Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
a'buh?
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into getting an HT from a mainstream company that will be used for DJ, urban, and riding around college, once I go there the fall of '06. I want to get a mainstream company bike so that it will be easy to get serviced, and so that I can just buy it from a local shop. As always, money is an issue, I don't want to spend more than $700 dollars, but I also don't want to be replacing parts all the time. I was considering the Giant STP2, Kona Shred, and Fisher Mullet. I am not considering the p.2 b/c it's a bit expensive for the spec, and I've ridden one before, and didn't really like the feel of it. I also considered the p.steel, but it seems kind of expensive for what you get, and I couldn't get away w/ a single speed for getting to class on time.

So.....here are my impressions, tell me if I'm wrong, or what you guys think I should get, etc.

STP2-I've ridden one before, and really like the feel of it. However, I'm concerned about the fork. This bike will be abused fairly regularly, and i don't want to have to spend $300 on a new fork a month after I get the bike. Also, it doesn't have disc brakes.

Mullet-Seems like a fairly cool bike, and I'd love to support fisher's new FR bikes, but I don't know if it would be reliable. The cranks and rims don't sound great (to be honest, I've never heard of them before, which isn't a good sign) Also, not sure about the fork's reliability, or about the Big Earl parts' reliability. Plus, it doesn't have a bashguard.

Shred-Seems cool, but it's a little more expensive than the other two, (only $50, though) I think there would probably be less reliability problems with the Dirt Jam than w/ the Splice or MZ. This would be my #1 choice for sure except that I rode an '04 Stuff, which I assume should be fairly similar to this, and wasn't all that impressed with the feel of the bike-it felt heavy and dead, not flickable like the STP I rode felt. Also, I've heard that the Dirt Jam fork is pretty bad on small bump compliance, of course, that won't matter, as this won't be my main trail bike

So. I guess what this ridiculously long post (sorry) breaks down to is do you think the Shred will feel different from the Stuff I rode? Are there significant advantages to the Rhyno Lites on the STP over the Alex DM-24's on the Shred, or vice versa. Is the MZ Comp really that bad? and is the Dirt Jam any better? What about the Splice on the Fisher? Is Big Earl stuff reliable? Please answer these questions, and give your opinion. Sorry again for the long post, but what else is someone with mono supposed to do?

·
Registered
217 Posts
about the wheelset on the mullet... you said it was a big Earl wheelset, they are sick. i demoed a session 77 with those wheels, and was impressed. pretty light, and VERY strong. no flex anywhere in them. the bontrager big Earl stuff is quality. dont worry bout it, it'll hold up.

·
a'buh?
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if I did say that the mullet had Big Earl wheels, I didn't mean to-it has WTB speed Disc wheels (I wish it had Big Earl's)

Is everyone else just going to ignore my thread? C'mon, don't be shy, you can do it. Would it help lure you in if I had some pictures?

Attachments

·
Registered
819 Posts
in my oppinoin, the stp will be easier to peddal around and be more flickable, but if i was u i would save up 200 bucks more and get the cannondale chase 3. it is a sick bike.

·
a'buh?
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, I was looking at the Chase's, but wasn't really sure about them. I'll have to look into it further

·
a'buh?
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
whoops, hit "post" by accident...... The only thing about the Chase is money.....Remember this is going to be my college bike, so if it gets stolen I don't want to be totally heart-broken, but on the other hand, I don't want to ride crap

·
Registered
819 Posts
i understand. the paint job of the chase is sick. it also has a 1.5 headtube. if u decide not to get the chase, i would highly recomend any of the stp's except the 3. i would also recomend used bikes. check out pinkbike.com

·
Registered
217 Posts
agreed with the chase. ot of all of those bikes, i would absolutely go with a chase. but is a few more bucks. buts its a sick frame, and the component spec is pretty decent. the only problem i had with the one i was riding (dont know if theyre all like this) is that there was no kinda cage style chan guilde, just one 32 tooth ring and a bashring, and it dropped its chain all the time. but a 15 dollar cae style chain guide would solve that problem.

·
a'buh?
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah, the jamis looks cool, but it seems like more of a FR and trail bike, and I will have an FS for that, I just need a bike for DJ and urbaning

·
the target bike basher
777 Posts
the mullet is not a very good djer in my opinoin, have you test ridden one? the top tube is absurdly massave, your almost laying doyn when riding it, and the splice doesnt have much bounce for jumping, its just soft...the Stp i think would be the best.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a stp1, i rode the cannondale/specialized/kona/giant dj/ht's after riding them all I prefered the geometry/feel of the giant, it is extremely easy to ride, very flickable. I am still very happy with the decision and if i had to do it over I would still go with the stp. I am 5'9"/145lbs I went with the 14"/small, i like alot of standover hight. If you do go this route change the pedals for some platforms with pins, the stock pedals can get you by but not great. just my .02c either way I am sure any of them will get the job done.

--mntl

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.