Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being off of the bike for the last 5 weeks going through radiation and chemo, I've been exposed to something far worse than cancer, TV commercials. How dumb can a commercial be? Just when I think I've seen the dumbest one out there, another one comes along and steals more IQ points from me. I just can't change the channel fast enough. But now I can ride again, so I can avoid some of the stupidity.

Any vonage commercial: I hate that freaking song.
That friggin AOL spam commercial, no need to say more.
T-mobile commercials. Bleck.
That one with the gnome, what the heck is that?
Holiday Inn express, express this middle finger which is extended.

Heard a commercial where the lady said the product starts cleaning before you even begin to wipe. I expected her to say it starts cleaning even before you buy it. Heck even before it's made, it begins cleaning your house.

Just what level of intelligence or inaminate objects do the ad people aim their ads at?

There are a few, very few TV shows I like to watch, and the number keeps getting smaller each year.

TV, the vast waste land. 100's of channels of waste land.

·
We want... a shrubbery!
550 Posts
Gnome... Travelocity--that was annoying!!! Haha I feel your pain man.

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts
Homer,

wishing a total and speedy recovery for you. vonage.......hate it so much it's become my theme song. At the top of a really rocky gnarly downhill, I love to start "singing" that obnoxous ditty with the chance I may become footage for their next stupid people commercial. Hope your back singing on your bike soon.-Fred

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Oh yeah?

Nothing is as bad as that xylophone (blink blank blonk blonk blink blank..) for that investment company, what was it Hartford? I flip the channel when it starts. AAAArgh

·
Registered
401 Posts
Homer Simpson said:
Being off of the bike for the last 5 weeks going through radiation and chemo, I've been exposed to something far worse than cancer, TV commercials. How dumb can a commercial be? Just when I think I've seen the dumbest one out there, another one comes along and steals more IQ points from me. I just can't change the channel fast enough. But now I can ride again, so I can avoid some of the stupidity.

Just what level of intelligence or inaminate objects do the ad people aim their ads at?

There are a few, very few TV shows I like to watch, and the number keeps getting smaller each year.

TV, the vast waste land. 100's of channels of waste land.
RIGHT ON BRO! Thanks for the chuckles. "100's of channels of waste land" and almost nothing on bikes!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Good stuff homer,
Glad to hear your back on the saddle.
What tv? I watch sports only,everything else is useless garbage.
If you were watching tv in the middle of the day,"i'm sure you were"then you were really exposed to sewage.

·
ever forward
196 Posts
No TV

Glad your chemo went well.

I agree 100%, TV sucks. I cancelled my satellite after the Stanley Cup Finals last year. With this season's strike I just kept it off. That's right, no TV, just NetFlix. I swear it raised my IQ 10-20%.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Amen, brother

arturo7 said:
Glad your chemo went well.

I agree 100%, TV sucks. I cancelled my satellite after the Stanley Cup Finals last year. With this season's strike I just kept it off. That's right, no TV, just NetFlix. I swear it raised my IQ 10-20%.
I have been without cable and/or satellite for more than seven years, and as a result get 4 channels of unreliable reception. I watch one, maybe two t.v. shows a week. and the occassional football/bastketball/baseball game. When I visit family, cable and satellite is all commercials. Netflix is the best deal going....without t.v., you easily get your money's worth...

I gotta agree on the Gnome commercial. Those ad execs should burn in hell. Notice what its accomplished, though - we all know the commercial, and we all know what they're selling. Old Navy works the "annoying" principal as well. One of my least favorites from MNF was the Coors lite commercials - "Coldest Tasting Beer!" How does a beer taste cold? And what difference does it make how it was shipped, when its been sitting on the floor of the grocery store for a week?!?

Hang in there, Homer. My dad just finished chemo and was complaining about the same thing. Of course, he went so far as to write his Congressman.... :rolleyes:

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, US TV is not any worst/better than mexican TV (or from whihcever country for what it matters).

This would sound rough but I used to think people is smarter than they really are. When I started working I learnt that people has some "limited reasoning span".

It's amazing how ignorant and mindly vulnerable the gross of population is... everywhere worldwide!

I pay for a crappy but cheapo cable. It had the Discovery Channel and the other channel I watched was the Fox Sports (LA) as they broadcast F1 Championship. Two weeks ago the only intelligent-people-friendly channel (read Discovery) was removed to put in the TNT !!!! WTF??????!!!!!!

I'm not renewing my subscription.

Homer... You da man!!! Keep us updated on how your recovery goes!

·
here today
5,926 Posts
No TV - 12+ years going... and my girls get enough at the grandparents - it is amazing what you can do away from the stupid box

Of course in lots of coversations with friends I just put this blank face and wonder what are they talking about? Then I talk about crank brothers - same blank face on them ...

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You know it amazing, when I was growing up, we had 4 channels- Awful Broadcasting Company, Never Broadcasting Cycling, and Crappy Broadcasting System. And Public TV. Pretty good shows in 60's and some of the 70's. Now, how many channels can we actually get on a TV? And I can still only watch one channel at a time. I want a SS TV.

And people wonder why Americans are so freakin FAT!!! Everybody wants to watch sports instead of participating in sports. They want to blame McDonalds for people being fat, but the TV is the real problem. "Hey, I'll sit here eating fat and drinking sugar till I explode or have arteries harder than the armor on a M1 Abrams tank."

I wonder if the Discovery Channel keep sponsoring a cycling team now that Lance A has announced retirement? Maybe Lance will take up mountain bike racing.

Less TV and more cycling, or more cycling coverage, especially mountain bike stuff.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Actually, what the people making comercials aim is at getting you remember their product, not like their footage.

I think TV is really making us think less. It just continually tells us buy this, contract this service, this is what you should like. This are the girls that are good looking, this is how you should look/act like. YUK!

When I feel stupid I turn on the TV. Anytime else, I ride or go to work or study, so I don't see TV often.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.