Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure out if the 2, 2,5 and 8mm hex keys are really needed on a emergency multi tool. Have you used these out on the trail? Are the 2 and 2.5 used for anything besides the shock rebound setting? What is the 8mm for? The only thing I can figure out is crank arm bolts.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
i've used the 2.5mm allen key many times to adjust the lever travel on my hayes brakes. as for the 2 and 8mm ones, i dont think i ever used em. but im sure the first time you ride without em your gonna end up needing them for something.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
The only time I've tried to use the 2 or 2.5 was when my wife complained that her brake lever reach was too far out. Multi tools are too bulky to reach into the reach-adjust screw so there was nothing I could do (and let that be a lesson to her, check that crap out before you hit the trail). V-brake spring tension is easy to adjust without any tools, just bend the spring.

I had a friend who's crank arm came loose during a ride so an 8mm would have been useful for him. But really, how often does that happen? And today a lot of crank bolts are bigger than 8mm.

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
There are a few parts out there that use those sizes, but you've dicovered one of the disadvantages of multi tools is that you're buying tools you can't use or don't need. It's one of the reasons I've never been a fan of those things, I usually carry full size ball end allen keys in the sizes that fit my bike along with a real chain tool.

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
dir-T said:
The only time I've tried to use the 2 or 2.5 was when my wife complained that her brake lever reach was too far out. Multi tools are too bulky to reach into the reach-adjust screw so there was nothing I could do (and let that be a lesson to her, check that crap out before you hit the trail). V-brake spring tension is easy to adjust without any tools, just bend the spring.

I had a friend who's crank arm came loose during a ride so an 8mm would have been useful for him. But really, how often does that happen? And today a lot of crank bolts are bigger than 8mm.
Good point about the brake levers. I have had to adjust the gf's many times on a ride, and I never thought about a multi not being able to fit in there.
I came across a guy several months ago who was in need of a 10mm for his cranks. Luckily for him I was carrying the full pack. I usually carry the full non-folding set, but they weigh quite a bit. I personally would rather suffer with a little more weight, than have to walk home due to not having the right wrench.

-Dan

·
Registered
483 Posts
8mm...cranks

i don't leave home without an 8mm on a multitool or as a separate allen wrench. needed for crank tightening on the bottom bracket. running loose can damage the cranks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.