Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The v3 Banshees look great, and despite being super happy with my current 27.5” bikes I keep pondering how much fun a mullet spitfire might be.

Whose rocking one?
What’s your set-up?
Thoughts from Keith?

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
I've given it some serious thought. I have to admit waiting a few bikes I know are coming before deciding what to get next.

I may have screwed this up, it was one of those late night ponderings.

Green side is stock geo based on thier listed AC on a fork. Added 5mm for the 29er 140mm and then 19mm for wheel size.

Spitfire mullet Fox 34 140mm.jpg

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
I think it might feel good if you're on the taller side. I'm only 5'8". I put a 130mm 29 fork on my v2 Spifire and it felt like it really slowed down the steering. The maneuverability of the 27.5 front wheel felt like its no longer there. The back felt like it was easier to whip around...but not sure I'd give that up for the livelier (sp?) feel of the smaller front wheel. I put the 27.5 fork/wheel back on.

Also wouldn't the HA at ~64 degrees really slow down the steering and make the front end floppy at lower speeds?

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
I think it might feel good if you're on the taller side. I'm only 5'8". I put a 130mm 29 fork on my v2 Spifire and it felt like it really slowed down the steering. The maneuverability of the 27.5 front wheel felt like its no longer there. The back felt like it was easier to whip around...but not sure I'd give that up for the livelier (sp?) feel of the smaller front wheel. I put the 27.5 fork/wheel back on.

Also wouldn't the HA at ~64 degrees really slow down the steering and make the front end floppy at lower speeds?
I commented in another thread I'd get an angleset to bring the HA back in check. You could also shim the rear and make it a 130/130 mullet.

Here's the numbers for a Mullet Prime. I may be wrong, but I raised the front by the 19mm the rear would drop.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TwoTone, what app are you using there?

I’m sure you guys probably saw

This was interesting too
https://www.notubes.com/news/staff-bike-derek-bissetts-mullet-bike/

I guess my interest is in how a mullet Spitty with a burly build would fare as a pedally enduro type bike. I wouldn’t be worried about the head angle being too slack as long as the BB didn’t get too high- maybe a 140mm fork.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Few things here...

Generally I recommend our '29er' frames for mullet setups, as they remain more balanced. You can run a 10mm lower fork, and run dropout in hihg position and geometry remains almost the same as fuller 29er in slack, plus the chainstay balances out the long front end for better weight distribution... and significantly... BB height doesn't vary much. "9ers are better suited to mullet setup than 27.5 because of these factors.

Just remember the spitfire is a trail bike, I'd suggest that the prime would be better choice for you if you want to go mullet and a bit heavier hitting.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Keith, that’s interesting!
I had considered a mullet prime briefly, the difference in chainstay length threw me off.

Your modular drop-outs are really about the coolest design ever.

I’ve never actually ridden a mullet bike so this is all pure speculation. I have been wondering if you can get some of the roll-over and efficiency benefits of 29 from the front wheel, while getting the clearance, playfulness and cornering quickness of smaller wheels out back. I wish I could demo a mullet or borrow a fork and front wheel for my chromag to see how that feels. I’m personally sold on 27.5” rear wheels, another Rune is probably the right bike for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been wondering if you can get some of the roll-over and efficiency benefits of 29 from the front wheel, while getting the clearance, playfulness and cornering quickness of smaller wheels out back.
I'm thinking the answer is yes after riding mine for three weeks now. I posted it on the Spitfire thread the other day https://forums.mtbr.com/banshee-bikes/2020-spitfire-v3-1124637.html#post14726935

Still getting used to riding a full squish with all the preloading before jumps and all that, but I'm convinced of how the mullet setup has been performing so far. But I'm definitely getting a 150 27.5 fork before jumping into any conclusions about which one is "the best" or anything. I personally don't care if I'm a second slower or something with a smaller wheel. The most important thing for me is the bike being fun and inspiring to ride :)

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks letsgethurt, that’s a sweet ride. Very cool that you basically had all the stuff to try Mullet out, low risk.

In a curious turn of events, I toco’d the 27.5 front wheel on my trailbike last week.

Must do more research!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm thinking the answer is yes after riding mine for three weeks now. I posted it on the Spitfire thread the other day https://forums.mtbr.com/banshee-bikes/2020-spitfire-v3-1124637.html#post14726935

Still getting used to riding a full squish with all the preloading before jumps and all that, but I'm convinced of how the mullet setup has been performing so far. But I'm definitely getting a 150 27.5 fork before jumping into any conclusions about which one is "the best" or anything. I personally don't care if I'm a second slower or something with a smaller wheel. The most important thing for me is the bike being fun and inspiring to ride :)
How do you like the mullet vs 27.5 full setup so far? I’d love to hear your thoughts on the differences!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Big fan of my Mullet V2 Spitfire. I'm convinced it's a better bike with the 140mm 29er up front. I'm considering going to 130mm and possibly short shocking the rear (spacer inside the chock so the eye to eye stays the same, but stroke reduced). I'm sure Keith would suggest to get a Phantom :) .
The 140mm 29er didnt make drastic changes to the geo.
*measured HA is 65.1 degrees, compared to around 65.5 with a 160mm 27.5" fork.
*BB is about 2-3mm higher than the 160mm 27.5 fork.
*Reach and stack also affected but hasnt been noticeable.

The 29er really does monster truck over rocks. and I havent noticed much difference in the cornering or general manoeuvrability.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts