Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on vacation for the next few weeks and the girlfriend and I are headed up to visit some family in Boston and then wander around New England. We have never been riding in this area, so we would love to hit up some solid spots. We ride XC and my girlfriend is somewhat of an intermediate rider. She likes the smooth, fast stuff, but can handle technical trails.

We are planning to go to the Kingdom Trails in Vermont for a few days. Any other must-ride spots? I would like to hit a few shorter rides (8-15 miles, maybe link up two in the same day) and perhaps a few longer ones as well. Proximity to cool towns with good, laidback nightlife/music scene a plus, particularly if the trail runs right out of the town. Thanks in advance for the beta.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
A few...

I just did three days of riding in NE (I live in CT, but drove north for these rides).

Fort Rock in Exeter (~40 mi North/Northwest of Boston) is very cool. A lot of rocks but the place has a lot of nice flow to it.

Lynn Woods - a lot of fire road type riding interspersed with crazy boulder hucks.

North Conway - A lot of nice riding up there, but I think it would be hard to do without a guide/local knowledge.

Pics and stuff from my trip:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=39300

Sorry didn't sample night life, but Exeter seemed like a cool town and NH beach is pretty close by.

John

·
Registered
218 Posts
TJ. said:
Great trails. Some good rides around the Nanocomok (SP)

TJ
TJ don't lie we really only hit one good trail and that was the long down hill on the first day the rest of the trails we hit sucked, the long ski lift access road? the trail next to the river was ok but the road back to the campground blew. There is some good riding in the area we just didn't get hooked up, and who will ever forget paying for a shower in the National forest, what a rip off. Imagine paying like 1.25 for a 4 min shower at the end of riding when hot water is like heaven you get 4 min abd oopss it stops. NH forest management sucks IMO.

·
Supervixen
82 Posts
North Conway is a must do. The Moats and Catherdral ledge areas have lots of flowy singletrack. Check in at Red Jersey Cyclery. They'll hook you up with a map and suggestions.

Gloucester is another good place. You can ride for hours at Dogtown then head over Ravenswood for some more sweet singltrack. Both Gloucester and Rockport (next town over) are right on the ocean and have plenty of off-bike activities.

For a complete change over scenery, head down to Cape Cod and check out Trail of Tears (in Barnstable I think). Tons of fast, smooth singletrack. It's the Cape, so it's just one big party all summer.

To hook up with some locals, try the forums at www.nemba.org.

Have fun!

Crankypants

·
rack admirer
665 Posts
bostonian

I live just south of Boston and could show a few spots I like locally; Blue Hills, Wampatuck, Plymouth. If you are jonesing to ride, the local trails may satisfy. If you are north, try lynn woods - go to Ragemtb.com they post many evening rides there. One called the mellow ride in case that is your wife's preference. If you are west of boston, try Nam or foxboro. you can try the ride boards at Nemba.org (forums) or busted spoke.com. both sites post group rides that may fit your interest and schedule. As for destination riding, you could try white mountains or green mountains, but make sure that you have guides so you don't get lost or just miss the best stuff. Even with maps, unless the trail is similarly marked, you will get disoriented by unmarked intersections. Destination Places I like in N.E.; Waterbury, Vt. Holyoke Range, Ma., Knightsville watershed, Ma, North Conway, NH.

·
beer thief
4,911 Posts
Ahh, but you guys didn't have the local guide to show you around!

There's a pile of riding in the North Conway area, and the best is not along the Kanc highway, IMO.

Jisch, the other side of town has as much, if not more than we did. Last night's ride shown here, just a bit of climbing. The labeled blue Xs are trail intersections.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts