Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
a.k.a. BicycleKicks
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be adding Sandy Eggo to my list of spectacular riding conquests in early Feb (if I still have this job by then) and want to plan ahead for 2 days of riding. What I have in mind is something in the 25-40 mile range with spectacular views and beautiful scenery while avoiding fuzzy animals with big claws and sharp teeth for day 1, and something in the 15-25 mile range with spectacular views and beautiful scenery while avoiding fuzzy animals with big claws and sharp teeth for day 2.

I've done some searching on the forum, Mtn Bike Bill or whatever, and have some head start on this I guess, but it's not so easy to choose. I could use some good suggestions from locals.

I'll be staying downtown for a few days midweek, but would like to move out to a "destination" for the weekend and find a fancy condo or hotel (I always find a sweet deal though) where I can access some killer riding. Any suggestions?

Last year one of my best biz trips was to Reno NV... I went early and spent the weekend at Northstar where I had access to all kinds of awesome riding... and got a killer condo deal. Another one of my best biz trips was to SLC UT... I stopped there for the weekend and found a crazy condo deal at Deer Valley for less than the Hole-a-day Inn Express down by the highway... go figure (http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=4760732#poststop). My point is, I'd like to find a destination like that near Sandy Eggo if possible... accommodations and riding all in one.

Oh, one last thing... is early Feb the monsoon season there? What's the risk of being rained out?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

·
BMF
593 Posts
Your two goals - riding the best epics, and staying in a destination resort at the trailhead, are somewhat mutually exclusive in San Diego. For the riding, look at Tour de Noble and Cuyamaca to Noble on MTB Bill's site. Having done these rides, I would modify the Cuyamaca to Noble by heading all the way to the bottom of Noble, back up Pine Creek Road to Indian Creek and then back up Deer Park Trail and down East Mesa to where you started. I think Bill's route only bags the top of Noble.

You could get some rain/snow up in the mtns that time of year.

·
Who's riding today?
1,442 Posts
40hills said:
I'll be adding Sandy Eggo to my list of spectacular riding conquests in early Feb (if I still have this job by then) and want to plan ahead for 2 days of riding. What I have in mind is something in the 25-40 mile range with spectacular views and beautiful scenery while avoiding fuzzy animals with big claws and sharp teeth for day 1, and something in the 15-25 mile range with spectacular views and beautiful scenery while avoiding fuzzy animals with big claws and sharp teeth for day 2.

I've done some searching on the forum, Mtn Bike Bill or whatever, and have some head start on this I guess, but it's not so easy to choose. I could use some good suggestions from locals.

I'll be staying downtown for a few days midweek, but would like to move out to a "destination" for the weekend and find a fancy condo or hotel (I always find a sweet deal though) where I can access some killer riding. Any suggestions?

Last year one of my best biz trips was to Reno NV... I went early and spent the weekend at Northstar where I had access to all kinds of awesome riding... and got a killer condo deal. Another one of my best biz trips was to SLC UT... I stopped there for the weekend and found a crazy condo deal at Deer Valley for less than the Hole-a-day Inn Express down by the highway... go figure (http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=4760732#poststop). My point is, I'd like to find a destination like that near Sandy Eggo if possible... accommodations and riding all in one.

Oh, one last thing... is early Feb the monsoon season there? What's the risk of being rained out?

Thanks! :thumbsup:
1) February COULD be one of our wettest months. Wet riding here just doesn't happen with our STICKY clay mud.
2) Noble Cuyamaca Empire COULD BE under a sheet of snow by then. Our losocal weather is just not predictable.

WHY February, get out here in April, the hills green up and all the rides become epic as the trails dry. If you must do this trip in Feb, then you really have to wait until 10 days ahead to get a grasp of the pending weather and past moisture levels. There are some desert rides, some "uinpublished" due to certain restrictions, that run on DG, drian well and are quite fun. Desert riding is only senseable from Nov thru April, then it's too hot to ride!

April, and I ain't fool'n! Not even horse'n around!:p

·
Registered
47 Posts
The Epics with the mileage you seek are Tour de Noble, Cuyamaca to Noble, and I believe some rides in the Otay area ( I haven't done them but I read posts of some pretty significant mileage and elevation).

If you are going to drive to Noble from downtown san Diego then why not also try driving to Orange County, southern end and riding San juan?

The fuzzy creatures with claws are just part of the landscape here, it doesn't matter where you rde except maybe Balboa park. but the risk is very low.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ride from the bike shop on Ramona to the top of Black mountain. Enough climbing to work you over and finish going up pamo valley road.. About 27 miles round trip. around 3500 ft climbing

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well. if you are short on time, i would suggest Cowles mountain. Ride from Barker way up to the top, then on the way down take the trail down to Big rock into santee. I think that is a great ride, and it is close to everything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.