Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since coming to NC a few months ago, I've has a blast riding motorcycles, and now mtb's. Meanwhile my family has little to do when I take off for most of the weekend. I'm feeling like more of an ass than normal. Not an easy task! We don't have a group of family friends like we did in Ca yet. Where should we go for a weekend of family fun that includes some trail riding for me and my son. But also something for the rest of the clan? The wife and I have an 11yr old girl, 6yr old boy, and 17mo old boy. I don't really care what the "other" stuff is, as long as we all have a good time. Any thoughts at all????????

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Fontana they have trails and tsali is next door. They also have family fun like a swiming pool, rec center, lake, etc... They have cabins to stay in or you can camp. I've never been but it looks like it may fit your needs. I don't know what your wife and daughter like so I could be wrong. Do you camp?

I'm in the same boat. I have three boys, ages 7, 2 and 1 month. My wife doesn't ride but she understands that if I don't I start to go insane. So she is very good to let me out at least once a week. We have started to make some friends. My wife's hobby is having people over on the weekends, cooking way too much food, hanging out and having a good time. So as long as I'm home in time for the party I stay out of the dog house. When we first moved here 2 years ago we had no friends and my wife was no so thrilled about living here but things have really gotten better in the last year.

Our family trip this year will be camping in the smokies, dollywood, tubing on a creek, getting drunk by the campfire, riding at tsali etc... Camping suites us. It's cheap. The kids love just running around in the wood. The wife likes hanging out at the fire after the kids go to bed.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maida7 said:
Fontana they have trails and tsali is next door. They also have family fun like a swiming pool, rec center, lake, etc... They have cabins to stay in or you can camp. I've never been but it looks like it may fit your needs. I don't know what your wife and daughter like so I could be wrong. Do you camp?

I'm in the same boat. I have three boys, ages 7, 2 and 1 month. My wife doesn't ride but she understands that if I don't I start to go insane. So she is very good to let me out at least once a week. We have started to make some friends. My wife's hobby is having people over on the weekends, cooking way too much food, hanging out and having a good time. So as long as I'm home in time for the party I stay out of the dog house. When we first moved here 2 years ago we had no friends and my wife was no so thrilled about living here but things have really gotten better in the last year.

Our family trip this year will be camping in the smokies, dollywood, tubing on a creek, getting drunk by the campfire, riding at tsali etc... Camping suites us. It's cheap. The kids love just running around in the wood. The wife likes hanging out at the fire after the kids go to bed.
I haven't camped in years. Growing up, that used to be my favorite weekend deal. Tubing, camping, and crawdad hunting. That sounds like the perfect getaway for my group. Is this the right "time of year" for where you're talking about? I'm gonna go over to Dicks and check out the latest camping/fishing gear right now. And of course.....a big freckin cooler!:thumbsup:

Any other families want to plan a simultanious trip, send me a PM. I'm trying to prevent a mutiny here!!!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Natahala is right up the road from Tsali as well for your tubing needs. You can rent kayaks for floating around on Fontana Lake and there are cabins at Natahala also. I have been trying to accomodate my wife for years, but it is hard when she doesn't like heat, bugs, dirt, or cold.:bluefrown: Oh well...

Her hobby is shopping.:yikes:

PS. Steve, we may be able to work something up for this fall or late summer. It's hard to do anything with toddlers, though. My in laws have a small camper we can borrow and I have a nice 3 man tent. We just need to schedule something. I have thought about a trip to Bent Creek to camp and ride. What's odd is that she is up for camping, as long as the camper has A/C. :eek:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The web sites for those spots make them out to be more like resorts. Is there good tent camping around there? My wife is up for anything. Or so she says. We just got back from Grangers. Looking at all the camping supplies makes me all nastalgic. I just don't want to pop my tent up in the parking lot next to a hotel..if you know what I mean.;) All I want to see is a river/lake, trails, and trees.:D We'll try "real" camping, before moving on to resorts and such if the gang can't hang.

·
401 Posts
You've come to the right place....

There a tons of places to camp around here...........every thing from car camping to the deep woods stuff. As you may be aware of....Bent Creek has quite a few spots around the lake and so close to home. As the seasons change you will see that early fall and late spring are the best time of year to get out.......See ya'll around soon. :D

·
Official Cooler Inspector
2,652 Posts
Non-riding Female SO's might enjoy Bent Creek Area for a camping trip.

Lake with imported sand beach (open possibilities)
Arboretum with gardens (open posibilities)
1.5 miles to a mega shoe store (good for 4.5 hours)
2.0 miles to a mall (add at least 3.0 hours)
2.0 miles to a grocery store (another 1.0 hour)

Just with the above - I calculate you have 8.5 hours to ride free. This does not include take out food, Biltmore House, French Broad River trip or a going to downtown Asheville.

You do the math.

;)

BTW: Tsali camp proper is in a dry county.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Seems hard to find that perfect balance between enough time spent w/family & enough time spent riding. If you try to use any free time from family to ride, then most likely you'll have ride alone on a local trail cause you didn't have time to plan anything w/what few riding buds you have & if you did get to ride w/them you'd be at th' back of th' pack cause you're out of shape compared to your ridin' buds. My soon to be EX didn't seem to think very much of a sport that keeps me healthy, unless I'm waddin' up off of a drop or jump, out of bars & such. We seperated a yr ago 7-10-05 & I've been gettin' all th' ridin' time I want now. Put yer priorities in perspective. W/3 kids you ain't got much choice, but being creative & trying to incorporate riding into trips for th' whole family can be hard to disguise. When you decide on a "family trip" & you loading up th' vehicle & your SO walks out & asks "Do we have to take th' bikes on every trip we take?", that will be the 1st indicator, (red flag), that your gonna have an issue w/her each time you ride. Family/bikes, bikes\family....a very, very, very delicate balancing act is in your future. That's my prediction. You probably made a better choice in a SO than I did so ignore my rant, I had to walk th' plank a yr ago.

·
Registered
235 Posts
man w/ one hand said:
Seems hard to find that perfect balance between enough time spent w/family & enough time spent riding. If you try to use any free time from family to ride, then most likely you'll have ride alone on a local trail cause you didn't have time to plan anything w/what few riding buds you have & if you did get to ride w/them you'd be at th' back of th' pack cause you're out of shape compared to your ridin' buds. My soon to be EX didn't seem to think very much of a sport that keeps me healthy, unless I'm waddin' up off of a drop or jump, out of bars & such. We seperated a yr ago 7-10-05 & I've been gettin' all th' ridin' time I want now. Put yer priorities in perspective. W/3 kids you ain't got much choice, but being creative & trying to incorporate riding into trips for th' whole family can be hard to disguise. When you decide on a "family trip" & you loading up th' vehicle & your SO walks out & asks "Do we have to take th' bikes on every trip we take?", that will be the 1st indicator, (red flag), that your gonna have an issue w/her each time you ride. Family/bikes, bikes\family....a very, very, very delicate balancing act is in your future. That's my prediction. You probably made a better choice in a SO than I did so ignore my rant, I had to walk th' plank a yr ago.
It is a delicate balance for sure. But from what I have heard, OB1 has a pretty laid back wife. My wife, on the other hand, ain't so subtle. She just lays it out there...if she's upset about my time spent on a bike or a motorcycle, I find out right then...:eekster:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
man w/ one hand said:
Man, I don't envy your position bro. As I said, call me if you need anything. But as for me....I wear the pants in my family. My bish do what I say, when I say! I keep the beating belt hanging in the living room....and she ain't immune to it. Best of all, she doesn't read this forum.;)
Truthfully, my guilt here is self imposed. She encourages me to ride whenever possible, and has yet to complain. But as I sleep in while she gets up early to pack all my stuff for my ride....I feel that little guilty for some reason.:D I took her with me the first time I went to Clarks. She sat on a chick Haro and said "I WANT IT." I think the whole fam would be out riding every weekend if it wasn't for 2 things. My need to hit some freeride...and our 17mo old. Two glitches in the system. I' know I'm lucky she picked me as an SO. As we all know, I'm closer to an SOB.:cool:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I agree, Bent Creek is perfect. When I was injured, my husband would drop me off to admire the arboretum while he rode. Sometimes I would go to the mall while he rode, if I got tired of crutching around looking at flowers. There are lots of short trails within the Arboretum , very gentle, so if she wanted to push a baby jogger or something she could.

Of course, back then the arboretum was free. MUM, is there any way to avoid the $6?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Family is fun too!

Hey man. I too want to enjoy the bike while also enjoying time with my family. My wife and I have two kids - one is almost four and the other is just 18 months, so I can sympathize with you. I bought my wife a Stumpjumper WSD to ride (when she can) and I just try to include them in as much as I can.

I have a golden opportunity for you and your clan: check out Fontana Fest next weekend! There you can enjoy camping, riding, entertainment for both adults and the kids, and you might just meet some folks that share our family situation. The event takes place between Fontana Village and the Tsali trailhead.

Learn more here: http://www.jandwevents.com/fontanafest.html

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
I think the 6$ is a parking fee. You can park just before the toll both for free and walk a trail to the arboretum. I've never been in the conservatories so I don't know if you must pay for that.

If you stay at BC and want something for the younger kids to do. In downtown Asheville there is a science museum called the health adventure. They have a new installation of balls on raceway tracks. Very interactive. My 7 yr old and 2 yr old had a blast. And it wasn't to expensive. I don't remember the actual cost but it was less than going to the movies.

Also another fun family outing in Asheville is a baseball game. Thursdays beer is 1.00. The place is tiny so all the seats have a great view of the field. Tickets are cheap at 6.00 a pop. My 7yr old plays little league so he got a kick out of going to a real game.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
dstinsley said:
Hey man. I too want to enjoy the bike while also enjoying time with my family. My wife and I have two kids - one is almost four and the other is just 18 months, so I can sympathize with you. I bought my wife a Stumpjumper WSD to ride (when she can) and I just try to include them in as much as I can.

I have a golden opportunity for you and your clan: check out Fontana Fest next weekend! There you can enjoy camping, riding, entertainment for both adults and the kids, and you might just meet some folks that share our family situation. The event takes place between Fontana Village and the Tsali trailhead.

I'm soooo stupid! Why em I not doing that?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dstinsley said:

Now that might just be the perfect first over-niter for us. Not to mention all the other mtbrs! I'm gonna run it by the wife tonight. $50 right?

·
Registered
35 Posts
OB1 said:
Now that might just be the perfect first over-niter for us. Not to mention all the other mtbrs! I'm gonna run it by the wife tonight. $50 right?
That is correct. $50 covers your whole family. Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts