KMC SL chain
Misc. Ti/Aluminum bolts
So far 21 lbs

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nice choices!

The DA 12-27 works very well with the triple crankset and I recommend the KMC X10 SL chain as well, very light and shifts great. The bike is very light, so you will climb faster but as easily with an 11-32.

The Monkey Lite SL seems to be made for the bike, naked carbon and the same colours of the frameset… perfect combination.

Can you tell me what do think about the saddle position with an inline seatpost? The spesch seatpost is a bit laydback in the clamp area, but I ordered a straight one. Did it change too much your riding position? Do you feel that you became too forward on the bike?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Count said:
great build, the spec seems more like a bike for races, is this the intended use ?
um, the S-Works Epic is built for one purpose: racing. I would bet that he intends to enter some races with it.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
the wife's bike is 20.5 lbs with 480g tires front and rear... the bike is as light as it is going to get. from here the big ups and downs are from tires. weight can fluctuate by more than a half a pound depending on which tires are on it.

great build btw!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The original set back seatpost and original stem, which I think was a 90mm on my bike, set me too far back. The front end would lift up during steep hill climb attacks while seated.
I switched to the staight seatpost and put a, I think, 105mm length stem with a 6 degree rise and flipped it upside down. This put me in a perfect position for climbing. I also descend with out too much weight being forward. It was a perfect balance for me.

rlemos73 said:
The DA 12-27 works very well with the triple crankset and I recommend the KMC X10 SL chain as well, very light and shifts great. The bike is very light, so you will climb faster but as easily with an 11-32.

The Monkey Lite SL seems to be made for the bike, naked carbon and the same colours of the frameset… perfect combination.

Can you tell me what do think about the saddle position with an inline seatpost? The spesch seatpost is a bit laydback in the clamp area, but I ordered a straight one. Did it change too much your riding position? Do you feel that you became too forward on the bike?

Thanks,

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do intend to do a few races with this bike. I use my 09 Stumpy S-works to do most of my training and use my Enduro to do most of my fun rides..As you can tell I love Specialized.

Count said:
great build, the spec seems more like a bike for races, is this the intended use ?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update:

I have done a few upgrades to my bike and have the weight down to 19.82 lbs. I installed a 12-27 Dura Ace cassette, Sram Red rear Derailler, Easton Monkey Lite SL handlebar, S-Works Captain 2.0 front tire, and S-Works 2x9 chainrings. I took 3 links out of the chain and just about every bolt has been replaced with Ti or Aluminum. I also had some top secret work done on my fork and cranks to lighten it up.

Pics will soon follow.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
SWEETNESS! 19.8 is really light! I put the DA cassette on the wife's bike and she really likes it. You must have a sweet hookup, I tried to get the 2x9 spider/rings and was told that they aren't available yet.

The wife's bike should be right around 20lbs on race days from here out depending on a few course specific selections.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
JOE2465 said:
I have done a few upgrades to my bike and have the weight down to 19.82 lbs. I installed a 12-27 Dura Ace cassette, Sram Red rear Derailler, Easton Monkey Lite SL handlebar, S-Works Captain 2.0 front tire, and S-Works 2x9 chainrings. I took 3 links out of the chain and just about every bolt has been replaced with Ti or Aluminum. I also had some top secret work done on my fork and cranks to lighten it up.

Pics will soon follow.

are you doing your weights without the pedals? i added some stuff up to see what your fork/crank mods came to... seems that the mods are surely worth it if that weight is WITH pedals!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
weight is with pedals and no bottle cage.

whybotherme said:
are you doing your weights without the pedals? i added some stuff up to see what your fork/crank mods came to... seems that the mods are surely worth it if that weight is WITH pedals!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was able to get my hands on a 2x9 crank set from a connection. Specialized froze all 2x9 systems due to a glitch in manufacturing. The problem is fixed and 2x9 parts should be available soon.

I'm now playing with the idea of having a front derailleur mount rivited into the frame, just like road bikes, so I can run a Dura Ace front derailleur. I obviously know that this will void my warranty, but I'm waiting to hear back from a Specialized tech to see if it will ruin the integrity/strength of the frame. I've heard both yes and no, but I want to be sure.

whybotherme said:
SWEETNESS! 19.8 is really light! I put the DA cassette on the wife's bike and she really likes it. You must have a sweet hookup, I tried to get the 2x9 spider/rings and was told that they aren't available yet.

The wife's bike should be right around 20lbs on race days from here out depending on a few course specific selections.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I am going a different route... I plan on doing some machining on the FD. The bracketry is pretty beefy and could really use some weight reduction. I personally wouldn't dream of riveting an FD mount on the ST (but then again I don't have connections like you and probably pay way more for my stuff).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I thought about upgrading the wheels to the DT carbon set, but the weight difference was minimal and the price, even at a good deal, was out of the question.

I've put quite a few miles on my Roval Contole Sl's and haven't had to true them once. I've been riding in a lot of different terrains and these wheels are bombproof so far.

I think they weigh around 1380 grams,which is pretty darn light. I haven't done any upgrades to the hubs yet, but I am waiting for a good ceramic bearing to come around.

acunha said:
What about those Wheels ? Do they worth an upgrade ? How much do they weight ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts