Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading to Curt Gowdy this weekend to preview the Gowdy Grinder course. Thinking about making a quick stop to Buffalo Creek on our way home. Looking for suggestions for a first timer. Thinking I'll only have a few hours to play there.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
543>Shinglemill>CT>Gashouse>Charlie's Cutoff>(Raspberry/BJ, if you have time)>Sandy Wash>543.

Might be more than a few hours.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Rogbie's route is good, except I prefer a slightly different one now that Nice Kitty is in:

543 - Nice Kitty - Buffalo Burn - CO Trail - Morrison Creek - 543 - Baldy (or Gashouse, pretty similar climbs) - Charlie's - Raspberry/Blackjack - Sandy Wash.

Charlie's to Sandy Wash is a must-do downhill, one of the best in the state IMO.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions! So is it safe to assume that I should give myself like 4 hours?

·
a dad
2,919 Posts
4 hours is perfect for a good loop out there..

Do you like technical riding? If so, Raspberry Ridge/BlackJack is a must, otherwise skip it.

For me, a typical 3 hours ride is to start from the front side (Pine Valley ranch, saves 15 minutes of driving).. Climb Buck Gulch to Skipper, Right on Strawberry to Charlies.. (at this point decide if you want to do RR/Blackjack, if you do, go left do that loop and take homestead back to Strawberry and be done. BlackJack will take you awhile if you are a first timer). If you skip BlackJack, finish Charlies to Sandy Wash, Right on 543 to Baldy, climb that, and work your way over to Strawberry for the last decent.

https://www.frmbp.org/assets/images/2013_BC_Trail_Map_2661x2100_75.jpg

pretty good map that should help make sense of things...

·
Bollocks
868 Posts
Rogbie's route is good, except I prefer a slightly different one now that Nice Kitty is in:

543 - Nice Kitty - Buffalo Burn - CO Trail - Morrison Creek - 543 - Baldy (or Gashouse, pretty similar climbs) - Charlie's - Raspberry/Blackjack - Sandy Wash.

Charlie's to Sandy Wash is a must-do downhill, one of the best in the state IMO.
This is my preferred "loop" too [without that Blackjack nonsense!] but if you have a little extra time/legs, fore-go Morrison Creek and continue on the CO Trail to Tramway, then pick up 543... The only reason I suggest this is this section of the CO Trail really gives you an "out in the woods" feeling... Plus the I enjoy the ride down Tramway through the rocks...

The above route, including the extra CO Trail - Tramway section, typically takes me 2.5 - 3 hrs with stops.

·
Rocks belong
5,292 Posts
Black Jack and Raz Ridge is the reason to go to BC. Pretty much everything else is all very similar. Fast, smooth, kitty litter.
I'll be honest... Black Jack scares the piss outta me. I think I need to go with someone who's confident on it and watch their lines/flow.

·
Bollocks
868 Posts
Black Jack and Raz Ridge is the reason to go to BC. Pretty much everything else is all very similar. Fast, smooth, kitty litter.
Unfortunately, a number of features on Blackjack are WAAAAYYYYYY beyond my skill set! A lot of BC is as described, which is why I like to get out on the CO Trail in the woods... mix it up a bit.

I'll be honest... Black Jack scares the piss outta me. I think I need to go with someone who's confident on it and watch their lines/flow.
I rode it [alone] a couple days after it opened and I came away with the same opinion... maybe I'm a pussy?!

·
a dad
2,919 Posts
Unfortunately, a number of features on Blackjack are WAAAAYYYYYY beyond my skill set! A lot of BC is as described, which is why I like to get out on the CO Trail in the woods... mix it up a bit.

I rode it [alone] a couple days after it opened and I came away with the same opinion... maybe I'm a pussy?!
A couple of the features on BlackJack are intimidating, but once you do them, or see someone do them you realize they are well built and not that bad, but they certainly are not for the beginners...

·
Registered
8,626 Posts

So is it the kind of trail where you can choose to go around those crazy features, or do you end up having to do the walk of shame :)

·
Registered
8,626 Posts

Is Kitty litter through the burn like shinglemill, or are there trees on it? Is it more gradual than shinglemill?

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
543>Shinglemill>CT>Gashouse>Charlie's Cutoff>(Raspberry/BJ, if you have time)>Sandy Wash>543.
How long is that? Do you mean from CT around green mountain to ******* to Gashouse?

For the OP, i would consider some of these suggestions pretty damn hard. No one mentioned what I consider to be the basic classic BC ride which is shorter than a lot of these suggestions but still 14 miles!

543-Baldy-Charlies- (Throw in RR-BJ if you like)- Homestead-Sandy- 543

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Is Kitty litter through the burn like shinglemill, or are there trees on it? Is it more gradual than shinglemill?
The bottom is much shadier, and then it thins out as you climb higher. The first mile is on the steep side (comparable to the lower part of Strawberry Jack), but it flattens out significantly over the last few miles. It's a really easy, nice climb IMO.

·
Paste eater
3,718 Posts
BJ, has a lot of "barbie bypasses". Even there, some are still challenging but not as bad as most think. If you're capable of spending 4 hours on a bike, do your self a favor and challenge your self. It's really not that long of a trail and every thing else out there is upper intermediate (at best) on the tech scale. A good sh!t-fight fun. I know the number of grown men wearing matching spandex on FR trails may lead us to believe otherwise, but we're mountain bikers after all. :)

Outside of BJ, there is one spot on the CT that has a super fast DH. can't recall where. Somewhere way out West.

·
Bollocks
868 Posts
So is it the kind of trail where you can choose to go around those crazy features, or do you end up having to do the walk of shame :)
A little of both! I climbed down slot machine with my bike.... so there's a little shame in that I suppose!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
a dad
2,919 Posts
BJ, has a lot of "barbie bypasses". Even there, some are still challenging but not as bad as most think. If you're capable of spending 4 hours on a bike, do your self a favor and challenge your self. It's really not that long of a trail and every thing else out there is upper intermediate (at best) on the tech scale. A good sh!t-fight fun. I know the number of grown men wearing matching spandex on FR trails may lead us to believe otherwise, but we're mountain bikers after all. :)

Outside of BJ, there is one spot on the CT that has a super fast DH. can't recall where. Somewhere way out West.
The only thing upper intermediate about Buffalo Creek is that the climbs are long, except for BlackJack, there are very few technical pieces out there, sometimes you ride on rocks, but that doesn't make it technical.

It is certainly a pedalers delight out there, great for roadies trying to learn how to ride a mtn bike, thankfully they built BlackJack so that it becomes a place to ride once in awhile.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts