Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I carry in my bag:

Park MT-1 (Allen)
Park CT-1 (Chain Break)
Tire Levers
Mini-Pump
Zip Ties
Tube

By far the most used in over 15 years of riding is the Chain Break and Tire Tube/Levers/Pump.

I recently had a valve stem that was screwed on tight and could not be removed by hand. I don't carry pliers. Is that the logical item to add?

Any multi-tools out there that have a mechanism to get a valve stem to let go? Have not found one...

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Do you mean you need to remove the core, or the tip to add air?

I carry a knock-off Leatherman in my pack. Mostly for a knife and pliers but never use either. Best to have it and not need it instead of the other way around.

·
Registered
17,520 Posts
Issue would be in removing the whole stem in order to put a tube in with its own stem
You could carry a mini pair of pliers just in case but really you shouldn't need them for that. The nut should always be put on finger tight and pushing the valve down from the inside of the rim makes it easy to remove.

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
I carry a full-sized Leatherman on one bike and a tiny leatherman on another. I have used the pliers on both several times, but never on my own bike. On two occasions the bikes I fixed would not have been fixed if my pliers had been around.

As an aside, Leatherman tools are stupidly strong. I wouldn't carry a cheaper tool as I've seen Leathermans take force that I'm fairly confident would break most tools.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I carry a full-sized Leatherman on one bike and a tiny leatherman on another....
Coincidentally a few days ago I was going through a desk draw and came across two Leatherman tools and one very similar Gerber. I bought the first one over 30 years ago and got the others as gifts not long after. I used that first one a few time after getting, just because, and haven't used any of them since. They're fine tools for what they are, but the circumstance to use them just never came up. They're not something I would carry on me, and at home, in my vehicles and on my bikes I use or carry other tools.

·
Ride Fast Take Chances :)
3,636 Posts
Coincidentally a few days ago I was going through a desk draw and came across two Leatherman tools and one very similar Gerber. I bought the first one over 30 years ago and got the others as gifts not long after. I used that first one a few time after getting, just because, and haven't used any of them since. They're fine tools for what they are, but the circumstance to use them just never came up. They're not something I would carry on me, and at home, in my vehicles and on my bikes I use or carry other tools.
I've had a leatherman for 25 years and I use it on a daily basis. It and my flashlight go on my belt everyday. It's perfect for the jobs where I don't want to walk out to the truck and get the right tool.

I used to carry it backpacking but it's to heavy for that. It's too heavy for a bike tool too.

One up EDC works great and has added storage for extra stuff. I won't ride without a chain tool! Taking out valves is pretty easy by hand, no special tool needed. One tool I carry in all my kits is tweezers. They can be invaluable when you really need them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I am going the Leatherman route...there are few tools on there that compliment a multi-tool...going with a small one w/ pliers. To all of you that commented on being able to take a stem out by hand...I am afraid that you just can't trust that the bike shop (or me) didn't tighten it down at some point to get sealant to stop weeping out. I am running the e*thirteen stems and maybe they just are prone to being over-tightened...

·
Ride Fast Take Chances :)
3,636 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.