Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently using an older Cateye GPS computer, it suits most of my needs however it's no longer supported by strava and the GPS seems to be getting a bit wonky.

I'd like to upgrade to something more modern. I don't use power meters or cadence, however I would be interested in trying heart rate monitors. I don't use live segments either. I need a fairly basic unit.

Are many folks using watches like a Garmin 235 or similar? I do some hiking and backcountry snowboarding and don't need it for that but I would use it. I am more concerned about having cycle functionality. Are the watches as good as a cycle computer? There is some deals on Suunto out there and the Polar stuff looks good too. What are folks running?

·
since 4/10/2009
34,601 Posts
I used a Garmin Forerunner 310XT triathlon watch on my mtb for years.

Dunno about the newer watches, but the smaller display meant for fewer data fields displayed, and the ones that were displayed were in smaller text.

In all honesty, the biggest reason I don't ride with it anymore is specific to that device. That device could only upload rides to the computer via ANT+. No bluetooth. No wifi. No physical data cable. ANT+ is super flaky for data transfer like that, which is why you don't see it on any other devices. I moved to an Edge 520, which was the most basic bike-specific device made at the time, that wasn't excessively basic for me.

It sounds to me like the Edge 130 would serve your uses well.

For mtb uses, I strongly recommend wheel sensors for each mtb if you care about reported distance. An accurate GPS-only distance measurement will ALWAYS display short (it will shortcut corners), and the gap gets bigger the twistier the trail is, and the more difficult the reception. Where I live, it's probably even a good idea if you ride road, since the Blue Ridge Parkway is a very popular roadie route and has lots of tunnels. The GPS drops out in them and might get wildly inaccurate just before that happens, and a wheel sensor keeps your reported distance straight.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not super critical about the mileage being perfect, a little variance is fine. I like to have a general idea. I also like to know elevation gain.

Wondering if there is any watches similar in capabilities to the 130.

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts
I used to use a Vivofit HR? I can't remember. But basically the base model Garmin step tracker with the optical HRM and GPS. It worked perfect if all you cared about is what you are describing with no mapping. Battery fully charged was good for about 6 hours I think. I replaced it with a Fenix and gave it to my GF.

It will connect with a HRM strap and cadence sensor, I think a speed sensor too, but never did a speed sensor.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,601 Posts
I'm not super critical about the mileage being perfect, a little variance is fine. I like to have a general idea. I also like to know elevation gain.

Wondering if there is any watches similar in capabilities to the 130.
10-25% short without a wheel sensor is not uncommon. Replaced the battery in my wife's wheel sensor today because her computer was reporting sometimes more than a mile less than mine on rides less than 10mi.

If you want even a halfway decent idea of elevation, you want a barometric altimeter. GPS-derived elevation is pretty horrendous and every file upload site I know throws it out and recalculates based on digital elevation models. But on the device, elevation will be less than worthless unless you have a barometric altimeter.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
I've been following these threads for a bit now, this 130 maybe what I want. Its a bummer it doesn't have navigation, but I guess I can do that w/my old phone. In the near future I will have more time to ride/explore.

Can you add multiple bikes to it? (sorry the mini-hijack OP)

·
Armature speller
Unit, Anthem, Stumpy, Secteur
4,588 Posts
I've been following these threads for a bit now, this 130 maybe what I want. Its a bummer it doesn't have navigation, but I guess I can do that w/my old phone. In the near future I will have more time to ride/explore.

It does the "sensor pool" type of thing.
It doesn't separate the bikes as such.
You just jump on a bike and go. It picks up the sensors it can see and is away. You can even put the cadence sensor off one bike and the speed sensor off another on a bike and go for a ride without issue.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
It does the "sensor pool" type of thing.
It doesn't separate the bikes as such.
You just jump on a bike and go. It picks up the sensors it can see and is away. You can even put the cadence sensor off one bike and the speed sensor off another on a bike and go for a ride without issue.
Thanks, the only thing I plan to use is a HRM - I guess I can update my bikes on Strava, I just like to keep track of each bike's mileage.

·
Cycologist
10,338 Posts

It does have navigation. I've been thinking about getting something and this might work for me.

·
Cycologist
10,338 Posts

·
since 4/10/2009
34,601 Posts
Is anyone using a watch? I want to be able to upload to Strava, but not lose any of the cycling features.
Why are you fixated on a watch?

I hate wearing crap on my wrists when I ride (my wrists swell as blood flow increases, and something snug on my wrist before the ride gets too tight later, and messing with watch straps is irritating). The "mounts" to put watches on handlebars mostly suck. The one nice thing about using the Forerunner 310XT is that I was able to get an adapter that allowed me to remove the band and mount it to the plain ol Garmin 1/4 turn mount on my stem. THAT worked well, but is not available for most watches. I'm not even sure if you can get it for newer tri watches.

But yes, some people do use watches now. They just haven't posted yet.

·
Armature speller
Unit, Anthem, Stumpy, Secteur
4,588 Posts
Is anyone using a watch? I want to be able to upload to Strava, but not lose any of the cycling features.
I use my Garmin 935 with cadence, HR, speed and sometimes power sensors.
Uploads to Garmin Connect and automatically from there to Strava.
I use a Garmin 25, 130 or 810 on the bars depending what I want to see during the ride/race. The more racey, the smaller and lighter the device I want on the bars.
The watch is only 43g on the wrist.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I'm using Polar v800 for years. MTB was never my primary sport (xc skiing is), so I never even wanted cycling specific computer. For mtb, I put my Polar to handlebar, so it's pretty much same as you would have "proper" cycling computer, except that Polar works better then any Garmin ever did ;) And when I go do something else (xc skiing, back country skiing, running...) I have same watch and same environment (Polar Flow) for those things.
Sure, v800 doesn't support ANT, but who cares about that. Unless you have some ancient sensors, everything at least remotely recent supports BT, so you are fine.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I use one of these, took a while to set up how I like it (my brain doesnt understand Garmin Menu trees), the only criticism I have is battery life could be better.
I use it solely for bike (mtb & road) and then on the trainer when Im in hotels.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/571520/pn/010-01769-01#
Do you use the Garmin speed sensor when you use it on the trainer? What is your typical battery life? I've been looking at the Instinct which is a ruggedize version of the Vivoactive. It has some different features and lacks some of the Vivo line.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.