Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my new medium chameleon.
In the first week I had it, I took it on two long trail rides, one of which included a DH race course as part of the loop. I rode it twice at a slalom track, and hit my dirt jumps on it as well. Its living up to its name.:thumbsup:
Anyway, I know some of the old Chameleon owners was worried about the geometry changes, but from my measurements, its REALLY close to the old frame.
And with the EBB, you can play with your BB height and chainstay length as well.
I just changed mine after I took the pics, I wanted the lowest bb and shortest chainstay
length. With my fork set at 100mm, my bb is 12.3, my chainstays are 16.3, my head angle is right around 69, and the wheelbase is something like 42.3 or so.
Almost identical to my buddies old chameleon.
The only ***** about the frame is putting on a chainguide, and boy is it a *****.
First off, their is a ridge that sticks out on the EBB that interferes with how far back you can rotate your guide. I filed half of that ridge off to get it rotated properly.
But the other problem is the bigger pain. The ISCG adaptor will not sit flush with the frame. The frame itself it too big for the tabs to go around and two of the tabs sit against the frame making it sit crooked. I had to put a BB spacer inbetween the adaptor and the frame, and I had to put spacers behind ONE of the ISCG tabs but not the others, so it would not sit as crooked. Its working now, but what this thing really needs is a ISCG adaptor that is flush on both sides.
But besides that, it is all smiles.
Here are the pics:

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
munkyboy said:
sweet,

what height are you and how does it feel size wise? i'm 5'9 - is a small a better bet?
I am 5'10 and this bike is small.
I needed a hardtail that would be a slalom race bike, a DJer, and a trail bike.
My medium is the perfect size for slalom for me, but it is small feeling on trails.
That is why I went with a 410mm layback seatpost and a 70mm stem.
Its a good compromise though.
It really shines on tight trails.
A medium should fit you fine.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
K2-man said:
looks great !
but is your fork not too low for the frame ?
Its an air u-turn fork.
I run it at 100 for slalom or jumping,
and I run it at 120 for trailriding.
My fork goes to 130, but it feels dialed on trails at 120.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Nice ride, I just bought a Large and that feels small I'm 5' 10", mind I've gone for an inline post and 70mm stem so it is probably similar to your medium, for reach, I've done 4 rides so far and I'm really happy with the ride, I'm doing more trails than jumps hence I went large, running a Pike up front set to 140mm still climbs fine, can't upload a pic for you server is to busy is all I get! Its certainly a bike that can be used for any thing the BB is fun took me a while to set it up with my front mech.
Yeah great ride Jeremy R

Finally got to upload a photo, just shows what you can do to these frame, thers you dirt jumping 4x etc, and mine set up for XC trails, I fitted the Pike so I couldd swop the wheels and go jumping :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Jeremy R said:
Its an air u-turn fork.
I run it at 100 for slalom or jumping,
and I run it at 120 for trailriding.
My fork goes to 130, but it feels dialed on trails at 120.
OK, I am going to order a medium chameleon. Since i have also a medium 2003 Heckler I think it should be fine (Did not try it).
Fork will be a Fox float 140, good or to much for the frame?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
al_bullit said:
Also... how have you attached the LG-1? Did you use an ISCG adapter?
As far as the water bottle mounts, It has one on the down tube, and one under the down tube.
And yes, I used the adaptor, it was a real joy (read the first post.;) )

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
K2-man said:
OK, I am going to order a medium chameleon. Since i have also a medium 2003 Heckler I think it should be fine (Did not try it).
Fork will be a Fox float 140, good or to much for the frame?
The float should be fine.
Even if it is too much at 140, the float fork can be lowered internally to 120.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Jeremy R said:
As far as the water bottle mounts, It has one on the down tube, and one under the down tube.
And yes, I used the adaptor, it was a real joy (read the first post.;) )
Ah yes, I must learn to read ;) Sorry.

My large Chameleon has bottle bosses on seat tube, that means you only get about 4 inches of post upy/downy before you hit the bottle boss rivet. Bloody annoying! :mad:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Nice looking bike you got there. How much does she weigh? I tried ordering an orange chameleon thru my dealer and they said they dont have the orange as an option anymore:mad:. There is a new lime green and red for new colors. Enjoy the bike!!

·
It's Quick
227 Posts
Hey Grex,

What size did you order? I looked over the specs and decided to go with a medium so that I wouldn't have to run an offset seatpost like my Nomad.Can't wait till it shows up!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Ixquiac said:
Hey Grex,

What size did you order? I looked over the specs and decided to go with a medium so that I wouldn't have to run an offset seatpost like my Nomad.Can't wait till it shows up!
You ordered one too huh.:thumbsup: I ended up ordering a small (white) since the Top Tube is too long for me. I will be running 70mm stem on mine. The last time I checked with my LBS; SC is still painting mine.:) Another week and let the building begin.:)

·
It's Quick
227 Posts
Yup ordered one, and white as well. But when I looked at the geo numbers I figured the medium would keep it close in feel to my Nomad.
Cham Small: TT= 21.5, WB= 41.3
Cham Med: TT= 22.5, WB= 42.3

Nomad Small: TT= 21.9, WB= 42.7 (I run a set back 0.50 seatpost)

Do youknow if the small will have any issues with the fork clearance like the small Nomad did?
I only ask cause the HT is about 1/2 inch smaller than the small Nomad.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Ixquiac said:
Yup ordered one, and white as well. But when I looked at the geo numbers I figured the medium would keep it close in feel to my Nomad.
Cham Small: TT= 21.5, WB= 41.3
Cham Med: TT= 22.5, WB= 42.3

Nomad Small: TT= 21.9, WB= 42.7 (I run a set back 0.50 seatpost)

Do youknow if the small will have any issues with the fork clearance like the small Nomad did?
I only ask cause the HT is about 1/2 inch smaller than the small Nomad.
Yea..medium would fit you better than me. I used to have a Kona with 22.5 TT and it was too long for me. Not gonna make the same mistake again.

Regarding the downtube issue with the fork; I personally called SC if there is an issue with it and they rep said that the problem only exist with the small & medium Nomad.

·
It's Quick
227 Posts
Awesome. Thanks for the info. What fork are you thinking of running on it? I was thinking the best fork would be one of the new FOX TALAS 15 QR. Lighter then my burly 36, but still stiff. This will have to wait though cause my build is gonna be slow going.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.