Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. does the RM switch have a better suspension design than the Transition DB?

2. would a RM switch and a shiver be a good idea?

3. would you rather have a RM switch or a Transiton DB (price does not matter)?

4. Can you get the Switch s3 frame in any different color other than green?

thanks a lot.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
JBsoxB said:

thanks a lot.
1 - The DB has a horst link 4-bar design vs. the Switch's regular 4-bar design. This means the DB will pedal a bit better. However, I believe the Switch feels smoother on the hits, perhaps it has something to do with the progressive rate or something. If you're doing pure freeriding I think you'll like the Switch better but for an all around bike the DB will work nicer.

2 - Which Shiver Model? The single crown or double? The SC Shiver is a 4" which would be wierd and I'm assuming you're not looking at this. The DC Shiver is more of a DH fork and it's 7.5" of travel might be a bit much for a 6" back end but I'm sure it would work fine. If you want a Shiver I'd suggest getting a RMX frame instead. The Shiver line is also a bit flexier than normal forks since there is not brace above the wheel. However the 'unsprung' weight is lower so it should feel nicer over rough ground. Bottom Line: It'll work fine and you'd be happy but it might not be the perfect setup.

3 - Switch! IMO it's a better bike for freeriding plus it looks WAY nicer, will have a higher resale vale and it's just plain cooler.

4 - I don't think so but you could get the Special Edition Switch "Moko" paint job which really looks classy. That frame does have lighter tubing and an airshock so it might not suit your intentions. Here's what you should do: Get a 04 RM Switch Richey Schley edition frame. It looks so nice and you should be able to get one for a sweet price! (see it here: https://bikes.com/bikes/2004/switch/switch_rs.aspx) I talked to Rocky a few weeks ago and they still have some 04's floating around their factory. You'd have to order it through your local Rocky dealer but the impression I got is that Rocky is letting the 04 frames go for a pretty good price to the dealers and I'm sure you could work something out. I'd just call up Rocky (604 527 9993) and confirm they've got one in your size and then go arrange a price with your local dealer.

2005 Switch Moko

2004 Switch Ritchey Schley Edition

2005 Switch S3

The IMO Not as Sexy Dirt Bag

Regardless of your choice I suggest using a Marz. 66RC. You'll like it better than a shiver.

·
i should be working
532 Posts
the transition is a single pivot not horst link
edit: the switch is also a single pivot also,

the RM front triangle is know for breaking. maybe the RMX front fixed the problem but the switch doesnt use the updated design. it does have a lower leverage ratio for the shock which was part of the problem with the older RM/6/7/9's. so maybe its not good to compare the switch with the RM7's.

i havent heard one person on this board complain about their dirtbag so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
rpl3000 said:
the RM front triangle is know for breaking. maybe the RMX front fixed the problem but the switch doesnt use the updated design. it does have a lower leverage ratio for the shock which was part of the problem with the older RM/6/7/9's. so maybe its not good to compare the switch with the RM7's. .
The main problem with the older RM6/7/9's was the rear end, which was often developed quite a bit of slop in the bearings and resulted in breakage on some frames. Another complaint was the tall leverage ratio. The Switch has never shared the rear end of the RM7 style frame and this has never been an issue. The only complaints with the early (2002) Switch's where the tall leverage ratio and front triangle breakage where the shock attaches (not an issue on RM7's). For 2003 Rocky completely redesigned the Switch frame making it much stronger and increasing the travel to 6" (from 5).The new frame was much stronger and I have never heard of one breaking. The only complaint was for the 03 Switch was the taller leverage ratio (1.75 stroke on 6" travel = 3.42:1). For 04 Rocky tweaked the rear end to fit a 2" stroke thus dropping the leverage ratio to 3:1 and they got rid of the '1 point 5' steered tube standard.

The current switch frame has 3 proven model years of being plenty strong and for the last two years has had a lower leverage ratio. The Switch frame is also known for remaining very tight even after much hard use and is one of Rockies best designs ever.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
RuNDmC1087 said:
The Transition DB is not a Single Pivot, its just a standard four bar linkage (faux bar).
which is a link activated single pivot

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i can get the switch frame for the same price so, price doesn't matter....

oh, and the reason for a shiver would be

a) i talked to the california sales rep, nora, and she said that it would be fine geometry w/ a shiver (b/c it is meant for a 66, huge stack height, and a shiver has more travel so it levels out)

and b) i'm not just doing agressive trail riding etc... i talked to my mom and i might start racing dh locally (fontana, sea otter etc...)

if there are any other forks i should consider, say them! i might look at the dorado, but i'm worried about mantinence (sp?)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
You're right about the geometry...I don't think it would change much. The Shiver would be a cool DC fork and personally I'd take one over an 888 (cuz of the lower unsprung weight). My personal perference is a 66RC 170mm for extreme freeriding or a 6" Z1 FR 1 if you wanna trail ride it sometimes too. I just love a SC fork cuz it's lighter and you can turn sharper, do x-ups and maybe barspins if you run you front brake cable through the headset. I'm actually building up a Switch right now with a SC fork. It's an 03 frame I got from supergo.com for 869$ (now sold out). I've got a 05 Z1 FR1 6" on there but I can't give a review cuz it isnt totally built yet (need brakes, seatpost, cassette) so I can't give a review. I'm sending the stock Vanilla R to Push Industries to get new guts and turned into a platform shock.

If you want a DC fork the Shiver is a awesome choice. Whatever you do don't get a Dorado.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the input dandurston and others,

what i am going to end up doing is buying a complete switch, and swapping out the wheels, headset, pedals, fork, handlebar/stem, and brakes... and then i'm gonna put a 66 rc (instead of r, and i actually might end up making some money off of selling this stuff) and sell the rest... then i'm gonna put on a frame pedals, either (old school) shimano xt or juicy 7 brakes, and easton bar/stem, and a CK headset along with a wheelset that i have already bought.

so mabye in about 6 months, a bunch of stuff will be for sale (haha, that's not technically spam)

but i am sstill deciding between a 66 and a shiver.... mabye eventually i can save for both (but that'll take a loooong time) :p

thanks for your input,
JJ

·
Registered
13 Posts
No contest

the 66rc is the way to go under 8 lbs, a i would not be suprised if it was more stiff torsionally than the shiver. I had a 888 and replaced it with the 66 and could not be happier. The 66 will not let you down.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mcipes said:
the 66rc is the way to go under 8 lbs, a i would not be suprised if it was more stiff torsionally than the shiver. I had a 888 and replaced it with the 66 and could not be happier. The 66 will not let you down.
actually it's sub 6 i think... this bike is going to be doing hucks, trail riding, and dh, so i am hoping the 66 will hold up...

·
Registered
421 Posts
JBsoxB said:

thanks a lot.
1. They both pivot at approx. the same location, unlike say a Bullit, where the pivot is more forward (more torque) so by design principles, when it comes to introducing flex, I think less is more, and the RM has fewer pivots. That doesn't mean anything though because bearing tolerances can make or break any design. On the other hand, more pivots can share the load better as well as redirect forces which could result in a stronger design. It's a toss.
2. Don't know
3. Don't like interupted seat tube, DB
4. I'd get this one, it's RED

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.