Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
sometimes on smooth singletrack in places where the trails aren't particularly busy I'll bring some tunes, but not often. I'm pretty much a music freak and listen to music 24/7, but it can kind of be annoying while riding. it's not really distracting in the sense that you can't ride as well, for me it's more that I'd rather just listen to the sounds of riding...it's a kind of music in itself...no, I'm not a hippie

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
There have been previous posts on this topic. I think that about 1/2 the responses were of the ilk that it is stupid to ride while listening to music. Well, I do it and have never been harmed or harmed anyone else. I use an iriver with an armband. I see lots of people with the Rio (sports version) too.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
only

only when climbing big wide deserted fire roads. On twisty singletrack it's too dangerous. I've avoided many accidents because I heard horses or hikers around the next corner.

But for safe climbs, good music can make a hard climb much easier.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
I tried it a couple times, and I just can't get into the groove of it. Half the reason I ride is I enjoy the peace and quiet. When I tried riding with music, I found myself distracted.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Never on the trails. You can't hear what's coming around the corner, if someone is behind you or maybe if someone was calling for help because they fell and seriously hurt themselves.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Not entirely true. When I did it, I had the music down so low, I could still hear everything else around me.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Depends on the terrain conditions

Like one of the other posters already said, there are plenty of past threads on this topic and the opinions are evenly split. I don't consider myself to be a big risk-taker, nor overly conservative... this boils down to a judgement call based on the situation. Personally, I will have tunes going any time that I consider the situation to be safe (which is most of the time where I ride). Depending on your tastes, some music can really pump you up and increase your output... if you've tried skiing with tunes, it's essentially the same feeling. Besides, most "open" headphones allow outside noises to get through so you're not totally deaf. I use a Sony sports radio wrapped around my handlebars and an iPod clipped to the back (right side) of my shorts (headphone cord inside my shirt). I don't like cords flying around and don't like stuff hanging off my arms when riding.

The iPod is my wife's - got her a mini for our anniversary... it works great! about 4-5 hours of play time, excellent sound quality and light/small form-factor. Another key feature is the navigation "wheel" - you can reach back and adjust volume, skip tracks, puase, etc. without taking your eyes off the road/trail. One thing I was worried about before we got it was the possibility of "skipping"... no worries there... it's never had the slightest hint of a problem associated with movement (I run with it too).

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sorry, wasn't flaming...

just wanted to see about any ideas that y'all had on the smubject.
got my rio karma (what a lame name for such a superior DMP) yesterday and want to take it out- glad to hear the ipod mini (another hard drive based player) doesnt skip, i was slightly worried about that.

most of the trails i ride (bear park, rose cnyn, mission trails) are not so tight /tight wound that you really have to hear others coming, although i will have to see how it goes.

and yes, i know there are times i will just leave it in my car and risk getting it stolen just to enjoy the quiet time alone...

·
Registered
15 Posts
As others have said it depends on trial conditions, but I ride with an ipod on my arm usually with just one ear bud in and with the chord underneath my shirt. It has a 12 hour battery, never skips and has my entire music collection on it. Not to mention other handy info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts