Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this is not bike related, but it is at the same time:
What'r y'all listenin' ta?

My favorites: Opeth, Spin Doctors, Real (not candy pop) Country, Classical, Hindustani, and a whole assortment of others.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
steely steed said:

My favorites: Opeth, Spin Doctors, Real (not candy pop) Country, Classical, Hindustani, and a whole assortment of others.
Afro-Beat! anything from Fela Kuti, Tony Allen, Antibalas, Manu Dibango, Hugh Masekela basically any funky 70's african music or similar. Imagine James Brown trippin on acid while visiting the Motherland!!!!

Hip-Hop! anything from Madlib, Lootpack, Little Brother/Foreign Exchange, De La Soul, Mos Def, etc.....

Reggae! anything from late 70's early 80's besides Peter Tosh Bob Marley and all the usual suspects ive heard that stuff too much. And if you don't know reggae you may be surprised that the usual suspects only comprises maybe 5% of all the good reggae. I really like anything backed by the Roots Radics and mixed by Scientist.

Funk! oh man just getting into this stuff, The Poets of Rhythm, LA Carnival, Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings, Lee Fields, Connie Price and the Keystones the list goes on & on & on

Besides a bike nerd im also a music whore!!!! And what can possibly beat a nice bike ride with your iPod set to random play?

Nothing!!!

Will

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Elevation12 said:
My no1: Portishead Roseland Live NYC

Runner up: Ben Folds Five Tribute to Reinhold Messner
What?? Another BFF fan!! Cool!

I love that album and his first solo album "Rockin' the Suburbs" a lot.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
steely steed said:

I always like the OT threads.
I'm a bit all over the place and used to be a certifiable music whore who should have been banned from Ameoba for my own good.

I am usually going through a phase but my core music tends to be pretty consistent. Here go a few of my favorites

Clash
Fugazi
Drive Like Jehu / Hot Snakes
Hendrix
Public Enemy
Pavement
Otis Redding
Pixies
MC5
DJ Shadow / UNKLE
Broadcast
Murder City Devils / Pretty Girls Make Graves
Stooges

and the best of all.....The Fendermen.

So was this inspired by the Velonews link to the contents of W's ipod?

cheers

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Boy named SSue said:
I'm a bit all over the place and used to be a certifiable music whore who should have been banned from Ameoba for my own good.

I am usually going through a phase but my core music tends to be pretty consistent. Here go a few of my favorites

Clash
Fugazi
Hendrix
Public Enemy
Pavement
Otis Redding
Pixies
MC5
DJ Shadow / UNKLE
Broadcast
Stooges

cheers
man Amoeba is very dangerous indeed ive spent hours and hours there, dont tell my wife how much money ive spent!!!!!! The only positive is their 7 day 75% trade in credit policy, saved me lots of money and anger from buying crappy music.

will

·
Registered
329 Posts
Back on topic

I won't bore anyone (or use up tons of bandwidth) with my various tastes, but to bring that back on topic, has anyone ever heard of Luka Bloom? He's got a record called "The Acoustic Motorbike" that is inspired by, as the name would imply, bicycles.

There is also a band from New Zealand called Bike. Bike's claim to fame is that it rose from the ashes of the seminal band Straightjacket Fits. if you don't know that band, run, RUN! to the record store.

·
Registered
676 Posts
GonaSovereign said:
I won't bore anyone (or use up tons of bandwidth) with my various tastes, but to bring that back on topic, has anyone ever heard of Luka Bloom?
On Luka Bloom: Do have his 'Turf' album. Great artist.

Also face that there is so many I like; that's why I picked two fave's. Like the topic.

·
artistic...
7,634 Posts
buena vista social club

cuban music is the best! soulfull and sophisticated plus you've got ry cooder slide guitar all over the album.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Too much to list...

With one of them new-fangled 40gb iPod things filled almost to the brim, I just do the shuffle. There's just too much dang good music out there.

But if stranded on a deserted isle, here's my choices, in no particular order and an album listed only if it's the one I want.

David Bowie
The Clash
Miles Davis
Patti Smith
Led Zeppelin
Muddy Waters
X
Otis Redding
Tom Waits
Jimi Hendrix
Johnny Cash
Loretta Lynn - Van Lear Rose - what a fabulous album

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
ssmike said:
With one of them new-fangled 40gb iPod things filled almost to the brim, I just do the shuffle. There's just too much dang good music out there.

But if stranded on a deserted isle, here's my choices, in no particular order and an album listed only if it's the one I want.

David Bowie
The Clash
Miles Davis
Patti Smith
Led Zeppelin
Muddy Waters
X
Otis Redding
Tom Waits
Jimi Hendrix
Johnny Cash
Wow, with the exception of Loretta Lynn, i have all of those crowding my 40gig. Weird. Is that the one produced by Jack White? I've heard nothing but good things about it.

·
resident crackpot
483 Posts
ssmike said:

David Bowie
The Clash
Miles Davis
Patti Smith
Led Zeppelin
Muddy Waters
X
Otis Redding
Tom Waits
Jimi Hendrix
Johnny Cash
Johnny Cash...wow! I haven't listened to anything by him for a very long time. Good stuff.

My taste differs quite a bit from the 'norm' here...
All of Metallica's stuff, particularly from 'Master of Puppets' and 'And Justice For All'
Soundgarden
Audioslave
RAGE Against the Machine
NIN
AC/DC is very invigorating...even though I don't tell many people about that one.
Scorpions...old stuff
Saliva
Filter
Queensryche
Creed
Blur, but only Track No. 2
Incubus
That's mostly what I listen to when I do listen. I generally don't have a stereo on when I do anything, and I don't have one of the new, whiz-bang i-Pod thingys. Don't really see the need to have one, personally. I have ridden a couple of times while listening to a CD, but didn't really care for it much.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nope

Boy named SSue said:

Clash
Fugazi
Hendrix
Public Enemy
Pavement
Otis Redding
Pixies
MC5
DJ Shadow / UNKLE
Broadcast
Stooges

cheers
Nope, just love music meself. That's all.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
loonyOne said:
Johnny Cash...wow! I haven't listened to anything by him for a very long time. Good stuff.

My taste differs quite a bit from the 'norm' here...
All of Metallica's stuff, particularly from 'Master of Puppets' and 'And Justice For All'
Soundgarden
Audioslave
RAGE Against the Machine
NIN
AC/DC is very invigorating...even though I don't tell many people about that one.
Scorpions...old stuff
Saliva
Filter
Queensryche
Creed
Blur, but only Track No. 2
Incubus
That's mostly what I listen to when I do listen. I generally don't have a stereo on when I do anything, and I don't have one of the new, whiz-bang i-Pod thingys. Don't really see the need to have one, personally. I have ridden a couple of times while listening to a CD, but didn't really care for it much.
the need for an ipod is when you listen to a cd riding offroad i...t........ t ....t......e....n....d.....s.........t....t..o....s.............s.....k.....i......p......p.......p...

an iPod has 30 minute skip prevention so it basically wont skip ever unless you listen to a really really long song. So I consider it awesome plus I never have to carry cd's and yet get to listen to anything in my musical library, the wired remote is sheer genius as well stop play vol up or down plus a lock out!!!! if ya can afford it its worth it, may I suggest an ipod shuffle it would be the best 99bucks you would ever spend, (well maybe)

Will

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Old Time

The Skillet Lickers
Seven Foot Dilly and the Dill Pickles
The Blueridge Highballers
Uncle Dave Macon
Bob Wills and theTexas Playboys
etc.

Well, when I am playing music that is what I listen to anyway. When I am in the truck driving I listen to XM Radio and browse heavily amongst the Fred, Ethel and Lucy stations with some The Joint and alot of the others. Variety is the spice of life. Even listened to a baseball game on the way back from D last nite. Today I found a cassette tape of some Firesign theater and listened to some of that while I was working on a project upstairs.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Boy named SSue said:
Wow, with the exception of Loretta Lynn, i have all of those crowding my 40gig. Weird. Is that the one produced by Jack White? I've heard nothing but good things about it.
Yep, that's the one and if you like music, you owe it to yourself to pick it up. Absolutlely incredible that a 70 year old is singing those songs with such conviction. The iPod / iTunes keeps track of the number of times you place a selection. The songs from Van Lear Rose top out all 8,000 songs. The wife and I couldn't stop playing it when it first came out. The song Portland, Oregon, is just so cool. #2 played is the Immigrant Song (because my 9 year old loves Zeppelin) followed by Johnny Cash's cover of NIN Hurt.

Another cover that absolutely rocks is Reverend Horton Heat's cover of the JR Cash Folsom Prison Blues.

You know, I could live without bikes, but I couldn't live without music. .

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Il Barbiere di Siviglia

I can't believe I left this one off. Every self-respecting bike snob must have a copy of The Barber of Seville in their collection. But not just any performance. It has to be the one with Maria Callas - man can that lady sing opera!

·
desert dweller
Ventana El Ciclon
1,644 Posts
Dug my player out of pack

U2 - several including a cover by Prodigy (I think)
Beetles - Come together
Styx - Mr Roboto
Queen - Bicycle
Oingo Boingo - Dead Mans Party
REM - Loosing my Religion
Tones on Tale -- Go
The Cult - lots of old stuff like Firewoman, Eddie etc
The Smiths -- lots
The Clash -- London Calling
Steppenwolf -- Magic Carpet Ride (remix by ?)
and various other jazz

It's been over a year since I dug this thing out. That is my Gooseberry Mesa road trip music.

mc ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.