Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been making all of my videos with music from my CD collection, for the most part, and it works for me. I notice that some of you have, what sounds to me like, original non-copyright "generic" (for lack of a better word) music. I was wondering where you get that music and what is the reason for using that music style? Is it a "bad" thing using mainstream music? Just curious what you guys that have been doing this for a while think on this subject.:rockon:

·
since 4/10/2009
34,375 Posts
I have had YouTube delete the audio track from a video where I added a song that I had from a cd. They didn't like that.

I dig through one of the websites that lists Creative Commons licensed music (most of it you're allowed to make derivative works, like use it as an audio track in a video) for suitable tunes. It's a bit tougher doing it this way than using popular stuff you know, but nobody will bust you for it.

http://creativecommons.org/ will point you to a few sites you can search for free tunes. Some of the music you find here is quite good.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Best way to get around the Youtube automated audio removal is to slow down or speed up the music by 5-10% in your editor. Youtube won't be able to recognize it and most people will never notice the difference in the music.

Ohh and do it first because it will of course throw off any edits to the music.

·
Registered
576 Posts
YouTube also gives you a lot of stuff that is allowed. Several of my videos will play just fine in this country, but not in a few others, like Germany for some reason having to do with copyright laws.... You also arent going to get sued over content use unless you're makng money on it. I also have had my audio track deleted. So I replaced it wIth some music by a friend of mine. Who is now working on a long term project with me, and writing some original tracks for my video.

·
Banned
87 Posts
ronbo613 said:
Wrong. You cannot use copyrighted material in any public setting.
Wrong. You can use copyrighted music in public settings.

I have been doing just that for 13+ years.

Personal use does not fall under acceptable use but in this arena you are flying way, way under the rights holders' radar.

Heck, there are a bunch of commercial DVDs that I know of that even use copyrighted music without permission.

·
Banned
87 Posts
ronbo613 said:
You don't know what you are talking about, you just want to argue.
Huh?

I know exactly what I'm writing about.

I've exercised my own copyright rights relating to my videos and photos numerous times (with Yahoo, AOL, Google video and numerous websites).

I understand what constitutes fair use very well.

I also know that you can use copyrighted music in a public setting, like in videos hosted on your own website. What I think you're struggling with is you think that I am claiming that that use is fair use.

I'm not.

Before you tell someone that they don't know what they're talking about you should get your facts straight.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, it IS legal to post videos with copyrighted music in a public setting such as... YouTube... and then in here in this forum? I'm still a little fuzzy. I think it actually helps the author sell downloads of their songs. I have purchased several songs after hearing them on a mtb video.
My original question though, was more about what the more professional videographers use and why. I have read about people getting sick of the pov camera video's (rather than setting up elaborate cable cams and ride by shots) , is there the same prejudice against video's with more popular music as well.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Technically its more illegal than legal to just grab copyrighted music and use it for a video you post on Youtube. It is CLEARLY illegal if you make any compensation for the video using someone's copyrighted music.

Where the law gets fuzzy if you were to just put that video together and show it to friends at home it would probably fall under the fair use law...... now comes the debate on how is that any different than you doing that online with the public especially if you don't collect any compensation for it???

So is it clearly illegal? Nobody really knows...... and you are correct, many artists are finding that people using their music on youtube video's is making them more money than trying to sue regular old people enjoying and sharing their art...

·
Registered
786 Posts
I write and record my own. I'm a home-hobbyist musician with a nice little studio setup.

I'd like to start doing it for others (probably for free to start).

Send me a message if interested.

·
Hermit
990 Posts
Check out unsignedbandweb.com. There's some REALLY good music on there, from many genres. Lots of it is uncopyrighted, but still a quick email to the band usually results in permission to use songs or parts of songs for video music. Most of these guys are struggling for exposure and are glad to have their music used as long as you credit them at the end of the video.

Steve Z

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.