Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to say it but after almost 5 years of trying to keep a shimano free bike, I'm going to have to go back to the Big "S". Atleast for rear derailleurs. (not anti-shimano, just hate the recent compatibility issues) I've gone through 2 9.0 SL, 2 9.0, and just killed my third 7.0 rear mech in the past five years.

Not sure if anyone else has had this happen but as always, the story starts, "I was just riding along..." and the rear derailleur wound itself around the mounting bolt, snapping itself off. I switched to 7.0 derailleurs because 9.0's were getting too expensive to replace. I've been building/wrenching my own bikes and wheels for well over 15 years now so I'm pretty sure I'm adjusting them right. I have found my top pulley siezed on one of my derailleurs after the blow up. Just wondering if it's just me?

Anyway, my XTR is on year 3 on my other bike. I still love the twisters and love the disc brakes (SRAM/Shimano/Grimeca) but I think I'll pull out my old attack 8 speeds and buy an XT rear.

REEK

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Before you swear off Sram derailluers

You really should try the X-7, 9 or X.0 derailluers. They really have improved. I wrapped 3 of the old 7.0's,( w/the composite knuckle), up around the hanger in 6 months. They replaced them w/an X-7 derailluer & even replaced the last chain it ruined w/a PC99. The X-7 & the PC99 have been great. Flawless. I highly recommend both.

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn't know they'd replace em...

I just figured if your story has to start with "I was just riding along.." then replacement for even a faulty product was near impossible.

I'll give the X7 a try then. I really like SRAM and would like to stay with SRAM.

Thanks.

REEK

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
I recently switched to x.9 just before heading up to whistler for a few days of riding. The quality of the shifting really blew me away- I don't ever remeber having a system that worked so well, 8-speed XTR included! But on the last day, only a few feet from the end of the ride, my derailuer wrapped, killing itself along with a few spokes and derailuer hanger. Weid since the shifting was flawless through-out 3 really technical long rides previous to destruction, and no crashes that could have bent things out of alignment.
(PS I'm an ex shop wrench and always set limit screws conservitavely)

So my theory is, the SRAM derailuers pivot's loosen up after a bit, which makes your limit screw adjustments worthless. I'm going to replace this derailuer and check /adjust the limit screws every other ride or so. I'm pretty confident that this explains why some of us have had perfectly good new derailuers self destruct.

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you may be right...

FM said:
So my theory is, the SRAM derailuers pivot's loosen up after a bit, which makes your limit screw adjustments worthless. I'm going to replace this derailuer and check /adjust the limit screws every other ride or so. I'm pretty confident that this explains why some of us have had perfectly good new derailuers self destruct.
In my long attempts to be Shimano free (especially now with "low normal"), I've been through a number of SRAM rears. The pre-Xgeneration deraillers all developed play in the parallelogram pivots within months. 9.0, 9.0 SL, 7.0's all good for about a season at most.

Now I'm giving the X.7 a try. I like it so far but it's only been a month or so. But at the same time, my other two bikes have gone back to Shimano (XT M750 and XTR M952). If this X.7 fails, I may be left with just SRAM chains and Attack shifters as my only solace from Shimano. As it is, I'm stuck on UN72 BB's and the old XTR differential plate front deraillers.

We'll see.

REEK

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Sram detonations

Sorry to hear your having issues with them.I have been using them from introduction and still have a 9.0sl on my freeride rig. I have four freinds with Sram derailures and I've only see one break and that was an encounter with a rock. The only other problem I've seen with them was a chainsuck problem which caused the derailure to pull forward up into the chainstay when the lower portion of the chain wraped around a damaged chainring, take a look at your chainrings would be my only advice.

·
Registered
176 Posts
FM said:
But on the last day, only a few feet from the end of the ride, my derailuer wrapped, killing itself along with a few spokes and derailuer hanger.
When you say wrapped, do you mean the derailleur got into the spokes and got spun around? I will have to check my limit screws then, got a lot of miles on mine.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
My CAA4 F3000Sl came equiped with 9.0SL.
Broke three derialeurs in 18months or so.
Now it has X.9 on it and i've already broken 1 derailleur.

My other bike has XR equipment and thats been trouble free.
Yes the shift quality of SRAM is nice but the drivetrain friction through the mech and the fact that I've broken so many of their derailleurs means I'll be replacing the X_generation stuf with XT as soon as the current derailleur breaks. It'a only a matter of time. :mad:

·
Complete Bastard
2,282 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my x.0 derailleur. I was JRA (admittedly covered in mud in a race) and the chain seized in the cage and tore the derailleur off. I have no idea why other than 'muck interference'. I don't know if it's a bad design but I raced in the mud again 4 weeks later and used a LOT of wet lube and pam sprayed liberally on everything and didn't have a problem.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
It seems like thats what happened. By the time I came to a stop, so much damage was done that it was hard to tell what happened first!

Looking at the mangled derailuer, it looks like the steel tab that the limit screw presses against was slightly deformed from pressure. I'm thinking that this caused the same effect as if the limit screw backed out- accidental shifting into the spokes, causing carnage.

Now I have a new X9 on my bike, this time I tuned it so that you can actually feel the derailuer hit the limit screw at the end of the shift onto the biggest cog. I never tuned shitmano that way, but perhaps thats the trick with SRAM. It survived a weekend of muddy, rainy whistler XC already so thats a good sign.

Either way, just over $50 for new X9's on ebay, no der. slap, and better than XTR shifting.... I can live with an occasional casualty.

KCC said:
When you say wrapped, do you mean the derailleur got into the spokes and got spun around? I will have to check my limit screws then, got a lot of miles on mine.

·
Complete Bastard
2,282 Posts
Frankie - B said:
What do you guys do with your Sram derailleurs? Do you shift under heavy loads or something? My 7.0 lives for 2 years with me now. Never heard her complain! And I race with her!
Yes I realize in a perfect world we would never shift under load. We'd also always get dates with the hot girl and never mouth off to police officers when intoxicated, but in reality, where I live, that kind of stuf happens. When mine broke I wasn't shifting or doing anything other than riding and pedalling. **** happens.

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Same here....

Frankie - B said:
What do you guys do with your Sram derailleurs? Do you shift under heavy loads or something? My 7.0 lives for 2 years with me now. Never heard her complain! And I race with her!
All of my derailleur deaths were when I was "JRA". Once after a technical downhill, I shifted up (harder/smaller rear gears) to pedal along a flat single track section. Got about 1/4 mile then snapped the derailler off and wrapped the chain around my rear wheel/spokes.

Another time, I was cranking along a calm single track , flat spot for a mile, paused my pedalling and when I started up again (no shifting done at all) it snapped.

I didn't even bother trying to warrantee them (both fairly new) because when you start your story with "I was just riding along..." nothing good comes of it.

Of course, a few of my other SRAM rears have lasted up to a year.

REEK

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yep, I've broken two... just riding along.

One was a 9.0 in the middle of a race, (I was able to finish), and another was a 9.0sl. I sent both into SRAM and received a replacement, free of charge.
I went to the X0 after the 9.0sl because it has a metal knuckle, as opposed to the composite that seemed to be the source of failure. X9 has an aluminum knuckle as well.
X0 has been flawless now all season.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Derailures

I agree that there isn't an advantage to eather companies derailure when properly tuned. Whatever your most comfortable with will be fine. But I became tired of replacement costs for shimano. A bent XT chain ring costs as much to replace as buying a set of three Raceface rings. For the cost of replacing one broken shifter you can buy two shifters and a derailure from sram. Thats the only reason I don't buy any shimano anymore, Except front derailures.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Derailleur cam?

Maybe someone can fix a camera like folks make riding movies with to the bike and catch the failure on video?!?!

I tried out X.9 with trigers for a few days and thougt it was great. I intend to get some to replace my XT derailleur/deore shifters.

·
Registered
122 Posts
another one... damn

I hate to have to chime in here cuz that means that my x9 derailleur also failed. I went out for a quick ride on a rainy day, today, and on the way out I hit the derailleur on a small rock and there went the shifting. So I investigate and find the cage is a little tweaked. I bend in back and head home. I checked it again and find out the bolt that holds the cage to the derailleur snapped. The cage just pulls right out. Brand new turner and now I have to deal with this derailleur problem. The shifting was great up until now, and I will get another one. What is the deal though, are they just wicked fragile or what? I've smacked the shimanos many times harder than this, and never had anything happen like this. Any thoughts?

·
(aka SS_MB-7)
924 Posts
...and, here's my story from my ride a couple weeks ago.

Dear SRAM,

I was just riding along (JRA) when....

So, the ride started off perfectly. The forecast was for 23C (74F) and sun. Since days like these are numbered once you hit October, I decided to take the day off work, clean the exterior and interior of my car, run some errands, etc., and then get out for a much needed ride after lunch. With my chores done, I left my place at 12:30pm and was on the trails by 12:31pm.

The trails and conditions were perfect and I was alone on them...even more perfect! I did my traditional loop with some modifications. After nearly 2 hours, I finally hit my destination...a new, very technical trail called Outback!

I hit the "lap" button on my Polar HRM and headed in. I felt great today and was hoping to break the 28 minute barrier.

I was flying through the trail and was within 2-3 minutes of finishing (lap time showing ~25 minutes) when I felt a slight tug and then, KABAAM.....my SRAM X.0 derailleur was blown into pieces:

The rear derailleur hanger was pretty badly bent, but I guess the force of the impact was too fast and too severe that it just destroyed the rear derailleur.

Great, so now I'm ~2.5 hrs into my 4 hr ride, my derailleur is toast, I need to be home by 4:30pm or my wife will kick my a$$!

Fortunately, I was able to break and shorten the chain, removed what was left of my rear derailleur, tied the rear derailleur cable to the derailleur hanger, picked-up the rest of the pieces off the trail and modified what was left of my drivetrain into a singlespeed. I'm somewhat of a veteran SS'er, so this wasn't a big deal for me. I just selected the 2:1 gearing (32:16) and shortened the chain accordingly. It was ever so slightly loose, but it was enough to get me home for my 4:30pm deadline:

So, the following day, I bought a replacement X-9 rear der, installed and was riding again the following day and long Canadian Thanksgiving weekend.

==========

Even though I was certain this would NOT be a warranty (I always consider sh*t like this to be a casualty of our sport), I emailed a contact at SRAM to see for myself since I had read/heard about so many similar issues that were warranteed.....Unfortunately, no luck for me :( SRAM did have issues with some of the '02 derailleurs in which the pulley shaft was too brittle. But, based on the date-stamp on the back of my X.0 pulley cage (09-MAR-04), my derailleur was OK.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts