Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!

My favorite tire the WTB MutanoRaptor 2.4 cut on me in the rear (in 2 months on-off riding). I'm not sure I can now trust it on the occasional Tahoe trip comming up this season. The tire is still running but I feel like impending disaster is on it's way.

These are my beloved tires, and I don't want to say goodbye as they:
- roll fast and efficient
- have good volume
- and are lower weight. ~600 grams.

Any recommendations on replacements based on the list above?

I had MutanoRaptor 2.24's and they were very reliable but much heavier.

I ride aggressive XC with catching little bits of air when it can bit had. (I weigh 185)

Thanks,

Mr. P

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Phat_Head said:
u can always get the heavier casing mutano. i think it's called the dna. those things are tough as nails.
The casing is the DNA type and I know there is a "Laser" version out there that is for FR. I have run the MutanoRaptor 2.24 and the casing is slightly smaller but the tires are much more heavy duty.

I took another peek at the cut and saw some cut marks in line with said cut on the side of the tire. So I assume this is from a rock. The cut isn't too deep or bad, but I think it will lead to a knob tearing off which I have seen happen to these tires on others' rides.

I think I'll go mad scientist and try gluing the cut and see what happens. Any suggestions on glue?

Mr. P

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
14TripleD said:
Kenda Blue Groove / Nevegal would be perfect for Tahoe!
Thanks for the suggestion, I will take a peek at the Kenda Blue Groove / Nevegal tires. The open tread does look good for Tahoe. Kenda seems to be a popular recommendation.

I have new Maxxis HansVenture 2.3's in my garage, maybe I put those on for the Tahoe trips? I am unsure about adding a pound to each of my wheels when Tahoe climbs will already be kicking my butt. :eek:

Mr. P

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
DNA is a WTB rubber compound, not a casing type. The Laser is a different casing.

I use Shoe Goo to fill torn knobs/tread. Clean well and let the tire dry completely before applying any glue/Goo.

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a follow up to my original post:

I repaired the MutanoRaptor 2.4 cuts with Super Glue and it has held up for a 15 mile ride with rocks and jumps. That may be a lasting solution.

But as stated above, the tire is too big and too light for my weight, riding style and conditions. But I will keep the one on the front.

I have a Maxxis HansVenture 2.35 sitting in my garage, and I am going to give that a try. For me rolling resistance turmps weight and so does reliability. And besides with a Hans Rey tire I'll be able to ride a wheely up Machu Picho :D

Thanks for the replies.

Mr. P

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.