Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new 2007 MKIII expert finally arrived today. Very stoked :D

It is one of the nicest made bikes I have ever seen.

I've only had a chance for a quick ride when I got home from work today and I am very impressed. Uphill climbing on technical terrain is unbelievable - almost impossible to lose traction! Down felt great too but I couldn't fully let it go as the juicy's need a lot more break-in.

A pic in the backyard below - sorry about the crap lighting but I had to get a ride in before the sun set!

It is basically stock at the moment - but with flat pedals and a shorter stem. And I'll switch to a single ring and bashy on the weekend.

One interesting thing I didn't expect is that the expert is stocked with a non-Uturn Pike (i.e. no travel adjust). Doesn't actually worry me as I would have left it at 140 for 99.9% of the time anyway. If you look carefully at the catalogue only the Team specifies UTurn.

Looking forward to a lot more miles on this machine :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
3,584 Posts
Hell yeah!!! nice ride chew...

I wish the Team came with a non U-Turn Air pike. That's the bike I want to upgrade too but would rather run a Dual Air than a Air U-Turn.

·
otb club member
3,086 Posts
chewee said:
One interesting thing I didn't expect is that the expert is stocked with a non-Uturn Pike (i.e. no travel adjust). Doesn't actually worry me as I would have left it at 140 for 99.9% of the time anyway. If you look carefully at the catalogue only the Team specifies UTurn.
Very nice. Yeah, I noticed that in the catalog. I've got an 06 Expert, which has U-Turn. Funny thing is that it climbs fine fully extended and I've never wound it down. If you are the same way, you got a lighter fork that is just as good in every other way.

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
enjoy the ride

Your MK is going to only get better as you ride it more and more. An amazing bike for sure. The 07 stuff is so well made.

I am eagerly waiting for my 07 frame and I have a 06 MKIII.

Greg

·
Registered
570 Posts
Acadian said:
where did you manage to get a frameset?
Ordered one through my old work (shop) back in the summer. They are not being imported as stock items to the UK so had to special order it when they did their 07 ordering, so it has been a long time coming. Apparently they are en route at the moment.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thx everyone.

I did the 1&1/2 hr work commute on the new steed today - the bike truly does not bob at all when seated pedaling. High rollers are obviously not the best commuting tires though lol (I wore down a fair bit of the rear tire).

For now I have 90 psi in the Fox Float R which seems to be giving around 30% sag (I am about 150lbs nekid) and it is set to 2 clicks below the fastest rebound.

Also have 90 psi in both the positive and negative on the Pike.

I'll stuff around with pressures after some more miles.

FYI the frame is a 17inch and fits me great (I'm 5'9"). I did add a shorter stem but that was more for 'feeling' than fit.

Some better pics and ride report after the weekend. I have an RDO on Friday too :D

lol i went down to the bike lock up at work about 5 times today to check up on my second child :lol:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wow what can I say :D

4 days off work and long rides every day and the bike just rocks :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Rocky decents, singletrack, fire roads, drops, technical, tight and twisty, up and down - this bike loves it all.

The forks and shock have softened up nicely now. The shock is now at about 105 psi to give me the 30% sag (note the o-ring in the pics below is at the sag point - look about right?). The air pike has also softened up well and is feeling pretty much on par with the coil pike on my HT. One little quirk I noticed I was 'missing' about 5 to 10mm of travel on the pike - presumably the negative chamber had been filled first because once i emptied it and filled the positive then negative all the travel came back.

I am very, very happy with this bike. I truly do not have a negative thing to say about it. Feels rock solid and balanced, uphill traction and efficiency is great, downhill is plush and unaffected by braking, and great parts spec too. I am actually half thinking about a Gravity Dropper post - I used to think they were stupid but stopping to change your seat does break up the flow of the ride - either that or put up with too low a seat for climbing, which seems dumb on a bike that is this efficient when seated.

Probably the best thing I can say about this bike is that it has reminded me why I love mountain biking so much. I wake up each morning like an excited puppy lol

I've posted a heap of shots below for people that want to check out the 07 model. Note that the last shot shows the clearance at the new seat stay with bike in full granny - plenty of space now.

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
3,584 Posts
that bike is ill!!! just looking at the pics makes me want to ride mine ;) although I can't wait to get a 07!!

Glad you like the bike and glad it’s getting you all excited about riding! :thumbsup:

thanks for sharing pics with us!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Acadian said:
Hell yeah!!! nice ride chew...

I wish the Team came with a non U-Turn Air pike. That's the bike I want to upgrade too but would rather run a Dual Air than a Air U-Turn.
I thought all air Pike's are Dual Air, even the U-turn models. They all have a seperate positive and negative air chamber which makes then Dual Air, correct?? I think they just don't use the term when describing the U-turn models.

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
GTV8 said:
I thought all air Pike's are Dual Air, even the U-turn models. They all have a seperate positive and negative air chamber which makes then Dual Air, correct?? I think they just don't use the term when describing the U-turn models.
He is just saying he doesn't need the u-turn. The team spec Pike has the u-turn the expert doesn't.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Santa came late!!!!

Hopefully get it built up at the weekend, dodgy knee is not up to proper off road at the moment but at least it will make what little riding I can manage at the moment more fun!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.