Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a pair of Nitto mustache bars and I'm pretty sure I wasted my money. I've tried four diff stems and can't get comfortable at all. Also causing some major wrist pain. WTH! Anyone else have similar problem with these style bars? These are going to end up in the classifieds.

·
Just Ride!
806 Posts
Short & High

Lurker Mode Off,

I really don't ride w/ a moustache bar but I ride my Rock Lobster cross bike w/ dropbars a lot off road and in order for me to ride the drops I use a shorter than normal stem w/ a higher rise so I can ride the hoods and drops for technical sections. But again if you will put the bar in the classifieds I will keep an eye out for it:D

Thanks

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Drops or moustache bars aren't for everyone. Personally, I like both, but that's me. If you are more comfortable on flats (risers), go back. No reason to be uncomfortable on the bike. There's plenty here who will snag up your moustache bars.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pigtire said:
Lurker Mode Off,

I really don't ride w/ a moustache bar but I ride my Rock Lobster cross bike w/ dropbars a lot off road and in order for me to ride the drops I use a shorter than normal stem w/ a higher rise so I can ride the hoods and drops for technical sections. But again if you will put the bar in the classifieds I will keep an eye out for it:D

Thanks
Each stem I tried was higher and shorter than the last. Didn't seem to help. I had shoulder and wrist problems going into this purchase. Probably wasn't a wise choice on my part. The mustache bar is coming off.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My experience...

I had trouble with my moustache bars until I decided to ignore all the mounting advice I'd read around the web. My best results came with using the same stem I'd had on the bike originally, instead of a shorter one. I also droppped the bar about 2cm below the height of my saddle & tilted them just a wee bit. It's all good now.

Disclaimer - I'm using these bars on 2 road bikes - never tried them off-road. :D

punk77 said:
I purchased a pair of Nitto mustache bars and I'm pretty sure I wasted my money. I've tried four diff stems and can't get comfortable at all. Also causing some major wrist pain. WTH! Anyone else have similar problem with these style bars? These are going to end up in the classifieds.

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
punk77 said:
Each stem I tried was higher and shorter than the last. Didn't seem to help. I had shoulder and wrist problems going into this purchase. Probably wasn't a wise choice on my part. The mustache bar is coming off.
Maybe your bike doesn't fit you properly no matter what the stem/bar combo. Something to examine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fit is good

riderx said:
Maybe your bike doesn't fit you properly no matter what the stem/bar combo. Something to examine.
I didn't have any problem until I decided to put these bars on. First with my original stem and then swapping stems several times. Just doesn't work me. Sux cuz I really like the way they looked. Oh well.

·
SS Clyde 29er
607 Posts
heya,

its been my experience that they work best on bikes that dont have a relatively long top tube and have a longer head tube, ie road, touring, cross bikes, or maybe custom type rigs like a Matt Chester.

so if ur puttin these on a regular mtn bike, yeaa ur prolly too out front w ur torso, leaning over the bars more, and have more weight on ur arms, hands, n wrists. hill climbing will be better, but down hill can get way sketchy.

u also may wanna try mtb type brake levers vs road type brake levers if u have a choice. this will keep ur hands out of the curve of the bar and more on the straight section. if none of this works you may have to get new bars and,... suffer a reduction in style points! DOH

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
punk77 said:
I didn't have any problem until I decided to put these bars on. First with my original stem and then swapping stems several times. Just doesn't work me. Sux cuz I really like the way they looked. Oh well.
Were your shoulder and wrist problems due to something else? Did you have them at the time your were using the straight bars or did you switch out bars because of the problems?

Were you able to get the M-bars level w/ the saddle or close to it? If not, that's really where they need to be for most people. Also, they need to be tilted slightly down.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
riderx said:
Were your shoulder and wrist problems due to something else? Did you have them at the time your were using the straight bars or did you switch out bars because of the problems?

Were you able to get the M-bars level w/ the saddle or close to it? If not, that's really where they need to be for most people. Also, they need to be tilted slightly down.
Developed shoulder problems early on, before I started riding. Mostly from weight lifting, maybe some from the bmx bike, but add to that a dislocation and I unload trailers for brown santa in the warehouse here. Lots of lifting, pulling, pushing, etc.

Had the bars below the saddle at first with the original stem, then level, then above. I've already put my straight bar back on. So much better. It just wasn't meant to be.

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Just out of curiosity...

punk77 said:
..being the curious person that I am, which bars did you buy? I bought a pair of the nitto M-bars from Rivendale for my tandem and they have worked out pretty good. My tandem is an MTB variety but I mainly ride it on the road with my wife and didn't like the riser bar for road riding (I'm an old roadie and like drop bars on the road). I chose the Rivendale bar because it let me use all MTB components (yes its a geary with grip shifters). Like spudmeister I went contrary to the conventional wisdom, using the same stem and placing the brakes adjacent to the grips instead of up front at the bend. I also tipped the bar back until I got a neutral wrist position. I tried the brakes up front but the bars are just too narrow to control a tadem in that configuration; plus the most comfortable postion I've found is on the grips and I like the brake levers where my hands are.

Given all this I would prefer a drop bar (I've been looking for one of those WTB dirt drops) or maybe the Salsa cross bar, but it means I will need new brake levers and shifters and I'm a little over on this years bike expeditures (or so says the wife).

Anyway, I agree the M-bars are not for everyone and although I perfer them to the riser bars they replaced (and they look kinda cool), I still get cramps in my forearms that I don't get from any other bars; my MTBs all have flat bars with bar ends.

Take care of those shoulders, I too developed constant shoulder problems from weight lifting until I stopped military and incline presses and the problems went away. So it goes..

1G1G, Brad

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
aka brad said:
..being the curious person that I am, which bars did you buy? I bought a pair of the nitto M-bars from Rivendale for my tandem and they have worked out pretty good. My tandem is an MTB variety but I mainly ride it on the road with my wife and didn't like the riser bar for road riding (I'm an old roadie and like drop bars on the road). I chose the Rivendale bar because it let me use all MTB components (yes its a geary with grip shifters). Like spudmeister I went contrary to the conventional wisdom, using the same stem and placing the brakes adjacent to the grips instead of up front at the bend. I also tipped the bar back until I got a neutral wrist position. I tried the brakes up front but the bars are just too narrow to control a tadem in that configuration; plus the most comfortable postion I've found is on the grips and I like the brake levers where my hands are.

Given all this I would prefer a drop bar (I've been looking for one of those WTB dirt drops) or maybe the Salsa cross bar, but it means I will need new brake levers and shifters and I'm a little over on this years bike expeditures (or so says the wife).

Anyway, I agree the M-bars are not for everyone and although I perfer them to the riser bars they replaced (and they look kinda cool), I still get cramps in my forearms that I don't get from any other bars; my MTBs all have flat bars with bar ends.

Take care of those shoulders, I too developed constant shoulder problems from weight lifting until I stopped military and incline presses and the problems went away. So it goes..

1G1G, Brad
They are the Nitto M bars. Got 'em from A.E. Bike. 25.4 clamp area and I set them up with Dia Compe 287-V levers. I first put them on using the same stem, 120mm w/ 15 degree rise, and felt like I was going to fall over the front of the bike. The last stem I tried was 90mm with a 40 degree rise. Positioned me better on the bike but still caused problems with my wrists and shoulder. Just couldn't get comfortable. I am gonna lose style points going back to my original bars, but such is life. :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
punk77 said:
I purchased a pair of Nitto mustache bars and I'm pretty sure I wasted my money. I've tried four diff stems and can't get comfortable at all. Also causing some major wrist pain. WTH! Anyone else have similar problem with these style bars?
Yes, I've had the same issues. I went with a much shorter, hi-rise stem. I also put extra padding under the bar tape. They look cool, but they aren't very comfortable for me. I end up eagle-clawing the brake hoods. They also blow in the winter when you want to use BarMitts/Pogies.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I/we didn't like them either

punk77 said:
I tested the Bridgestone XO bikes when they first came out and had the same experience with the bars. Others rode them to give me more input, and to a man, all the reports came back the same, "love the bike, hate the bars."
It's been a bone of contention between me and Grant ever since, which bums me, because he and I are on the same wavelength on 99 percent of bike stuff.
Funny thing is, I LOVE dirtdrops, and LOVE his "priest" cruiser bar mounted upside down on my scorcher, which ends up not unlike a moustache bar.
Moustache bars should definitely NOT be lumped into the same category as dirtdrops, totally different experience.

·
Registered
184 Posts
bulC said:
I tested the Bridgestone XO bikes when they first came out and had the same experience with the bars. Others rode them to give me more input, and to a man, all the reports came back the same, "love the bike, hate the bars."
It's been a bone of contention between me and Grant ever since, which bums me, because he and I are on the same wavelength on 99 percent of bike stuff.
Funny thing is, I LOVE dirtdrops, and LOVE his "priest" cruiser bar mounted upside down on my scorcher, which ends up not unlike a moustache bar.
Moustache bars should definitely NOT be lumped into the same category as dirtdrops, totally different experience.
M-bars seem to be a "love 'em or hate 'em" kind of part. I really like them on my /touring / commuting rig, which does get some off-road use. For a pure road bike, I prefer drops. I'm still looking for the ideal off-road bar. I'm currently running some mondo-wide Azonic DH riser bars, with medium-length bar-ends. Oury grips, bar-ends wrapped in CatEye cloth tape. It's OK for shorter rides, which is what I'm mostly doing now, but on rides over 2 - 3 hours, any straight bar, flat or rise, puts my fingers to sleep.

I'd like to try WTB drop bars, but the stupid-high prices they get now, plus the cost of drop-bar levers for my HS-33s, put them on the very back burner for now.

--Shannon

·
Registered
571 Posts
tube_ee said:
I'd like to try WTB drop bars, but the stupid-high prices they get now, plus the cost of drop-bar levers for my HS-33s, put them on the very back burner for now.

--Shannon
The Jones H-bars take regular mtn bike levers, take a lookie over at Jeff Jones' site for info.

I will probably never go back to straights or riser bars after riding these Jones.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.