Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
No known cure
4,259 Posts
Does anyone know if it's feasible to strip a steel bike of its paint and have it chromed? There a re a few automotive and industrial platers in town but I understand they will apply a coat far too thick for a bike.

I am talking about taking "raw" one or two steps further and making it MIRROR finish. Maybe with oil slick everything......

I am feeling nostalgic for my childhood BMX bike (which was chrome)
I've researched this. All the places that do chrome do other stuff like bumpers and motorcycle stuff and don't specialize in bikes. Cycle Art used to do nickle then chrome but not any longer. I was told buffing the frame was a dangerous task, especially for my double top tube cruiser. I saw an episode of Counting Cars where chrome paint was sprayed on a bumper and result was the same as a dipped frame. I want just the nickle plating and thankfully there's a ton of shops in Southern California and a huge bike scene outside of mountain and road bikes.

·
Registered
I secretly ride 12spd
2,075 Posts
Unpopular opinion: way overdoing it with "accents" is way worse then murdering something out. Sorry, but your mismatched bright yellow spoke nipples, stem, pedals, grips, chainring, hubs and fork decals are just straight up tacky af. It's always like 10 different shades of the same crappy color.

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
I get where the OP is coming from, but try to think of the all-black look as a starting point. I too my matte black/raw Enduro and incorporated obvious (and not so obvious) camo touches.

That's cool, but it would be hard for me to decide if that should be ridden with black shoes and camo shoelaces, or camo shoes with black shoelaces???? 😏

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
If given the choice...I'd pretty much always take the black bike. Really not into bright paint jobs that seem to come on most bikes these days. Black frames are easier to touch up too. A lot of the painted gloss frames have thick paint...when it does get a chip...it can come off as a deep chunk. If my next bike is aluminum...the frame would be raw.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Black on black is a safe choice. Not much to go wrong in terms of matching shades and easy to sell to insecure riders who are afraid their masculinity is threatened by vibrant colors. It can look pretty classy too, but see it often enough it can become boring. Some people don't care about looks at all, so plain black does the job just fine. As mentioned above, there are also riders that would rather their significant others don't notice the previous bike has been replaced. A stealth colorway facilitates this. Raw carbon frames with the lay up showing were always considered sexy, and may end up a few grams lighter than their painted counterparts.

Some brands offer two colorways per model, one loud and another more understated. The second option may be black, gray, raw, or some "earth" color like sand/brown/olive. Offering two options is a good solution that caters to the majority of potential buyers.

Lately there are plenty of raw alu options which I like, but judging by their popularity this may get boring soon too.

Personally I see bikes as "objects of happiness" so tend to prefer vibrant colors. I prefer a single frame color though as the more you add the higher the chances of creating something less appealing.

·
Registered
946 Posts
My fav bike right now is my XXL Hightower (2019) in Blue. Barring any unfortunate calamity happening to that bike I will ride it and get another in 2023. If it is only available in black at that time I will look at another brand. I've had WAAAAY too many black bikes and they look uninspiring to me anymore. Bleh! Brown either.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Does anyone know if it's feasible to strip a steel bike of its paint and have it chromed? There a re a few automotive and industrial platers in town but I understand they will apply a coat far too thick for a bike.

I am talking about taking "raw" one or two steps further and making it MIRROR finish. Maybe with oil slick everything......

I am feeling nostalgic for my childhood BMX bike (which was chrome)
You should take it to a powder coating service in your area and and have them remove it for you vs the elbow grease required to strip off the pain. Unless you don't value your free time, it's a pain in the ass to get all the old paint off. Not that it can't be done but that stripper stuff is nasty! Add to that all the sand paper and again most important your free time, not worth it to me. Once they strip it you can polish it up clear coat yourself.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
One of my bikes is black because it has no paint. Raw carbon is black. The other bike also doesn't have any paint because it is aluminum and has a black anodize finish. So nothing wrong with black, plus it is the lightest finish there is.

·
Uncle
4,294 Posts
... the next bike has a custom "Barbie Sparkle Super Dust" pink finish. Fantastic color and have never seen anything comparable to it on the trails. I purposely selected a color that I knew few others would have.
I opted for "Cascade Peach" for a custom frame, and after it was coated the builder said, "It's, umm... unique." I have grander ideas now about a detailed custom finish I'd like to see brought to fruition at some point. But I think I'll wait until I can get all of the components in polished alloy finish. I had a set of CR18 rims laced with silver spokes and nipples, to classic Hope XC hubs. They weren't great performers, but man they were a good looking set of wheels.

Full polish alloy is the new murdered out.

61 - 80 of 95 Posts