Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

161 - 180 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, new to posting on the forum but have been reading product reviews on here for a while. I have had 2 of the new 12spd xt freehub mechanisms fail on me, and wanted to see if others have had the same experience. I built the hubs up to dt swiss xm481 rims with dt spokes as a solid set of trail/training wheels. I have had great success with shimano hubs in the past, so I saw no reason to spend more for a 350...

I'll start by saying the new design is completely different to the old system that has been around forever. Its similar to a dt, with 2 springs and separate freehub body that runs on cartidge bearings. The ratchet mechanism is self contained in the freehub body and is not user serviceable. the hub shell has cup and cone on either side. side note, the front hub is identical to the previous model.

The first failure happened within a couple weeks. I had the wheel off the bike, and it toppled over on the cassette side(hurts my soul to think about) and the cassette pulled the freehub out. At first I wasn't too concerned, thinking that they had finally copied dt swiss and made a tool free freehub. Then I realized that was not the case, as 2 small c-clips had popped out of place(one labeled DO NOT DISASSEMBLE) allowing the freehub mechanism to fall apart! I called shimano and explained what had happened. They were confused at how it fell apart, but walked me through how to reassemble it. After a few rides it started to creak like crazy(took me a couple weeks to figure out it was the hub), so I called shimano and they sent a whole new hub to my LBS under warranty.

I rebuilt the wheel with the new hub, and it worked flawlessly for 2 months. fast engagement, smooth bearings at a great price! really the goldilocks hub for 12spd IMO. Then it tried to lock on and turn into a fixie. I had just pedalled to the end of the driveway and started to coast up to a stop sign, when it made a god awful grinding sound that scared the sh*t out of me. I proceeded to lock the rear brake and slide to a stop. Upon taking it apart back at home, I found the toothed plastic spacer(think it is a tolerance thing) was completely chewed up. I think part of it must have gotten jammed in the ratchet mechanism. The two cartidge bearings in the freebody were also totally shot. I put every back together without the spacer, and while the freehub didn't lock on anymore, the horrible creaking was back.

Currently waiting on another warranty replacement, shimano maybe sending out an xtr hub. hopefully it doesn't break too.
I've now been through two Microspline setups on a reynolds hub. The first was set up by Fezzari before they shipped the bike to me. It failed within 3 weeks of daily riding. I warranteed it through a LBS in Tucson, waited 3 weeks, and got a new setup. It was good until yesterday. It failed during a climb and I walked 5 miles out of the trail. I will contact my LBS here in Southern Utah, hoping for a replacement, but I think after 40 years of riding Shimano.... I'm done. I have a 1988 Bridegstone with Deore on it (never a problem), and a 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper with XT on it (never a problem). I've had a hub problem with a 2019 hardtail plus bike with SLX, and now two problems with the XT on the Fezzari. Going to SRAM in the future

·
Registered
14 Posts
2 month old bike came with the Shimano 8110b hub. Had the dreaded creak when climbing. Took the service guide for greasing the splines to the lbs and it seems to have stopped. My only concern is that now my hub makes absolutely no noise at slow speeds(it used to until a few mph then go silent. Could this be due a heavy grease job by the lbs? It now will randomly make the normal hub sound.
For anyone who has Shimano replace the hub under warranty. Do they replace the entire hub and require the wheel to be rebuilt or do they just send a new freehub body?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is there a specific part number for the freehub only? Trying to find only the freehub but part searches come up with the entire hub. Does Shimano sell the xt freehub only or anyone know the specific part number. Searching for FH-8110b only gets me the the entire hub.

·
Magically Delicious
9,853 Posts
I do not know the Freehub P/N, but the FH-8110b is the complete hub P/N. I have been able in the past to obtain just the freehub.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts

The part number is FH-M8110. The 'M' is important, as far as their numbering goes. The freehub body assembly is Y3G198050.

The only reason that they ever sent an entire hub when I called them was when they didn't have small parts available almost immediately after they were released.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ok thank you. The reason I ask is maybe it’s easier to buy a 30 dollar part then deal with a warranty claim

·
Registered
4 Posts
One more case!

First of all, thanks to all the participants of this thread. I came here while searching for a solution on this matter, and the thread helped a lot!!!

My case. Merida One-Twenty 9.7000 (2020 model) with factory installed DEORE XT 148x12 (FH-M8110-B) rear hub. Started creaking after ~500 km of use and increased further.

I've just done what Shimano advised to nbb10, and the problem has been immediately solved. Let's see how it lasts.

I've summed up everything in a Youtube video (crediting this thread in the description for sure!), cause I couldn't find anything relevant there with "shimano XT hub creaking" search string. Hope it helps some new owners.

A bit of update on my case, posted a video here back in November. XT hub has started creaking after ~500 kms of riding. I've greased it a bit according to Shimano manual, and the problem was gone. Now it's ~1200 kms after the initial greasing, and the creaking was gradually coming back. Did a new inspection and regreased the hub. Let's see how it lasts this time!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a little follow up to my hub issue story. I bought a salsa blackthorn slx, got it last fall. Probably my 5th ride out the hub slipped a few times on me, and I'd get half a forward pedal stroke in without the hub engaging. Took it back to shop, they couldn't re-create the issue, and I got the bike back. 500km later and no issues with it. I ordered a spare slx hub which was cheaper than ordering just the free hub apparently, and that came in today. I was just checking it out, pulled it out of the box and noticed that the engagement was very precise and louder than my original hub. It took my silent original free hub off and put this new one on. Sure enough, it can be heard the whole time now so Shimano has made a change to this, I'm guessing based on past issues people have been having. The new hub assembly I received according to side of box is a FHM7130B 32H 157 12. The Freehub that's on it (the new design I'm assuming) has a part number of 201125009L 1NA SL1. This new free hub seems to have very quick engagement, I counted 26 clicks in 1/4 rotation, so that would put it at 104 per rotation, or 3.5 degrees. The old hub had 32 poe for one rotation, according to Shimano specs. The original free hub had a part number of 0800000093221542111B R 1. I don't have any rides on the new free hub yet and only bought it as a spare but when I found out it's actually different I decided to throw it on asap to try out. It's no longer silent as the previous one was. It's not i9 loud but it's got a bit of a high pitch buzz like I'm being chased by some bumblebees. It seems like Shimano disabled/redesigned the disengagement mechanism on the previous one so this one is engaged all the time. Fingers crossed Shimano has sorted this out and this will be a good hub now. Price is right and I like the ease of full free hub replacement if there is an issue.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a little follow up to my hub issue story. I bought a salsa blackthorn slx, got it last fall. Probably my 5th ride out the hub slipped a few times on me, and I'd get half a forward pedal stroke in without the hub engaging. Took it back to shop, they couldn't re-create the issue, and I got the bike back. 500km later and no issues with it. I ordered a spare slx hub which was cheaper than ordering just the free hub apparently, and that came in today. I was just checking it out, pulled it out of the box and noticed that the engagement was very precise and louder than my original hub. It took my silent original free hub off and put this new one on. Sure enough, it can be heard the whole time now so Shimano has made a change to this, I'm guessing based on past issues people have been having. The new hub assembly I received according to side of box is a FHM7130B 32H 157 12. The Freehub that's on it (the new design I'm assuming) has a part number of 201125009L 1NA SL1. This new free hub seems to have very quick engagement, I counted 26 clicks in 1/4 rotation, so that would put it at 104 per rotation, or 3.5 degrees. The old hub had 32 poe for one rotation, according to Shimano specs. The original free hub had a part number of 0800000093221542111B R 1. I don't have any rides on the new free hub yet and only bought it as a spare but when I found out it's actually different I decided to throw it on asap to try out. It's no longer silent as the previous one was. It's not i9 loud but it's got a bit of a high pitch buzz like I'm being chased by some bumblebees. It seems like Shimano disabled/redesigned the disengagement mechanism on the previous one so this one is engaged all the time. Fingers crossed Shimano has sorted this out and this will be a good hub now. Price is right and I like the ease of full free hub replacement if there is an issue.

·
Registered
26 Posts
A bit of update on my case, posted a video here back in November. XT hub has started creaking after ~500 kms of riding. I've greased it a bit according to Shimano manual, and the problem was gone. Now it's ~1200 kms after the initial greasing, and the creaking was gradually coming back. Did a new inspection and regreased the hub. Let's see how it lasts this time!

Thanks so much for your video by the way. It made the swap out I just did for my new free hub super easy and straightforward since I followed your instructions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks so much for your video by the way. It made the swap out I just did for my new free hub super easy and straightforward since I followed your instructions.
You're welcome! Glad it has helped. Your post has made me curious to check my free hub part (or maybe serial?) number. It looks like I have the type you got as replacement. Probably this is the reason I've never had any issues on free hub engagement, which you and other owners report. However, do note that the creaking problem comes not from the free hub mech, but from the splines, which connect it to the hub through the plastic spacer. Grease this nicely and let us know if the creaking arrives sooner or later. Hope it won't. But the odds say the opposite 🤪

·
Registered
26 Posts
You're welcome! Glad it has helped. Your post has made me curious to check my free hub part (or maybe serial?) number. It looks like I have the type you got as replacement. Probably this is the reason I've never had any issues on free hub engagement, which you and other owners report. However, do note that the creaking problem comes not from the free hub mech, but from the splines, which connect it to the hub through the plastic spacer. Grease this nicely and let us know if the creaking arrives sooner or later. Hope it won't. But the odds say the opposite 🤪
I had two issues with my hub. Both the creak and then slipping. It wouldn't totally surprise me if the creak returned at some point but that's not a big deal to have to grease again, and ultimately, I can live with that, but it was the not engaging issue that made me lose confidence in the silent version of the hub.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently have had the exact same issue twice in a month. My first 12spd microspline hub seized up like a fixie about a month ago. I assumed a random fault so ordered another hub the same for a 10 Trip to Tasmania. After 8 days the new hub seized up again ! Shimano saying they will replace the hub or if I send wheel they will replace internals. They know there’s something wrong with them , don’t go near them. I don’t want another one

·
Registered
26 Posts
I recently have had the exact same issue twice in a month. My first 12spd microspline hub seized up like a fixie about a month ago. I assumed a random fault so ordered another hub the same for a 10 Trip to Tasmania. After 8 days the new hub seized up again ! Shimano saying they will replace the hub or if I send wheel they will replace internals. They know there’s something wrong with them , don’t go near them. I don’t want another one
The replacement you got, is it the same type, ie, silent until you engage, or do you hear every click in the hub? My first one would go completely silent when not pedalling but my new one has a 'buzz' sound now, more like a conventional hub, and when you rotate the free hub you hear every click of engagement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone actually tried running this freehub without this no. 10 spacer?

Hi everyone. I am an (un)happy owner of FH-M8110-BS. After a rather low mileage after building the wheel, it started creaking under load (it was end of April 2020). I opened it up and proceeded with cleaning the spacer (it was the yellow version and no lube), but during that I realised that many legs are broken. I asked my online shop if they could just sent me this sub-dollar-worth part, but it was not possible and had to send the wheel in :<.
After I received the wheel back, the hub and the freehub body were the original ones, but the spacer was replaced with the "black" version (I believe it's the XTR part no), and this time it came with lube. Unfortunately, when putting it back together I managed to break one of the spacer's 'legs' :D. I could assemble it back with this leg just put in place by grease "stiction", however, and it worked allright (scylence behavior etc.). Unfortunately, not that many kilometers after this service it started creaking again, but only under very heavy torque (going up steep ascents on largest sprocket). Didn't bother to open it up. However, a few days ago I took the bike for a trip and shortly after leaving, the freehub kinda (partially?) locked out, but I did some backpedalling or stop/start and it went back to normal operation and I continued on. It happened maybe once or twice more in this manner. After opening up, I realized that all 'legs' of this no. 10 spacer are broken and some of them got into the helical engagement mechanism and got chewed up and that's what caused the locking. Also, the grease turned into a black-silvery paste (probably worn plastic and anodized aluminium alloy...), also with some small amount of metallic 'fibers' as well, I am afraid . Now I am worried that there is some damage in the hub splines as well. What is even more strange is that the drive side bearing cap also got uninstalled and somewhow partially scraped/damaged, and therefore some contamination inevitably got into the bearing and it definitely needs at least proper grease removal with maybe bearing ball replacement and cup & cone surface inspection, after this episode. I am wondering if I should just rebuild this wheel with some new hub at my cost, just for the peace of mind... but I really like the quick engagement etc. of this Shimano system, and some other Microspline hub and probably spoke replacement would be quite expensive. Overall, the engineering seems to be rather good etc., but this issue is really strange and makes you wonder how (if at all) was this design with the spacer tested before production started...

I only tried it 'dry' by hand after assembling it without it - guess it would work, but with audible engagement noise, and would probably wear quite fast due to aluminium on aluminium contact, but would it be that bad if greased properly and grease replaced regularly? I am wondering it if would creak or not, but don't want to destroy the hub further by trying, as would be nice if Shimano could replace just the parts.
It is sad that it is not possible to claim warranty directly with Shimano in Poland, and have them send the replacement parts and I would sent the damaged ones back, and hopefully with regular TLC it would be a usable hub.

·
Registered
3 Posts
^^^^^^ A most unfortunate event.
Don't know what is the percentage of sarcasm in that - my post is indeed muuuuch too long. It's only a bike, but such failure when one was looking forward to finally having better conditions for riding in the mountains, coupled with COVID-related bike parts market troubles can turn one's mood down :D.
It's just really a shame that there is this stupid, fragile plastic spacer there (I was surprised when I first removed the freewheel body) - if the were no such problems, it would probably be a hub with the best ratchet system on the market with it's extra disengagement mechanism based on speed difference (that also increases the clutching force and prevents slippage, even under heavy load - which is reportedly a case with high-tooth versions of DT Ratchet solution).

I'll relace the rim to a ZTTO M1 hub someone was selling online with Microspline freewheel body included (would need to shell out 3x the amount for a DT 350 plus Microspline freewheel body...) - even if the included 54T ratchet is too shitty for steep inclines, I can buy a DT Swiss 36T ratchet and it should be much more reliable, plus I won't need to worry that I'll effectively destroy the hub (cups) by not servicing the C&C bearings often enough.

·
Magically Delicious
9,853 Posts
Interesting you saw sarcasm there. I'm was serious in expressing disappointment in your issue with an otherwise high quality product. In my opinion, this is a high quality product, that has managed to not be a high quality product. We are observing an equally disappointing scenario with DT Swiss and the Star Ratchet system. The took a bomb proof design and tried to make something better and it has been problematic for DT.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting you saw sarcasm there. I'm was serious in expressing disappointment in your issue with an otherwise high quality product. In my opinion, this is a high quality product, that has managed to not be a high quality product. We are observing an equally disappointing scenario with DT Swiss and the Star Ratchet system. The took a bomb proof design and tried to make something better and it has been problematic for DT.
Maybe I saw sarcasm in there as in retrospective I thought that my post was a little bit too much. What is the issue with DT Swiss Star Ratchet? Is it about Ratchet EXP?

161 - 180 of 182 Posts