Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,867 Posts
Mixed is where it's at!

I know it sounds odd, but after a month on this set up, I won't go back, the carvability is amazing, the rear end tracks like a 27+, the front rolls over terrain like a 29+, I feel like I can get back on the rear wheel better for steep tech descending,but it still climbs like mad.

I never would have tried it, but I had the wheels...

The Mutz is a pretty cool bike, so many choices for set ups, it's tinkerers bike for sure.

Lovin' the Wren, there's no need for anything else, so glad I went the beta tester route :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just love the Foes With 27.5 and 3" Nobby Nic. So quick handling, and what a grip of these tires. I am running Procore from Schwalbe also to be able to go lower Down the air pressure. Love the Onyx hubs With nextie rims.
I am also loving the Nextie Onyx combo. I am running Trail Boss 3.0 on front and Bomboloni 3.0 on back. Very happy with performance so far. I couldn't believe how easy they seated up as well. I am very happy with my Foes.

·
Registered
683 Posts
There is really big difference in tires sizes of the 27+ categori. The latest I have tried now i actually 29"and1/8" and is taller then a 4" VanHelga tire?? The tire is a 3.25 Duro Crux and I have heard it is the second largest 27+ tire, after the Vee Trax Fatty 3.25.

So if you want to make a sort of "Mixer"style Mutz you could use a 3.25 up front, so you will probably have a size in between 29" and 29"+ and then use a smaller 27+ tire rear, like a 2.8" or a 3".

I will try to use he Nobby Nic 3" rear that is a 1" less in diameter. I think the stack height is Perfect With the 3.25" Duro Crux, the Down side is he rubber compound that probably is not up to it. It might be a solution to use he Vee Trax Fatty 3.25 in silica compound.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Well I'm glad you you like it Ben as you seemed skeptical about the mixed wheel setup in the past. I still haven't built my mixer yet but should have it by summers end. main thing I'm having trouble with is deciding on what drive train...? 2x10 or 1x12 as in the new eagle by sram. Always been a Shimano fan and run a 3x now on my old fxr but have no experience with the new set ups.

·
Premium Member
8,867 Posts
I was skeptical about an f's fattys, then I bought one, kinda goes with life, try it and see...

I am still riding mixed, no plans to go back.

Well I'm glad you you like it Ben as you seemed skeptical about the mixed wheel setup in the past. I still haven't built my mixer yet but should have it by summers end. main thing I'm having trouble with is deciding on what drive train...? 2x10 or 1x12 as in the new eagle by sram. Always been a Shimano fan and run a 3x now on my old fxr but have no experience with the new set ups.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I bought Vee Trax Fatty to test against the Duro Crux. I was told it should be bigger than the Duro but actually it is not so wide. It might have a larger diameter. The rubber compound is much better but less aggressive knobs. Safer on wet roots and rocks but not so good on the loose.

·
Premium Member
8,867 Posts
Swapped back to 27+ on both ends, I like the mixed ride for most things, but they limit agility in tight terrain and there is a certain awkwardness that comes with trying to throw around a 29+ front end.

The same set up with a shorter swingarm or non plus wheels might be better.

No noticeable disadvantage otherwise, worth the experience, might even try it on a non fat bike.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Swapped back to 27+ on both ends, I like the mixed ride for most things, but they limit agility in tight terrain and there is a certain awkwardness that comes with trying to throw around a 29+ front end.

No noticeable disadvantage otherwise, worth the experience, might even try it on a non fat bike.
Glad I did not rebuild my front Wheel then, since I have been in doubt if it should be necassery to have a 29" plus front Wheel. Of course I feel better roll over capability of the bigger diameter of the largest 3.25” Duro Crux than the Nobby Nic with 1” less diameter. But the bike is much more nimble with the Nobby Nic`s than the Duro Crux.
If you want some from both worlds, just try a large diameter wheel in front (3.25), and a smaller, like a 2.8” in the rear.

·
Registered
683 Posts

Did put on the Schwalbe tires yesterday, after some biking With 3.25 Duro Crux and Vee Tire Fatty Traxx 3.25. There is like you are saying NursBen, a trade off. You get roll over capability, but you have not som agile bike With the big diameter Wheels. The nimble feeling came back With the lower profile Scwhalbe Nobby Nick`s. It is also so much better tires then the other 27.5 I have used. Vee Tire have good rubber (soft enough), but poor knob pattern, Duro Crux have good profile but poor rubber (too hard).

Conclusion is, what do you need the 29+ for??

·
Premium Member
8,867 Posts
Did put on the Schwalbe tires yesterday, after some biking With 3.25 Duro Crux and Vee Tire Fatty Traxx 3.25. There is like you are saying NursBen, a trade off. You get roll over capability, but you have not som agile bike With the big diameter Wheels. The nimble feeling came back With the lower profile Scwhalbe Nobby Nick`s. It is also so much better tires then the other 27.5 I have used. Vee Tire have good rubber (soft enough), but poor knob pattern, Duro Crux have good profile but poor rubber (too hard).

Conclusion is, what do you need the 29+ for??
Need?

It's rarely about need, mostly want or why the hell not.

29+ is cool, I prefer the mixxer version to 29+ on both ends, the main reason I went back to 27+ on both ends is low speed agility in tight places.

I've got the wheels, so for me it's just a quick brake adjustment and away we go.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Need?

It's rarely about need, mostly want or why the hell not.

29+ is cool, I prefer the mixxer version to 29+ on both ends, the main reason I went back to 27+ on both ends is low speed agility in tight places.

I've got the wheels, so for me it's just a quick brake adjustment and away we go.
Of course, no need just want....BTW have you tried the fork With 140mm setting, and how is it working?

·
Premium Member
8,867 Posts
Of course, no need just want....BTW have you tried the fork With 140mm setting, and how is it working?
Been running 140mm on the fork since the clip arrived, works great, perfect amount of travel with the rear set up at 5.5".

BTW, I took a long hard look at my suspension pivots and there isn't any play, so I'm not sure what happened on your bike, but mine is just as solid now as it was when new..

Just got back from riding lift served at Deer Valley in Park City Utah, great place to ride, ride all the big lines from the Tidal Wave to Alpine Slalom.

Heading to Stevens Pass tomorrow for some after work lift served, gotta get it while the getting is good :)

The Mutz kills it!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Been running 140mm on the fork since the clip arrived, works great, perfect amount of travel with the rear set up at 5.5".

BTW, I took a long hard look at my suspension pivots and there isn't any play, so I'm not sure what happened on your bike, but mine is just as solid now as it was when new..

Just got back from riding lift served at Deer Valley in Park City Utah, great place to ride, ride all the big lines from the Tidal Wave to Alpine Slalom.

Heading to Stevens Pass tomorrow for some after work lift served, gotta get it while the getting is good :)

The Mutz kills it!
That is great! Did you use a coil or a air shock? I will try the Mutz With a Cane Creek Coil w/CS now. I am also waiting for the 10mm Clip for the Wren, but I am a bit in doubt if it will bottom out more easy. How are Your running the air pressure compared to 150mm setting?

The Wren seems to keep up With lift served riding also?

·
Premium Member
8,867 Posts
Yeah, the Wren is plenty burly, more like a DH fork, no flex when dropping into gnar, or jumping.

I'm 200#, I run 130-135 in the CC Inline and 60-65 top and bottom on the Wren. I don't remember the pressure I ran ar 150mm travel, maybe a little less, at 130mm travel I think I ran a little more.

Bottoming out is really not something I have a problem with as I generally keep a close eye on the o ring and adjust pressure accordingly.

I didn't get a coil, instead I'm building a trail bike for times when the Mutz is an overkill.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts