Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pics of my '06 SWORKS Enduro. Assembly just completed. Just installed a RockShox Monarch 4.2 8.5X2.5. Used a Roco front spacer kit to get the 22mm width (closest RockShox kit was 22.2mm) Using the High BB shuttle to give same geo as stock DHXA w/ Low BB shuttle. Was thinking about waiting for an RP23 but found this for $253! :thumbsup: DHXA is at DirtLabs for some love to see if they can address my issues with the shock.

Was running about 250psi in DHXA to get around 30% sag (240lb ride wt) and looks like Monarch will be around 200psi for just under 30% sag with Gate open and about 25% sag with middle Gate setting.

With no air in the shock, the seatstay bearing tabs just barely make contact with the air can at full compression (I mean just a tiny "tink"). But I have not been able to hear contact with ride pressure no matter how hard I slam myself down on the bike in driveway testing (o-ring is being pushed off so looks to be pretty much full travel). The tolerance is so close the o-ring actually gets pinched between the air can and seatstay bearing tabs (and left little pinch marks during zero pressure bottom out testing). I will be keeping a close eye on this one apparent possible issue as riding time increases.

Bike weighs 32.7lb as pictured. Was right at 33lb with the DHXA. I'm looking to make this a 6" all-'round trail bike ("free" and "ride" are not really in my vocabulary) so wanting to stay with an air shock.

...And yes those are the original model old-school Avid mechanical disc brakes. These original models had a longer lever arm and thus more power than the current models. Please...don't laugh. They work so well I just keep putting off an upgrade as something more meaningful always comes up.

EDIT: See my post down the thread. Monarch, in fact, does NOT work for this bike!
 

Attachments

·
AKA; Jimmy Tango
Joined
·
804 Posts
Thats a real nice bike you have there:thumbsup: I am in the process of building another bike. One of my last parts dilemas was brakes. All my bikes have hydraulic brakes, except for one, my SS. It has BB7's and I love them. I almost ordered another set of BB7, alas, I did not. They are awesome brakes though!
 

·
I dig trails!
Joined
·
5,611 Posts
Nice bike titusquasi!

I look forward a ride report!

Here is a good nugget for ya. There are opportunities to modify the spring and damping of the Monarch.

The RS manual has rebuild instructions which offer up IFP pressures so you can tune that for improved BO, you might even be able to hit the shims.
http://www.sram.com/en/service/rockshox/view.php?catID=2&subcatID=6

There are also large air can spacers that allow you to change the volume of the shock to shape the curve of the air spring.

You will probably have to contact RS for the IPF tool and volume spacers.

P
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mr.P said:
Nice bike titusquasi!

I look forward a ride report!

Here is a good nugget for ya. There are opportunities to modify the spring and damping of the Monarch.

The RS manual has rebuild instructions which offer up IFP pressures so you can tune that for improved BO, you might even be able to hit the shims.
http://www.sram.com/en/service/rockshox/view.php?catID=2&subcatID=6

There are also large air can spacers that allow you to change the volume of the shock to shape the curve of the air spring.

You will probably have to contact RS for the IPF tool and volume spacers.

P
Already in the works. I need more rebound damping, just like every other air shock I've tried and I would like more progression as the shock moves through it's travel. Will be contacting SRAM this week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WARNING! Scratch the Monarch off the Enduro shock list. Did more fiddling with no air pressure in the shock and there is metal to metal contact at about 2 3/8" of the shock's 2 1/2" stroke. The bottom lip of the air can hits the bearing tabs on the seatstays.

Look at a Fox air shock and the dust wiper on the shaft sticks at least 1/8" out from the air can. On the Monarch the dust wiper is almost completely covered by the bottom lip of the air can...thus, contact before full stroke. Bummer...:madman:

Snagged a used Float R on fleabay for super cheap. Waiting for the DHXA back from Dirtlabs. If that doesn't feel right the Float is going to PUSH. Money, money, money...:rolleyes:
 

·
Stray Bullet
Joined
·
2,273 Posts
titusquasi said:
WARNING! Scratch the Monarch off the Enduro shock list. Did more fiddling with no air pressure in the shock and there is metal to metal contact at about 2 3/8" of the shock's 2 1/2" stroke. The bottom lip of the air can hits the bearing tabs on the seatstays.

Look at a Fox air shock and the dust wiper on the shaft sticks at least 1/8" out from the air can. On the Monarch the dust wiper is almost completely covered by the bottom lip of the air can...thus, contact before full stroke. Bummer...:madman:

Snagged a used Float R on fleabay for super cheap. Waiting for the DHXA back from Dirtlabs. If that doesn't feel right the Float is going to PUSH. Money, money, money...:rolleyes:
The problem is not with the Monarch but the size of the shock. Any shock with a compressed length of 6" like the 8.5" x 2.5" Monarch you'll have some frame contact with the 'slack' shuttle. With the steep shuttle you'll have the geometry and travel as the stock DHX Air 8.75" x 2.5" in slack set-up.

Buying a Float R won't solve the the problem. I'm currently running a 8.5" x 2.5" RP23 in 'steep' and at full travel there isn't any frame interference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nagaredama said:
The problem is not with the Monarch but the size of the shock. Any shock with a compressed length of 6" like the 8.5" x 2.5" Monarch you'll have some frame contact with the 'slack' shuttle. With the steep shuttle you'll have the geometry and travel as the stock DHX Air 8.75" x 2.5" in slack set-up.

Buying a Float R won't solve the the problem. I'm currently running a 8.5" x 2.5" RP23 in 'steep' and at full travel there isn't any frame interference.
We're not talking about the same "contact". I have the Monarch mounted with the steep shuttle, so yes, there is no chance of swing-link to frame contact. What makes contact is the bearing tabs on the seatstay (where the 15mm bolt passes through the shock) with the lower lip of the shock's air can. This is not an issue with a similar Fox shock because of the way the dust wipers and air cans are designed differently.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top