Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 95 Posts

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
38,147 Posts
I kinda like it, especially since the wife doesn't easily notice changing from one black framed bike to another. Right now I'm on the little brother of your Trance (Anthem Advanced, also black on black frame) so if you ever get tired of it... ;)
Yep, just keep one in the garage and one in the basement or another location so both aren’t next to each other as to tip her off on your underhanded scheme. ;)

Reactions: noapathy

·
Registered
68 Posts
I find it pretty funny that mainstream companies seem so intent on making their frames look like cheap open mold frames.

I have an open mold road bike I built for the fun of it and because I needed somewhere to put my older Campy gruppo. It is nice the frame now looks like a stealth high zoot bike instead of something I bought for $635 including shipping and Paypal fees.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,476 Posts
black is always a safe choice for manufacturers, I suppose.

I think all black is played out, but there's always a place for mostly black with a tasteful accent color somewhere.

but I do like some bold colors, though. not necessarily neons. gross. and not busy patterns or graphics. just solid colors.

·
CEO Product Failure
1,658 Posts
In 2012 at some random trail, another rider commented on my bike being "murdered out". Heard that comment "murdered out" for a few more months, then noticed all the bikes in most every LBS were "murdered out". Retired that bike and the next bike has a custom "Barbie Sparkle Super Dust" pink finish. Fantastic color and have never seen anything comparable to it on the trails. I purposely selected a color that I knew few others would have.

So yeah, murdered out is done IMO.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,404 Posts
Plus, the wife won't notice when you buy a new black bicycle. You can just say it's the same one you've always had.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I don't think I've ever made a bicycle related decision based on color.
I will pick brighter-colored tools if there's an option. Less likely to forget them if dropped trailside during a repair.

I mostly buy used, so I'm not picky about color. If I was buying new, I'd want something that looked cool to me... all bikes look cool to me, though, so I don't know if that matters.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,596 Posts
Yes, in my mind it has been played out for a while.

I have been building with silver spokes on all the bikes in the garage for about the last 5 years.

Reactions: stripes

·
Registered
12 Posts
Never thought I'd buy a bike with a black frame, but I am in the process. I've grown to appreciate matte black with a few gold accents. Operative word there is 'few'; it's easy to go overboard with accent colors. Sticking with gold Kashima-coated fork stanchions and a gold stem for now.

21 - 40 of 95 Posts