·
Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
750 Posts
Nice!

trail717 said:
Maybe

Got a new frame today with a little something extra for the long rides
Looks like a GLR rig to me :)

Looks super light as well. How much travel do you get out of those flexy stays?

Share the full build when she's ready!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
100 mm give or take a mm

hairball_dh said:
Looks like a GLR rig to me :)

Looks super light as well. How much travel do you get out of those flexy stays?

Share the full build when she's ready!
GLR:
Well maybe next yr, I am thinking more of a CTR "ride" (not full race, sort of like your idea about doing the GLR for the 1st time, got to start somewhere, we will see)

Stays and flex??
The old mechanical engineer in me says this design (dampened leaf spring)should have min flex for my style of riding, same with ride reports from other Funk owners. That said I won't really know till I get some trail time. I will share my impressions.

CT from the bridge over the Platte River, just like this picture

Attachments

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Resolutions for Multi Days

trail717 said:
Maybe

Got a new frame today with a little something extra for the long rides
How about some Resolution to finish those long rocky journeys, 700 and 720 grams ea (including packaging)

Attachments

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Solid me thinks

trail717 said:
How about some Resolution to finish those long rocky journeys, 700 and 720 grams ea (including packaging)
Attach trailing Resolution here

Attachments

·
Just go ride!
616 Posts
Wow! That is a beautiful and funky frame! I've never actually seen one of those before. Definitely share the riding characteristics with us. So hard to imagine how the compression and rebound would be. I guess you can dial that in with the shock though, right? Looks a lot more posh than my YBB at the expense of an air shock vs. steel spring, and still no pivot points to worry about. That rack is sweet too! You did it right to have the foresight to get the rack eyelets in advance. :thumbsup:

Only 1 water bottle cage though? :skep:

Also, glad to hear you're thinking about doing the CTR. Approaching it from a "ride" rather than "race" standpoint may be the best way to actually finish that thing! It's monstrous!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stefan_G said:
Wow! That is a beautiful and funky frame! I've never actually seen one of those before. Definitely share the riding characteristics with us. So hard to imagine how the compression and rebound would be. I guess you can dial that in with the shock though, right? Looks a lot more posh than my YBB at the expense of an air shock vs. steel spring, and still no pivot points to worry about. That rack is sweet too! You did it right to have the foresight to get the rack eyelets in advance. :thumbsup:
RS:
Daryl and I had a little conversation about the Moots YYB, he commented that he thinks the YBB is one of two all time great/influential MTB designs. Basically I think the La Ruta's RS is a logical extension of two prior designs, the YYB being one (uses the chain stay tubes for a spring) and the Castellano (uses a full length flat plate for a spring) the other. But the La Ruta uses a plate/tube PLUS brings the seat stays around the ST allowing for 100mm of travel.

Rack eyelets:
Daryl said he really hated to weld on those ugly eyelets on to his beautiful seat stays, I think they offend his delicate artistic nature. However he did not blink when I told him I wanted a way to mount/dismount a solid rear rack and that was one more reason to go with him as a builder. I just hope the eyelets don't position the rack to far forward, if they do will have to re-do them

Only 1 water bottle cage though? :skep:
There is only room within the front triangle for one and we calculated minimum tire/bottle clearance for a second cage/bottle on the bottom of the down tube. So that basically leaves a seat post mount for a second bottle if the rack clearance allows, I have had success with this on my prior bike. Or maybe add one to the down tube if the final assembly warrants it.

Also, glad to hear you're thinking about doing the CTR. Approaching it from a "ride" rather than "race" standpoint may be the best way to actually finish that thing! It's monstrous!
To do the entire CT has been a long term personal MTB goal. I have done the trail from Denver to Sergeants Mesa in bits and pieces over the last 15+ years. The CTR just adds motivation to do what I have always said I would do "someday" and attempting it within the Self-Supported format is icing on the cake

Seat Stays around the ST are key to 100mm travel:

Attachments

·
LW Coaching
737 Posts
Very nice - rack eyelets too! That's some serious custom work.

Is that an Old Man Mountain Rack? I looked at those last year before KTR but never did get one to try out.

I'd be real interested in hearing how the rack works with your rear suspension loaded up. IIRC they take up to 40 lbs - that's beefy but 40 lbs on my rear end might flip me over backwards or at the very least make my front end very wobbly on descents.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Old Man Rack

LyndaW said:
Very nice - rack eyelets too! That's some serious custom work.

Is that an Old Man Mountain Rack? I looked at those last year before KTR but never did get one to try out.

I'd be real interested in hearing how the rack works with your rear suspension loaded up. IIRC they take up to 40 lbs - that's beefy but 40 lbs on my rear end might flip me over backwards or at the very least make my front end very wobbly on descents.
Yes it is an Old Man Mountain rack, I also have the old mtn QR brackets so I can experiment with a more aft mounting position

I have the exact same handling/weight distribution questions and concerns you mention as I have never used a rear rack on a mountain bike.

I will post my impressions after some trials and I would be interested to hear from others who have been down this path???

I am really looking forward to ringing out my multi day bike/pack/load set-up ideas and my long haul/gear & sleep system over the next few months. I just learned I might not be able to make the KTR date this year so my first over night/real test may be a solo Loma to Moab back to Loma ride a little earlier in May when I am in the area for work.

PS: My best wishes to you, speedy recovery and all that stuff, just read your blog since your OP post, hey enjoy those "kid" moments, they are so special and they soon slip away :thumbsup:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tilts allowed

LyndaW said:
When you compress the shock does the top of the rack stay horizontal or tilt?
It tilts, but not much.

I will experiment to determine how far forward a load can be placed before the load hits the seat post at full compression.
I was a bit worried about this but now that I have seen everything assembled and played a bit I am confident the current position of the rack will handle the size/shape load I plan on using in a Multi-day event.:thumbsup:

For big/long top loads and panniers (they would need heel clearance) on each side, the rack can be mounted with the axle mount kit. Old Man Mountain web site shows pictures of this configuration

·
Just go ride!
616 Posts
trail717 said:
1) Installed the rack and tested clearance (note O-ring on shock)
Looking pretty sweet! I noticed some dirt on the tires... So how does it ride? :) Also, does the shock have a lockout?

Dunno why I am so curious - it's not like I'm gonna be buying another bike for probably 10 years... Just cool to see such a unique bike being put together.

trail717 said:
2) Playing around with a second water bottle
I know the water bottle cage looks funky there, but a good buddy of mine has had great success using one on both sides of the seatpost like that on his FS 29er. And after it's empty, you wouldn't even have to stop to pee! :D

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Getting There

Stefan_G said:
Looking pretty sweet! I noticed some dirt on the tires... So how does it ride? :) Also, does the shock have a lockout?

Dunno why I am so curious - it's not like I'm gonna be buying another bike for probably 10 years... Just cool to see such a unique bike being put together.

I know the water bottle cage looks funky there, but a good buddy of mine has had great success using one on both sides of the seatpost like that on his FS 29er. And after it's empty, you wouldn't even have to stop to pee! :D
Thanks, I think it will be super sweet when fully dialed in. Frame and rack/build up is sort of modeled after your and mikesee's Moots YBB's bikes. But with the rack removed and the 100 mm of rear travel I should have a nice all-round FS XC bike.

Shock has a #3 "pro-pedal" position that effectively locks out the bob but it still moves with mid-size hit. For shorter/faster XC style rides I will probably just use the #2 position and add about 3-5 lb more air
But for my extended endurance rides, the full open position and with fairly low air the RS has a very "plush" feel when seated over smaller rocks, holes etc and is getting almost full movement. And I can easily reach down and lock out all of the bob when on roads, extended smooth sections or long climbs.

I can also position the water bottle on the rear of the seat post when I have the rack off. And will probably see if Daryl can add a third mount under the down tube now that I can see assembled clearances.
Note: Us slower more casual riders can always stop to pee, or just wait till the wind is blowing the right direction, but you and other hard core types might want to consider your side mount water bottle ideas, he he

Hope to do a section of RTR in Moab this Sat, that will be the my first true extended, over 3 hr, ride on the bike

(Sat on Pueblo trails)

Attachments

·
Just go ride!
616 Posts
trail717 said:
And I can easily reach down and lock out all of the bob when on roads, extended smooth sections or long climbs.
That's really nice. I bet you'll be quite happy having that option!
trail717 said:
And will probably see if Daryl can add a third mount under the down tube now that I can see assembled clearances.
Yup. Looks like there's plenty of room there. I've never regretted getting my 3rd bottle mounts there for my Moots. The bottle often gets muddy and dirty, but being able to have 3 on the frame is quite nice. Especially for those longer rides, where, yes, we ALL stop to pee... :)
trail717 said:
Hope to do a section of RTR in Moab this Sat, that will be the my first true extended, over 3 hr, ride on the bike.
Cool. I'll be out there too, so I'll look for your bike. Are you gonna start at 6am with the rest of us?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
17th?

Stefan_G said:
Cool. I'll be out there too, so I'll look for your bike. Are you gonna start at 6am with the rest of us?
You going to be there this Sat? the 17th? :confused:

I will be pre-riding a section on the 17th and then the scheduled ride on the 24th (thinking about a start early on the 24th so as to hit the last section in daylight (I am slow) and take an un-official time).

·
Just go ride!
616 Posts
trail717 said:
You going to be there this Sat? the 17th? :confused:

I will be pre-riding a section on the 17th and then the scheduled ride on the 24th (thinking about a start early on the 24th so as to hit the last section in daylight (I am slow) and take an un-official time).
Sorry about the confusion. I will not be there 3/17, but I am doing the organized ride on 3/24. I'm starting with everyone else on the 24th, but I'm not sure if I'll make it to the last section before dark either. "Slow" is relative, and I'm pretty slow compared to a lot of those guys too! Descending Poison spider in the dark (even w/ lights) would suck - I've been lost on that trail during the day...

Anyway, have fun out there this weekend with your new ride!

Cheers,
Stefan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts