Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on replacing a non TLR Mustang with a TLR rim this spring. Are the Dusters still weighing in about the same as the Mustangs? I know mikesee noted that they were very close in weight awhile back. I am leaning toward the Duster TLR to gain a little volume out of a rear race tire (the new Bonty XR1 maybe) for this season. Can I use the same spokes for either rim?

G

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
G-Live said:
Planning on replacing a non TLR Mustang with a TLR rim this spring. Are the Dusters still weighing in about the same as the Mustangs? I know mikesee noted that they were very close in weight awhile back. I am leaning toward the Duster TLR to gain a little volume out of a rear race tire (the new Bonty XR1 maybe) for this season. Can I use the same spokes for either rim?

G
Greg... I don't know about the spokes, but I do remember weighing the rims and them being really close, but I don't remember #'s.
I gotta say I've LOVED my Duster's. I originally got them to "stiffen up" the rear end of my SC and they did help out in that department.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Todd,
I think I remember you mentioning that and that'd be an additional bonus for sure. I'd be surprised if it did not have the same ERD measurement for the rims and use the same size spokes. I'd think Trek would engineer them that way if possible to keep their required spoke sizes to a minimum.

G

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,473 Posts
Bonti Info?

Anyone know where you can find detailed online info on specific Bonti rims?

Mikesee has built me a few wheels, and I've used Mustang TLRs and really like them. The info I get on the rims is typically through Mike when I need a build but it would still be nice to check the stuff out online beforehand.

What are the weights for the TLR Mustangs and Dusters? I was told the non-TLR Mustangs were about 495g and that the TLR version was about the same.

Is the Duster an OSB design? I think the OSB design makes a big difference in stiffness.

·
This place needs an enema
17,420 Posts
Mustang non-TLR's are ~489g/rim, ERD is 600.
Mustang TLR's are ~495g/rim, ERD is 603.
Duster TLR's are ~500g/rim, ERD is 605.

All are OSB.

Worth considering if you're on the fence about Duster vs. Mustang--the Duster is 4mm wider and pretty much identical weight. The only thing this can mean (and it plays out in the stand as well as on the trail) is that the Duster is neither as laterally stiff nor as long term durable as the Mustang. I like them both for what they are, but they have different strengths and weaknesses for sure.

MC

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ShoMyOFace said:
XR1's are not TLR...............unfortunately.....................:mad:
I am hoping that they snap into the TLR rims as well as the standard ACX have and the IRC Mythos fronts have. Did not have good luck with the IRC Notos yet but the one I tried had a bead that was pretty badly kinked, even though it is not steel bead afaik.

G

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mikesee said:

All are OSB.

Worth considering if you're on the fence about Duster vs. Mustang--the Duster is 4mm wider and pretty much identical weight. The only thing this can mean (and it plays out in the stand as well as on the trail) is that the Duster is neither as laterally stiff nor as long term durable as the Mustang. I like them both for what they are, but they have different strengths and weaknesses for sure.

MC
So dusters will require different spokes for sure. Mustang to Mustang TLR?

G

·
Registered
874 Posts
mikesee said:

All are OSB.

MC
Does a wider design add any stiffness at all? I have heard lots of people report the Duster as being a fairly stiff ride, and I thought that came somewhat from the wide design. Kind of like the Flow v. Arch, in which the Flow seems to be described as being much stiffer. Isn't that due primarily to the fact that it is wider, and not the extra 50g; as the rims are essentially the same design with the only diff being the width (which adds the weight). If you lose stiffness by making the rim wider per a given weight or rim material thickness, it would seem those two would ride about the same?

·
This place needs an enema
17,420 Posts
Haymarket said:
Does a wider design add any stiffness at all? I have heard lots of people report the Duster as being a fairly stiff ride, and I thought that came somewhat from the wide design. Kind of like the Flow v. Arch, in which the Flow seems to be described as being much stiffer. Isn't that due primarily to the fact that it is wider, and not the extra 50g; as the rims are essentially the same design with the only diff being the width (which adds the weight). If you lose stiffness by making the rim wider per a given weight or rim material thickness, it would seem those two would ride about the same?
Rim width adds stability in the tire, assuming proper PSI, but the rim just being wider means nothing about the stability of the wheel.

When comparing the Mustang and the Duster, my experience is that (all else being equal) the Duster builds a whippier and weaker wheel. There's a cult of Duster lover's out there that'll disagree with me on that one and that's fine. I'm just one guy with one opinion, but building and riding them back to back I have no doubt about what I'm feeling in the stand and on the trail.

That doesn't make the Duster a *bad* rim, it is what it is: a wide XC rim. Think Delgado Disc but with an awesome tubeless interface.

Comparing Arch and Flow is about more than width: Flow is minimum 50g heavier *per rim* and that mass makes a tremendous difference in the lateral rigidity and durability of the built wheel.

MC

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,473 Posts
This guy built me a nice Mustang TLR....

mikesee said:
Rim width adds stability in the tire, assuming proper PSI, but the rim just being wider means nothing about the stability of the wheel.

When comparing the Mustang and the Duster, my experience is that (all else being equal) the Duster builds a whippier and weaker wheel. There's a cult of Duster lover's out there that'll disagree with me on that one and that's fine. I'm just one guy with one opinion, but building and riding them back to back I have no doubt about what I'm feeling in the stand and on the trail.

That doesn't make the Duster a *bad* rim, it is what it is: a wide XC rim. Think Delgado Disc but with an awesome tubeless interface.

Comparing Arch and Flow is about more than width: Flow is minimum 50g heavier *per rim* and that mass makes a tremendous difference in the lateral rigidity and durability of the built wheel.

MC
The Mustang TLR is a great rim that you don't hear much about (that's why I'm always plugging it). While not as wide as the Duster I've not found it to be too narrow for the tires I've used on it. The Bonti Dry X is a wide enough tire for rocky, hard trailriding, under my 185# and I've not felt it squirm on the the Mustang. For wetter riding it clearly supports a Jones ACX. Thinking out loud, I wish they'd cross the Dry X and ACX and gives us a Jones with thicker sidewalls.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
mikesee said:

MC
I probably should have added a disclaimer to my original post...
My 32H Duster replaced the Race wheelset on my SC which were 28H rims, so in hindsight, of course they would be stiffer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.