Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Upgrade Addict
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any luck with this? Just got a set of 2.4's that I want to try to set up tubless on my UST rims. After I bought them I noticed that they are one of the "not recommended" tires on Stan's web site. Figures.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
johnmre said:
Anyone have any luck with this? Just got a set of 2.4's that I want to try to set up tubless on my UST rims. After I bought them I noticed that they are one of the "not recommended" tires on Stan's web site. Figures.
I had a sidewall tear on my Mutano 2.4's within the first 10 miles (XTR UST rims and Stans). I run them tubed only now. I did setup my SO's singlespeed with Maxxis Strips, Mutano's and Stans and she did not have any issues for a few months (she has since switched to Kenda BG and Nev's using the same system).

·
Team BikeWood
161 Posts
They work great for me....

johnmre said:
I've got the 2.4 Mutanos w/ Stan's on 3 bikes and I've never had any problems (3 yrs on one bike, 2 yrs on one and a year on the 3rd bike). It's my favorite setup for fast rolling, large volume, XC riding. I know Stan recommends against the WTB tires but I've had great success with Mutanos, Weirwolfs, Epicwolfs and Exiwolfs. Never had any problems with any of them and they all set up very easily with Stan's. I should probably note that all of these were set up on regular XC rims (Velocity VXCs, Sun Sub IVs).

·
Registered
525 Posts
I wore out a pair of Motoraptors using Stans with no problems. I guess Stans does this for our protection. I have a friend that has run two X-terras in Maui on Hutchinson Pythons which are not recommended by Stans and he has never had problems in 5 years of running this combo. You will not have a problem just dont run over 40 psi.

·
Registered
385 Posts
You will not have a problem just dont run over 40 psi.
what happens if you exceed 40psi? do you pop the bead off the rim?

I've punctured my tire, lost some air, then "burped" before, but I've never had a problem with too much air..

I run 37psi in my 2.24s on a 17mm wide rim, no issues

·
Registered
525 Posts
You can have your bead break by over inflating. My Friend thought he would let his tires
set overnight with 55 psi. The bead broke and blew stans all over his wifes car. He was in the doghouse for a while over that. He was running WTB Motoraptor 2.24s with kevlar beads.

·
Registered
833 Posts
doug4sail said:
You can have your bead break if over inflating. My Friend thought he would let his tires
set overnight with 55 psi. The bead broke and blew stans all over his wifes car. He was in the doghouse for a while over that. He was running WTB Motoraptor 2.24s with kevlar beads.
Thanks for the advice.
I was planning to prepare my tubelsess converted AM wheels (kevlar Motoraptor on the rear) this weekend, but maybe it would be wise to wait a few weeks - the doghouse is not heated and it's still getting pretty cold at night:D

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
flipnidaho said:
I had a sidewall tear on my Mutano 2.4's within the first 10 miles (XTR UST rims and Stans). I run them tubed only now. I did setup my SO's singlespeed with Maxxis Strips, Mutano's and Stans and she did not have any issues for a few months (she has since switched to Kenda BG and Nev's using the same system).
I like the 2.4 Mutanos, but the sidewalls tear too darn easily. I usually tear the sidewalls long before the tread wears, but I really like how they roll on my fully rigid singlespeed. If I didn't have tubes when I had those tears, I would have had a complete blowout.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
shoot man, your using my favorite tire...yeah, i've run those with stan's for a couple years now...yeah, i read the sheet on stans website...the tire worx just fine

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.