18'' Kula which was a bit too short, and I would like more heel clearance for my sz. 13 feet (but I'm guessing the absence of sliding dropouts on the Kahunas will have narrowed the chainstays a bit). I'm 6'1-6'2 with a 35-35,5 inch inseam.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
How tall are you?

Tinshield said:
Picked it up today, my first 29er. Bike is an 18" and has a 23.5" TT with a 105mm stem which is perfect for what I like.

Congrats on the bike. I'm considering a Kona 29er myself and wondering about the size.

Also, I'm considering the Big Kahuna (AL frame, Tora Race fork), since the King would be stretching my budget a bit. Any thoughts on the Big Kahuna specs anyone?

Since 29ers aren't really available in Denmark, I'll most likely be ordering and would appreciate all comments (except "go try it for yourself at your LBS" ;-)).

I've tried an 18'' Kula which was a bit too short, and I would like more heel clearance for my sz. 13 feet (but I'm guessing the absence of sliding dropouts on the Kahunas will have narrowed the chainstays a bit). I'm 6'1-6'2 with a 35-35,5 inch inseam.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
What were you riding before the Kahuna? I'm interested in what people say who previously enjoyed 4 inch FS 26inch bikes but who have made the jump to a 29er hardtail.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Well my King arrived last week and its very nice, my 19" weighed in at 25.9Lbs after yanking off the reflectors and the spoke guard. If you are wondering if the bigger wheels make the ride similar to a full suspension 26" bike: no it doesn't, it's still a hardtail it just rolls better than it's 26" brethren. I have been using a 5" travel trail bike (2007 Stumpjumper FSR) for my main ride for the last two seasons and the ride characteristics of the King are quite different.

It accelerates fairly quickly, not quite as fast as the old 26" hardtail with an ultralight wheelset that it's replacing but close enough for me not to gripe about it. On flat or open sections of road/pathway (it's winter in Canada so I ride where I can) it feels like I can accelerate forever unlike my 26" that seems to top-out quicker. I'm geussing this has something to do with gear-inches.

Over all I'm really happy with it, just need some dirt and trails to ride on for a real review. As for measurements; the 19" has a 24" top tube, a 110mm stem, 12.5" BB height and fits me (6'1"/183cm) just fine.

Here are some pics:

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Mortimer said:

Thanks!
I am 5'10" and my actual inseam is right around 33.5. You should get at least a 19, probably a 20. What are you riding now?

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
New Review:

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/c...ahuna-2-9er-09-32956?CPN=RSS&SOURCE=BRMTBGEAR

Since getting mine I noticed the rear cassette was an 11-32, not the 11-34 originally speced in the catalog. So I grabbed an XT, along with some XT pedals, some ODI Yeti lock on grips and should have my Conti Mountain Kings soon.

Photograph, congrats on the new ride. How do you think the weight stacks up to the competition? I was hoping it would be a little lighter. Looking at it I can't really see any glaring culprits so I chalked it up to it being a 29er. I haven't taken mine out yet.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
GrantB said:
What were you riding before the Kahuna? I'm interested in what people say who previously enjoyed 4 inch FS 26inch bikes but who have made the jump to a 29er hardtail.
Not sure who this was directed at............but, I have an 08 Yeti 575 also. I am not giving that bike up and was looking to expand the stable with the Kona. Time will tell how much I ride the HT.

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
Tinshield said:
New Review:

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/c...ahuna-2-9er-09-32956?CPN=RSS&SOURCE=BRMTBGEAR

Since getting mine I noticed the rear cassette was an 11-32, not the 11-34 originally speced in the catalog. So I grabbed an XT, along with some XT pedals, some ODI Yeti lock on grips and should have my Conti Mountain Kings soon.

Photograph, congrats on the new ride. How do you think the weight stacks up to the competition? I was hoping it would be a little lighter. Looking at it I can't really see any glaring culprits so I chalked it up to it being a 29er. I haven't taken mine out yet.
looking good Tinshield, looking forward to hooking up for some HP rip fests 29er style this season..........I agree with on the Kona headbadge thing....CF.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the answers.
I've taken up mountainbiking again after a 10 year break and I'm on my old and very rigid 1993 Marin Rocky Ridge. Riding it feels like getting beaten up, and it's hard to compare its non-suspension geometry to to modern day mountainbikes, but I do kinda love it. And I read somewhere that purple anodized components were making a comeback...

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mortimer said:
Thanks for the answers.
I've taken up mountainbiking again after a 10 year break and I'm on my old and very rigid 1993 Marin Rocky Ridge. Riding it feels like getting beaten up, and it's hard to compare its non-suspension geometry to to modern day mountainbikes, but I do kinda love it. And I read somewhere that purple anodized components were making a comeback...
Not sure about that one.:nono:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Tinshield said:
New Review:
Thanks. The weight of the bike is actually pretty good, especially when the cost of the bike is factored in. One of my teammates picked up a Cannondale 29'er 1, with lots of trick parts including a Carbon Lefty and it weighs in exactly one pound lighter than the Kona. Keep in mind that the Cannondale also costs around $1000 (CAD) more,so far in the past week I have already shaved off almost a pound by swapping out the seat, stem and pedals for parts from my old race bike. I'm pretty sure I can get it down to a very reasonable 24Lbs by the start of race season without breaking the bank. Next components being targeting for weight reduction are the rear cassette, seatpost, handlebar, and I have an XTR RD on the shelf left over from a previous machine that I could use. None of the Kona parts are going to waste though, I have a very nice custom Misfit singlespeed frame ordered for them.

Now All I need to do is convince my better half that a set of Industry Nine or King wheels are a good investment :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.