Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Singletrack Addict!!!
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

Heading up to Crested Butte this August! Big group that prefers the down part of the ride. I have a few trails in my list, Dr. Park, Telluride Ridge, 401,403, ! day @ Evolution Bike Park, Monarch Crest..

What are your must do in the area?

·
Registered
938 Posts
All of those are good rides. I've never ridden in the bike park, however. I think you mean Teocalli Ridge. Reno/Flag/Bear/Deadman's is a good ride if the trails aren't blown out by motos. While you're in the Salida area, Cottonwood is a really good ride with a mix of flowy berms and rocky chunk.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
You got Doctor Park and Monarch Crest in there already, so that should set you, but loads of other great trails I didn't get to ride, just stop into the local bike shops and tell them what type of riding/trails you like and I'm sure they'll point you i the right direction.

DP was my favourite, really suited my riding style, although not a fast n flowy type guy, having that and then come around a corner to a nice, rocky, tech section and having to make split second line choice/decision and committing really helps with my over thinking when I can see stuff coming.

Also enjoyed Monarch Crest, but a completely different type of ride, which I also prefer-lots of miles, some good climbing and some pretty fun descents, all while taking in some fantastic scenery. Make sure you hit up the Rainbow section of trail, remember that being super fun.

I'd also say pop down to Gunnison and check out Hartman Rocks, so many great trails in that network, some real fun stuff with a wide variety of difficulty.

·
Bikes in jeans
2,371 Posts
Snodgrass is still one of my all time favorites. You can link it up with lupine and then take lower loop back to CB. You'll have a few climbs but it's almost all downhill.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Per Lynx above: "I'd also say pop down to Gunnison and check out Hartman Rocks, so many great trails in that network, some real fun stuff with a wide variety of difficulty."

My favorite place in the country to ride.

·
Registered
170 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
401 is my favorite in that area so far. I don't think I can go to CB without riding it.

I've never done the Monarch Crest trail though. That looks amazing.

Dr. Park is fun, but the views aren't remotely close to other trails in the area and it had so many blind corners with hikers on them that I felt I had to slow way down to ride responsibly.

Teocali was pretty, but feel like 6 miles up uphill for 2 miles of downhill.

·
Singletrack Addict!!!
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the suggestions everybody! We'll stay until the 16 when we head out to Moab, so no chance for Outerbike..

@usernametaken, is there a way to shuttle that ride? I see it's quite a drive from monarch crest trailhead to the starvation end..

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions everybody! We'll stay until the 16 when we head out to Moab, so no chance for Outerbike..

@usernametaken, is there a way to shuttle that ride? I see it's quite a drive from monarch crest trailhead to the starvation end..
Moab in August?

Unless you plan on doing *all* of your riding in the mountains, that is not fun. And if you plan on riding exclusively in the mountains, you might as well be in CB, it is better Alpine riding.

If you are below 7000ft in Moab in August, be off of the trail by 11:00 or you will bake. Above 7000 feet you will have afternoon thunderstorms with possible torrential downpours. Either way, you need to roll out of bed and hit the trails *early*.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I rode back up and over to the Rainbow Trail after I exited Starvation Creek, but that was a long ride (40+ miles).

You get shuttled up to the Crest TH, if you rode out from Starvation Creek it would be mostly downhill dirt road to get back to where you caught the shuttle.

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
I like loops, so Snodgrass to 403 to 401 is a favorite, you can skip 401 to make it shorter. 401 is iconic, but not the best riding in the area, it's tame for the most part. Also, a vote for riding around the ski area via Deer Creek and Upper Upper. Deer Creek is a fun descent riding counter clockwise.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Dr. Park is fun, but the views aren't remotely close to other trails in the area and it had so many blind corners with hikers on them that I felt I had to slow way down to ride responsibly.

Teocali was pretty, but feel like 6 miles up uphill for 2 miles of downhill.
Hikers on Doctor Park? I've ridden that trail a dozen times and I've never seen a single hiker out there. Strange.

And Teocalli is a must-ride. Sure, the last 1.5 miles of the climb is BRUTAL... but the five mile downhill is one of the best anywhere. I still can't decide if Teo or Doctor's is my favorite descent in the area.

I definitely agree with 401. Sure, it's iconic and it gets all the hype, but it deserves it. The trail isn't the most technical, but it's fast and fun and absolutely beautiful.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hikers on Doctor Park? I've ridden that trail a dozen times and I've never seen a single hiker out there. Strange.
Yeah there were quite a few of them and they started appearing pretty high up. I was surprised until I saw the trail rolls right into a giant campground that is packed most of the time it is open, but yeah, it really slowed my roll since there are a lot of blind corners on that trail.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
We'll be in Crested Butte for a wedding all next weekend. I'm over the hill in Carbondale - it been wet, but our "lower" elevation stuff is open. What's rideable in CB now? We'll hit Hartman rocks regardless....because its awesome, but would like to roll from the hotel in CB too. The mountain park can't be open now, right? I mean, it snowed 200 ft above us yesterday.

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
3,929 Posts
Teo, Dr P, 403/401 back to back kicked my butt. Strong riders in CB. Add Monarch and I was toast. Will have to try RenoFlagBear. Gunny is decent but I think CB is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I agree, never thought of it as a trail people would be hiking up, thankfully, because I was definitely hauling going down and yes, lots of blind conrners, but we did go end of first week of Sept, so guess everyone was back to work/school.

I definitely agree with 401. Sure, it's iconic and it gets all the hype, but it deserves it. The trail isn't the most technical, but it's fast and fun and absolutely beautiful.
Coming from sea level, it definitely ain't easy, but if you're bringing some decent fitness and years of riding ingrained in the muscles, it ain't that bad. We did 6 hours the first day, managed 25 miles - rode from the B&B in upper CB village up to 401 via a lunch stop at Emerald Lake, that killed because we did not take enough food. Next day we climbed up from the camp ground to DP and down, nice 5 hours out, 20 miles. Next day the guys went into the bike park and I lost them in there for the day, couldn't get them out for any pedaling after that :D
I agree with everyone above, all incredible rides. Where are you coming from? Sea level? You'll be huffing and puffing for sure.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Don't forget Baxter Gulch to Carbon to Green Lake...awesome in town ride...pretty hearty climb up Baxter...2000+ feet over just over 5 miles...but it feels like Backcountry...few people...total climb will be around 3000' but you can add more. Lots of options.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.