Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question -- are multitools generally effective for routine bike maintenance, or do you consider them to be "emergency only" type things that you only keep in your pack when out on the trail? I am curious if I should be considering purchasing hand tools for home, or if I will be able to use a multitool both on and off the trail.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Multitool for emergencies

I would recommend that you buy a set of regular tools for home maintenance and repairs, and keep the multitool in your camelbak or seatpak for trailside emergencies.

Bob

·
rbtm member
888 Posts
Multi tools are like those small spare tires that come with some cars and limit you to 35mph. They work but they're no substitute for the real thing. If I had to choose, I'd buy "real" tools first and just take a few of the important ones with me while riding. In fact, if I had to do things over again, I probably wouldn't even buy a multitool and just pack what I need.

·
Registered
309 Posts
While you can use a multi-tool to perform basic routine maintenance, it's not nearly as easy or convenient as full-size tools. I mean, can you imagine using your mini-pump every time you wanted to inflate your tires? Ugh! Granted, I've tore most of the major components off my bike and re-installed them with little more than a multi-tool, but the entire time, I was wishin for some specialized hand-tools (between swears, of course).

It can be done, but save yourself some aggrivation and get the proper tools you'll need.

Ross

·
Registered
702 Posts
tool

It's not right but I've used Topeak Alien to most allen wrench work and chain work.It's put together 5 bikes with no real signs of wear.What you have to have are things like cable cutters,cable housing cutters,bottom bracket tools,chain whip/cassette tool,big 8mm allen,etc.Yesterday I put DuraAce brakes on my friends carbon Trek road bike with the Alien.No problemo.BTW,about the easiest break I ever set-up.Never did one before either.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Multitools are for the trail.

At home I have a dedicated toolbox for bike maintenance.

Of course if all you do is adjust your brakes, tighten your stem, install a water cage, you can get by with a multitool.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.