Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts

This is my newest and it almost looks blacked out, but it’s not...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts

This is my newest and it almost looks blacked out, but it’s not...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Specialized Tarmac SL7 that's like that. Looks black, but in the sun, it's a deep red. Looks sweet. Yours looks like a blue/green/teal?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Raw is always best, raw carbon or raw alloy. You can tell the brand trusts its workmanship if they are willing to do that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm seeing more new bikes in almost-black color schemes, or black+dark colors. I guess it's a reaction to the bright neons of a few years ago. Looks better than the true blacks, I think.

The part that looks a little pinkish actually brightens up really nicely in the sunshine, FWIW...

·
No known cure
4,192 Posts
I always go with custom powder and at least on the front triangle. I'll do that to this one too as it's the most boring looking bike I've owned. Rides great though.

·
monster member
980 Posts
I suspect people don't really have a choice as to what they like. Some people's eyes like color and some like more muted I guess. I get the murdered-out look when it was unusual, like OP said, but color just sets things off so much better. Even if you like understated, a deep purple, deep blue, or rootbeer, ... so many other choices. Btw- I completely hate the satin or flat craze. I get that some people's eyes might like gray or black more than color, but does anyone really like the dull look? I just don't get that. My new mtb is dull gray with everything else black, and I think it's totally lame but didn't have any other good color choices. I love my road bike that has Ferrari red frame and forks, with every single other part black. That looks good.

Back to OP- Hah, I also remember, specifically, in about 1994 that I thought black wheels were pretty cool and I wanted them. By 2005 or certainly by 2010, I felt they were played out. Now every minivan comes with black wheels. They just don't catch the light well, can't see any dish if there is any... etc.

I think the attached car looks better with alum versus however it would look with blacked out wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
I will always like black bikes, as a default choice, if nothing else. If someone gave me grief about my murdered out bike I would laugh at them (or just stand up to reveal the hot pink saddle)

Really digging the raw aesthetic which is becoming popular, a la Knolly, etc.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Does anyone know if it's feasible to strip a steel bike of its paint and have it chromed? There a re a few automotive and industrial platers in town but I understand they will apply a coat far too thick for a bike.

I am talking about taking "raw" one or two steps further and making it MIRROR finish. Maybe with oil slick everything......

I am feeling nostalgic for my childhood BMX bike (which was chrome)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I prefer black and other boring bikes. Can't stand all the flashy obnoxious bright crap that screams for attention. Though I do have red Ano bars on my otherwise blacked out Yeti (NO TURQUOISE...hideous!!!). I don't want people to look at my bikes and think they are worth what they are worth, and I don't want them to jump out to same ass looking to steal something. Same reason I don't have big obnoxious Enve decals on my wheels...peeled them off the second I got the bike home.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts