Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
believe me, i've searched and still searching. looking for a pack for ultra-light multidays, trying to go the mikesee route be able to ride tech terrain easily. i've figured out most of the setup other than the pack, how much capacity is needed? 32L enough for 2-3 nights...too much capacity? i'm happy to travel no-frills.

i've tried a few different ones, including the much hallowed "go-lite" but they SUCK. not designed with cycling in mind at all (ie. the straps should be HIGHER than the top of the pack) my helmet interferes with the pack on all the models i've tried. mikesee made a comment in a thread about the fun of experimenting with different gear....i agree except i'm having trouble with this as packs aren't cheap! especially the ergon/wingnut packs which are cycling specific

i suppose i should mention the intended terrain is canadian front range (ie. high alpine environment)

any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks.

·
3,049 Posts
32 liters is waaaay too big, first of all. You don't need that much stuff, and too much pack weight hurts your booty.

I really like the Osprey Talon 22. It's a good size, and is impressively stable for technical riding. Well constructed, a good, logical pocket layout. A+.

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
ionsmuse said:
32 liters is waaaay too big, first of all. You don't need that much stuff, and too much pack weight hurts your booty.

I really like the Osprey Talon 22. It's a good size, and is impressively stable for technical riding. Well constructed, a good, logical pocket layout. A+.
thanks! i just got that info from a thread by Krein as well. they aren't terribly priced....but hard to find in canada! if going with a non-cycling specific pack (like the osprey) is a true frame ok, or would one recommend a flexible frame like a normal hydropack?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I have an Osprey Stratos that I use as a daypack for hiking and really love it. If you are trying to cram 2-3 nights worth of stuff into a pack that would also be stable for riding, I'd definitely take a look and try one on.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I've been through exactly what you are going through. Luckily REI has a great return policy so I haven't been out any money except for my original purchase. I started with an Osprey Stratos 18 and liked it except for the internal frame which dug into my shoulders when I was riding. Moved to the Talon 22 and loved it but the only issue is that I have a mole on my back and if it wasn't packed perfect it would dig into my back. I have since moved to the Ergon BD2 and except for the lack of good pockets, really like it. I'm having some pockets sewn on though so it's no biggie. It has the least amount of space of all of them at around 900 ci and that should last me (food wise) a max of about 2 1/2 days. That's just me though. Of course I use an CDW handlebar bag and seatpack.

·
3,049 Posts
ferday said:
if going with a non-cycling specific pack (like the osprey) is a true frame ok, or would one recommend a flexible frame like a normal hydropack?
I do not like any sort of frame for such uses. It inhibits mobility, is heavy, and I've yet to find one that won't dig into my spine (combine less body fat with a curved back when cycling and you've got a nice ridge of pressure points).

I did a three day backpack in the Sierras with the Talon last week, to give you an idea of capacity.

·
Team Inflexible
1,943 Posts
I am a firm believer in the Camel Back Alpine Explorer. I dont run bike bags or racks so the camel back holds everything great at 1900ci. Its not nearly as light as the Osprey Talon but is rugged, has the perfect ammount of space, and cool features. Also it is super comfey for multiday biking. The trick is not to run a full bladder. I run a water bottle on the bike and make sure I hydrate well before I hit the trail.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
The pack you are looking for is the Deuter TransAlp 30. It's a cycling specific pack designed for multi-day riding.

It will hold 30L of gear and is seperated into two main sections with a lower sleeping bag style pocket. There are two inner pockets to organize gear and outter straps to hold a helmet or jacket.

The Air Stripes back panel are comfortable when loaded and do a great job of helping keep the back cool. There flexable aluminum stays inside the Air Stripes that can be formed to your back and help carry the load.

Where are you located? I can help in finding a shop that might have one.

·
Registered
330 Posts
shirk said:
The pack you are looking for is the Deuter TransAlp 30. It's a cycling specific pack designed for multi-day riding.

It will hold 30L of gear and is seperated into two main sections with a lower sleeping bag style pocket. There are two inner pockets to organize gear and outter straps to hold a helmet or jacket.

The Air Stripes back panel are comfortable when loaded and do a great job of helping keep the back cool. There flexable aluminum stays inside the Air Stripes that can be formed to your back and help carry the load.

Where are you located? I can help in finding a shop that might have one.
Subscribing to this thread (and will likely be doing some touring with Ferday when we get our gear sorted out)!

We're in Calgary, Alberta.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
LeeL said:
I was just looking for a picture of the Deuter - thx shirk. It's a perfect pack for that application. A bit heavy but tough. Doesn't interfere with helmet
The TransAlp 30 is 1160g.

The lighter weight option from that is a Speed Lite 30 at 850g.

The Speed Lite is a classic top loader thats been trimmed down by using light weight materials and thinner back padding and shoulder straps. It has an outer pocket flap that can hold your helmet. The Speed Lite is designed as a more versatile light weight alpine pack that can be used for backcountry skiers, climbers and bikers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.